University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
doodah

New

Post by doodah » Tue May 15, 2007 7:37 am

8) Touching herzchen....Thanks for the sentiment....And the possible spot at McGeorge....All the best at UCD....Maybe we can all grab a beer sometime and reminiscee this most stressful of times!

herzchen

New

Post by herzchen » Tue May 15, 2007 8:39 am

a beer? you betcha!

but. . .what if this is actually the least stressful of times? i mean, think of how you'd feel staring down the barrel of bar review as a 3L right now! (strapped with plenty of debt, in some cases...) accomplished, yes; but also freaked out. :shock:

not to say that i'm getting cold feet or losing all confidence in myself, though; it'll be fiiiiiiiiiine...

& i need some rest.

doodah

New

Post by doodah » Tue May 15, 2007 12:52 pm

LOL...Ok at this moments most stressful of times....at least for me...(just saw your LSN and congrats on all of your achievements) we will deal with the stress of law school (come on McGeorge) and the bar in their due time...lets not borrow trouble as the saying goes...(I think)!!!

doodah

New

Post by doodah » Sun May 20, 2007 10:41 pm

Well my friends....for me it is not to be, sadly...I have enjoyed our banter and all of your encouragement and well wishes...I will take the year off and work on soft factors and new LORs...ect....I will hopefully see you next year and I must say, Matokah I know you will rock McGeorge, Herzchen you will be awesome at UCD, Morpheous, my friend...You will truly do well no matter where you go...Is it Hastings now?....Thank you all and hey next year is just around the corner, I raise my beer and toast you all ! Take care you guys.

Doodah over and not out!

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Sun May 20, 2007 11:22 pm

Alright, I just turned in my room for rent (looking for a roommate) form to Pacific's housing director. I'm on top of things, for sure! :)

Thought I'd revive this thread to see who's started applying for loans. Looks like I'll probably end up with access group, but we'll see. There seems to be so much left to be done before I move out there!

Doodah: Any news yet?

herzchen: Are you officially an Aggie (or whatever they're called ;))? Don't worry; we can still be friends 8)

Other than that, I have nothing much more to say. I put in notice at my job which is exciting for me, and I've got a summer "downtime" job lined up to help me pay rent until I move. What more could I ask for?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bizzle

New

I got into McGeorge

Post by Bizzle » Sun May 20, 2007 11:28 pm

Hey - I got into McGeorge, my first law school choice. I hope to see everyone who has been accepted. I would like any comments that anyone would like to provide. I look forward to the rafting trip. I figure I would post something since my days of stressing about LSAT questions of Loggerhead Turtles and what was the experimental (see some of my past blogs - they're at the very least - hilarious!). So anyone who wants to talk about McGeorge - let me know! I know several of the professors already - not well, but I know them. I look forward to seeing several of my classmates from SAC STATE and some of my friends that are already in McG's.

I work for a large law firm in downtown Sacramento. I have four years legal experience in various areas of law. McGeorge is a great school and I look forward to starting in August. I have only one week left of my undergrad. I will enjoy working and going to school in the evening. I think this will be a great experience and I will meet some great people.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Mon May 21, 2007 12:26 am

Hi Bizzle! Nice to meet you. :)

I'll be a day student but maybe we'll cross paths. I think saleen might be an evening student, if I remember correctly.

I'm from Minnesota, so I have a nice long summer drive ahead of me, but I'm looking forward to starting fresh out there. Yay, warm weather!

I've been working for a fairly decently-sized firm (I think we have 800-1000 employees nationwide) for the past couple years, and I'm looking forward to going back to school.

Are there a lot of McGeorge grads at your current job? I hear McGeorge's reputation is pretty solid in Sacramento which is good to know!

So, you're going on the rafting trip, then? I think I might, as well! Seems like fun.

Bizzle

New

Post by Bizzle » Mon May 21, 2007 1:16 am

Yes, McGeorge is an excellent school - especially for practicing in Sacramento. My firm is not nearly as large as 800 to 1,000 - good God, that's not mid-size - that's a MONSTER! LOL! Well, our firm is large - for Sacramento. I'm sure I will see you around campus - I'll be the guy who looks like he hasn't slept for days - you may not be able to pinpoint me because I think most students will look like that! You should do the rafting trip - it's on the American River which is really tame compared to some I have been on. It's great you're from Minnesota because I'm a huge Vikings fan! Well I hope your travel over here is fun and enjoyable.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Mon May 21, 2007 12:54 pm

Bizzle: Well, at my location, we only have 5 people working, but the company overall (which is based out on the East Coast) has 800-1000 employees. We're just a small, backwater office.

Glad to hear McGeorge's reputation in Sacramento is good. It's nice to see it's the only ABA-accredited law school in Sacramento, as well. Here in the Twin Cities, we have 4 accredited schools (UMN, Hamline, William Mitchell, and St. Thomas), so I imagine the competition for jobs is pretty stiff. I know we'll have some Davis grads (and maybe some Bay Area ones?) looking for work here, but I assume McGeorge's status as the only law school in Sacramento definitely helps its graduates secure work!

