University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
doodah

New

Post by doodah » Mon May 07, 2007 9:58 pm

Thanks Matokah...I really appreciate the reply...I am going to hang for the rest of the month then I will do exactly what you mentioned...I am checking on LSN and the acceptances/waitlists are all over the board regarding #'s...interesting....hopefully it meens that McGeorge is not just a number player... I will let you know how the cycle ends....I am thrilled about your apartment hunting and that you found one you felt comfortabe and safe with...Good luck to you Matokah!!!

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Mon May 07, 2007 11:43 pm

doodah: No problem, potential future classmate :)

I really do think McGeorge looks a bit beyond the numbers if you give them a reason to. I know it also helps to show your interest in the school. I was actually able to negotiate my scholarship up $5K/year by sending in a letter after my visit and describing what I liked about the school but how I couldn't currently afford to attend. Just keep a positive attitude and let them know you'll go on a moment's notice. I've heard that helps because they're more likely to offer remaining spots to people they know will attend as opposed to people they haven't heard from since their application went complete 3 months ago.

All the Pacific 0L's on TLS should set up a meeting time somewhere closer to orientation so we can get to know our future classmates. I guess that's what the rafting trip is for, though. :)

gypsy

New

Post by gypsy » Tue May 08, 2007 8:41 pm

Hi Doodah ~ I was just accepted at mcgeorge 2 weeks ago so there's still hope. I was planning to go to Denver (paid my 1st deposit and everything), but then here comes mcg with an acceptance and some $. You never know what could happen. I'm a little relieved to find out other people are just as stressed about moving and meeting people as I am. :)

doodah

New

Post by doodah » Wed May 09, 2007 1:50 am

Thanks for the well wishes you guys...I have been checking the LSN and there are still alot of openings I feel....Thank God for the rolling admissions of McGeorge....gives me hope....Congrats Gypsy and Matokah always a positive from you!!!! Gypsy was your acceptance day or evening program?

JarrettN

New

Hi All

Post by JarrettN » Wed May 09, 2007 4:52 pm

Hey All
I just got accepted to McGeorge, well I just found out I got a scholarship so I guess I just decided to attend.

I stumbled upon this site and saw that a few incoming students are on here. I just moved to Sacramento a month ago (midtown) so if you guys still have questions about housing feel free to ask.

How many of you are thinking about the rafting trip. Also another idea would be everyone from this site should get together a week before classes and get to know each other. Safety in numbers, it could be helpful in the first few weeks. I can't wait to quit my job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

herzchen

New

Post by herzchen » Wed May 09, 2007 11:22 pm

howdy y'all!

i haven't yet finalized when i'm returning to sactown and i'd probably live on-campus at mcgeorge if offered a spot (i'm on the prio list, whatever the heck that means).

i think i'll do the rafting trip but haven't yet signed up and agree that a TLS meet-up would be nice!! 8)

admittedly, i *do* still have one eye on the UCD wait list (man, i really hate not yet knowing for sure where i'm going... boo! :-/ ) -- it seems like i'd be kind of foolish not to go to davis if offered a spot, but i'm still unsure what i'll do if/when that happens; maybe i'll email mcgeorge's career services about public interest-y stuff in the meantime, b/c i have my eye on that as a strength of davis' compared to mcg...
BLEH and argh.

anyway, hang in there, doodah and TTYL, folks!

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Wed May 09, 2007 11:49 pm

Hey there JarrettN! Congrats on your decision to join the coolest McGeorge entering class evah (y'hear that, herzchen? That means you have to come, too ;)).

I'm thinking about the rafting trip, but I'm not really sure. I'm probably not moving in until 1 August or so, and I want to unpack and everything. Part of me really wants to go, though, so we'll see how it works.