I'm looking forward to the rafting trip. I'll be moving in the week before, so I won't have much time to get acclimated with the area, but it'll be nice to meet some future classmates before school starts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snap

New

Post by snap » Mon May 21, 2007 1:03 pm

what about the ever-venerated Lincoln Law school? - there might be some pretty stiff competition from those guys...

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Mon May 21, 2007 1:05 pm

snap: That's why I said "only ABA-accredited law school in Sacramento" ;)

Honestly, I don't know much about the school. Coming from out of state, I just knew I wanted to attend an ABA school in case I do decide to move back to MN after graduation. . .especially if those Lincoln Law school grads are going to be handed all the choicest jobs in the Sacramento market. :P

gypsy

New

Post by gypsy » Mon May 21, 2007 1:50 pm

hey everybody ~ I've been so out of the loop. Crazy busy with everything. I'm meeting with the Dean Barrett next Friday and I'm definitely going to poke around for some more $$. Can't hurt. :wink:

Bizzle

New

Post by Bizzle » Mon May 21, 2007 4:35 pm

In regards to Lincoln Law - I feel bad for those of them who did not get into McGeorge (if I wasn't accepted at McGeorge that was one of my alternatives). I would like to say that Lincoln is a good school and has provided Sacramento with many quality attorneys (the Sacramento DA graduated from Lincoln). I know many people who have led good careers out of that school or have transferred over to McGeorge. I need to say all of this because it is important not to feel too high-and-mighty - we all could have been in a different situation.

I feel very priviledged to study at McGeorge and I wish those attending Lincoln much luck - you are at a quality institution and you should be proud.

I am sure the rest of my classmates feel the same way.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Mon May 21, 2007 10:31 pm

Bizzle: No offense intended at all. I was just joking around. I honestly don't know anything about the school and didn't consider applying because in Minnesota, you can't sit for the bar at all if you go to an unaccredited school. I realize in California it's different.

Sometimes I gripe that I didn't get into higher-ranked schools like other people on this board, but at the same time, I realize I'm extremely fortunate just to have gotten the acceptances I did. Seriously, UMN is the only school I'm still waiting on and if I get in there, I'll likely still attend McGeoge (despite about 80 placements difference in the rankings). I like McGeorge and think it'll provide a great education for me.

gypsy: Good luck with requesting more money. It worked for me, and McGeorge seems very willing to secure quality students, so just be sincere when you ask, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

Bizzle

New

Post by Bizzle » Tue May 22, 2007 1:03 pm

I understand, I think McGeorge, though, is an excellent school - I know people who have attended Davis who have lesser jobs than students from McGeorge and Davis is ranked like 35th or something. I never even applied to Davis because I had a negative disposition toward Davis after I spoke with their Outreach Coordinator who told me that I couldn't work while I attended their law school - well, I like working at my firm and I love the people here and I refuse to give that up - the experience itself is great. I hope that everyone gets accepted to the schools that they most desire; however, if you do not, it is not the end of the world and there are always alternatives.

Best of luck to everyone!

gypsy

New

Post by gypsy » Tue May 22, 2007 6:08 pm

definitely only asking for more $ if it feels right at the time. i'm very happy with what i have and will continue to be grateful for it. 8-) and we are going to be attending an excellent school so yay us!

How do people in general feel about housing in the Sacramento area? I found a useful / interesting site. Enter the address and all the crimes will pop up from Jan - Apr. It's good and it's bad. Happy to have found it but now completely freaked out that i'm going to get mugged on the way home from school. thoughts / suggestions / comments? Sheltered party of 1?

--LinkRemoved--

BTW, Matokah - Thanks for the pics. Haven't had a chance to look at them yet, but will soon.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Tue May 22, 2007 7:42 pm

Bizzle: What type of law does the firm you currently work at do? Just curious, because my current firm practices in an area I have no interest in pursuing myself. :)

gypsy: One of the sites I liked the most while I was searching for housing was mynewspace.com, I believe. I liked that they'd pin-point certain areas that you're interested in and then you can look at the offerings in that area alone as opposed to looking in Sacramento in general and getting listings from Roseville down to Davis. Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bizzle

New

Post by Bizzle » Tue May 22, 2007 10:27 pm

My firm practices in the areas of business transactions, corporate, litigation, trust litigation, probate, estate planning, fiduciary abuse, entertainment, IP, securities, some family - but not a main area of practice, and real estate.

I am interested in probate and trust litigation, also estate planning but I would like to work in trust litigation and probate the most. I will be taking tax classes (when I find the time from my required courses) so that I will be proficient in tax law - which is important for estate planning and trust litigation. I work closely with our probate department - we have two fine lawyers who practice in that department.

In regards to the link that you are referring to - the "Crime Watch" link, that is an EXCELLENT thing for all students to do: CHECK THE AREA FOR CRIME! I'm SERIOUS! It is important that you, especially when you are a lady like I think some of the students on this site are, to be able to come home at night and not worry about being robbed, raped, or murdered.