Now I need to find a roommie for the condo I found so I can afford it. :P

herzchen

New

Post by herzchen » Thu May 10, 2007 1:11 am

matokah, you should totally do the rafting trip!! imho, haha.

a current 2L told me: I probably won't be able to go because I have the MPRE exam that Friday. But its going to be bomb.
and a 1L whose on-campus apt. i saw on LSD said "I would really
recommend going on the Beyond McGeorge rafting trip before school
starts, in addition to Orientation. I met and bonded with a few
people from my section, and it was one of the only opportunities I've
had to meet people in other sections and 2 and 3L's, as well. Plus,
it's a lot of fun, even if you've never been white-water rafting before.
"

saleen

New

Post by saleen » Thu May 10, 2007 12:00 pm

Boo for work. Yall will have to make the TLS meet-up after 5:30PM please!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Thu May 10, 2007 1:24 pm

saleen: I bet that could be arranged! And my sentiments exactly one work. I'll take that boo and raise you an ack. ;)

herzchen

New

Post by herzchen » Thu May 10, 2007 2:12 pm

haha we could meet saleen at the end of his work day and tease him about his job! heh... j/k. ;-)

gypsy

New

Post by gypsy » Thu May 10, 2007 8:13 pm

hey doodah ~ My acceptance was for the day program. I'm still on the fence about McGeorge, but I'm visiting next weekend and I hope I'll love it as much as everyone else seems to. Please tell me lots of good things about it! I was really looking forward to Denver, but I'm more interested in the McGeorge scholarship. I heard that McG is kinda tough on the 1st years. Have anyone heard anything along those lines?

BTW, I also can't wait to quit my job. I think I'll be moving to Sac in mid-July-ish.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Thu May 10, 2007 9:31 pm

gypsy: What do you want to know? I *think* I posted pictures earlier this thread, and if I didn't, let me know and I'll do that.

I mostly just loved how positive and friendly everyone's been at McGeorge. I also keep in touch with a few upperclassmen who say they've loved their experiences at McGeorge (one relocated from the Midwest where I am, so I was really glad to hear that, since I'm nervous about moving!).

I need to go fill out that room for rent form at McGeorge since I now have a condo in need of one more roomie (okay, in need of one at all since it'll just be me and a roommate, heh). Hopefully I can find someone before school starts!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nosorio2007

New

Post by nosorio2007 » Thu May 10, 2007 10:22 pm

I just finished my last undergrad exam and its starting to hit me that i'll be going to last school is less than three months....crazy.

gypsy

New

Post by gypsy » Fri May 11, 2007 2:15 pm

Basically, I'm looking for a school with nice people & good educators, nothing ultra competitive or mean-spirited like some other schools. Probably what most people are looking for. I want to go to school where I'll be happy (but totally stressed) for 3 years.

I didn't see photos or links to photos in this thread, but maybe I didn't see them. If it's easy for you to put em up that would be great, but don't sweat it. I'm going up next weekend for a visit.

I read in an earlier post you got a revised scholarship award. Is there a way to possibly get more $$ from the school?

saleen

New

Post by saleen » Fri May 11, 2007 2:18 pm

Yes there definitely is, I also got my scholarship increased simply by calling the dean of admissions and explaining to him that I really wanted to go there, but I couldnt quite make ends meet.

Now is the time to ask too, because people they have already offered money to are now saying they are going other places so that is freeing up scholarship money.

If possible, maybe even a face to face with Mr. Barrett while you are in town couldn't hurt.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Fri May 11, 2007 2:47 pm

gypsy: I PM'ed you in response to your question. :)

I'll post the link to the pictures when I get home from work tonight.

Yep! You can potentially get more money from McGeorge. I visited during a Legal Scholar Day and spoke to the dean of admissions (Adam Barrett). I emailed him to follow-up and sent my competing offers to him (although I know someone that didn't have any competing offers who still got an increase). They upped my scholarship from 10K to 15K/year which definitely helped my decision.

The people at McGeorge are incredibly friendly. I applied 2 years ago and met some McGeorge students I still keep in touch with (who'll be 3L's next year!). In addition, my future landlord transfered out of McGeorge, but has nothing but good things to say about the school (he transfered in order to have a better chance of working in the Bay Area after graduation is my understanding). Everyone says that, while the environment is competitive, people are friendly and helpful, as well. One of the soon-to-be 3Ls that I keep in touch with came from the Midwest just like me and said it was the best decision of his life, which makes me feel slightly less nervous about making the leap from Midwest to West Coast. :)

I'll post those pictures once I get home (no laughing at the crappy ones of me, though. . .it was my vacation, and dangit, I don't need to dress up on my vacation! Or do my hair. . .or look presentable in any way. . . ;))

Congrats on finishing finals, nosario!!

Edited because 2 years out of school and I apparently can't even form a grammatically correct sentence anymore. For shame!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JarrettN

New

Post by JarrettN » Sat May 12, 2007 7:26 pm

I know a few people that graduated from McGeorge and a couple guys in the night division (although I'm day.) From what I've heard everyone really likes McGeorge and as far as competition goes, well, there will always be competition in Law School but I've heard its fairly minimal at McGeorge. The atmosphere and their international law program are what really drew me to the school, that and the money they offered didnt hurt either. :lol:

I'm really stoked I found this site so at least I'll know a few people in my class before school starts. Not a big deal but one less thing to worry about. Once everyone from this site starts to move to town we should organize a night to meetup, grab a couple pints at a pub or something. If anyone has any questions bout living areas hit me up I know the areas ok and finished my search not long ago. I agree with the previous poster saying not to live in the area around campus. Its nice during the daytime but I've heard after dark there are better places to be walking alone, so to speak.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Mon May 14, 2007 12:13 am

D'oh. Totally forgot to post pictures.

Here they are:

--LinkRemoved--

I'd look at them from end to beginning because they downloaded backwards for some reason.

herzchen

New

Post by herzchen » Mon May 14, 2007 6:37 pm

i had fun viewing your pics, matokah! i will PM or post again w/additional comments. 8)

herzchen

New

don't you wanna REPRESENT?

Post by herzchen » Mon May 14, 2007 6:58 pm

so, i *believe* that matokah is the only other user from this particular mcgeorge thread who has thrown her hat into the "TLS Class of 2010" ring (it's a thread someone's maintaining: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 10&start=0)...

why is that? don't you want to show your pride for having chosen Pacific-McGeorge?!! come ON now! ;-D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

doodah

New

Post by doodah » Mon May 14, 2007 7:06 pm

If they would just let me in I would totally be standing extremely tall and proud to be at McGeorge!!!! Send me my acceptance letter PLEASE!!!!!!!! Matokah, I would be so happy to be on the McGeorge TLS Class of 2010 thread with you!!!!! I will keep you all posted!!!! But I must say I am alittle sad and frustrated at this time!!!! )-:

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Mon May 14, 2007 8:20 pm

doodah: Completely random question that has nothing to do with anything (that you don't have to answer if you don't want to), but are you a guy or a girl? For some reason I keep thinking guy, but I just realized I have absolutely no reason to think that, since I truly don't know. Just curious. :)

Hang in there, though. Have you written them a letter of continued interest? Have you called to ask for a status update? Have time to visit the school and ask to talk to an admissions counselor to show how serious you are about attending? Let them know you love them and that if they accept you, they don't have to worry about you going elsewhere. I really hope you get in!

doodah

New

Post by doodah » Mon May 14, 2007 9:51 pm

8) All California Guy!!! Yep they know who I am....but I think I will take your advice and reiterate how much I truly LOVE MCGEORGE one more time!!!!!!!! TAKE ME MCGEORGE I AM YOURS....FOREVER AND I WILL MAKE YOU PROUD!!!! :D

herzchen

New

Post by herzchen » Tue May 15, 2007 5:35 am

awwww. i'm sorry if i triggered any extra sadness/frustration, doodah! i'm sleep deprived and anxious / crazed myself and i've gotten into more than 1 school i really liked sooooooooo i need to shut up / not complain...

anyway, if/when i tell mcgeorge i'm out, i wish i could tell them to give you my spot!

and matokah--my scholarship would be yours...

y'know, if i were queen of the world...

meh.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”