Here are a list of several decent (yet expensive) apartment complexes that are all in nice areas:

Adagio (very swank), Hidden Lake Apartments (my apartments), and a place called something Oaks (not really sure).

My advice: don't go too cheap, unless you have to. I work so price wasn't a problem. When I was at Sac State for a while I lived in the Willow Grove Apartments on Hurley - not a good place - it was kinda ghetto and the police helicopters are always flying overhead and talking to criminals on the loudspeaker telling them to give themselves up. It was exciting at first but then became annoying and quite frankly, being a country boy myself, I am not very good with urban sprawl.

The apartments I'm at right now fit me fine - good management, ponds with ducks and geese (they piss off the ducks), and it's close to supermarkets and restaurants right off the I-5 and only about 4-5 miles from McGeorge (as a crow flies). I have a 2 bedroom 1 & 1/4 bathroom apartment and my total with all of my utilities (plus a cat) is $1,100/Mo and that is on the high end - like if I had left lights and TV on for a long time - I'm a bachelor so I sleep with the TV on a lot (LOL).

Hopefully some of this helps!

gypsy

New

Post by gypsy » Wed May 23, 2007 5:23 pm

Thanks for the info, guys. Can't wait to start checking out apartments.

herzchen

New

Post by herzchen » Fri May 25, 2007 9:27 am

so gypsy, your meeting w/dean barrett is in one week from today? or is it TODAY?! best wishes, in any case....

bizzle, it's true that davis' law school does not have a PT program and that mcgeorge places its grads in sacto jobs very well, but i think that if you look at comparisons of the #s on each school and don't just consider a smattering of cases, you'll find that davis grads place well in sac, have a lot of options about where to go to work (both geographically and in terms of job type) and that their USNWR tier 1 ranking has some actual basis in reality--e.g. quality of faculty/programs, earning potential and reputation.

that said, i would have been excited to attend mcgeorge if things hadn't panned out for me at davis--although i'm not interested in going to law school PT, nor do i plan on owning a car in the next few years.
in other words, davis makes sense for ME in a variety of ways, but mcgeorge could've been a GREAT choice for me too.

at the end of the day, i believe that all of us will have to do well during school in order to get the jobs we want and grads from both schools CAN and do get good jobs. :)

saleen

New

Post by saleen » Fri May 25, 2007 12:12 pm

Davis forums ----------------------------------> that way

haha. I think everyone is a little more worried then they have to be, lets concentrate on school first!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dannyk1101

New

Post by dannyk1101 » Fri May 25, 2007 4:40 pm

hey guys!

so this past week i was visiting family in SF and decided to visit McGeorge and see about my waitlist status. i had set up a meeting with the asst director of admissions and when i walked into the office she told me i had just gotten in!! whoohoo! i applied to just one other school but i'd much rather go to mcgeorge...

so it looks like i'll be joining y'all in a couple of months and cannot wait! i wanted put up a post to say hi to everyone and possibly see about a roommate situation?? i've been reading people say that the on-campus housing (which i want) is hard to come by? i actually haven't received my admission package yet so still not clear on a lot of things. i'm stoked about the rafting trip and can't wait to meet all of you!!!

anyways, PM me if you wanna talk about an apt search together. also for you myspacers: --LinkRemoved--

herzchen

New

Post by herzchen » Fri May 25, 2007 6:39 pm

saleen, are you attempting to kick me off the thread??
:-/
someone ELSE mentioned davis and i replied to that.
plus, i have experience at/with mcgeorge that could be useful to some ppl reading here and i made buddies here, damnit!
not to mention that i'm going to the nearest accredited law school and the two offer at least one joint course, not to mention the externships where students from the two schools are bound to cross paths.

dannyk: CONGRATULATIONS!
if you're interested in on-campus housing, i'd contact the housing manager at mcgeorge ASAP; i'm PM'ing you her contact info w/an additional note right now...

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Sat May 26, 2007 1:50 pm

Bizzle: My current firm does debt collection, but the last firm I worked for (also technically a debt collection firm) handled mostly deceased accounts, so I got to deal with probates, estates, trusts, and all that fun stuff. I actually found it quite interesting, although I assume you have to be pretty good with taxes to be able to do the wills and estate taxes and such.

herzchen: Definitely don't leave this thread! You're simply a McGeorge neighbor (in proximity), and the info you've provided has been helpful. Besides, at some point, we're all going to be collegues down the road, right? :)

dannyk: Congrats on getting off the waitlist! Are you going to be a day or evening student? I'm actually looking for a roommate for a condo I'm renting (don't honestly know much about McGeorge's housing). I'll PM you about some info I *do* know about finding a roommate through McGeorge, though. :)

herzchen

New

Post by herzchen » Sat May 26, 2007 2:22 pm

haha, thanks matokah.
and anyway, saleen knows he <3's me. ;-)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”