University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
travvo

New

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Post by travvo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:27 pm

This drama has helped make work go by faster the last 2 days.

On a completely non-related note. Is anyone else entertaining the possibility of trying to work in D.C. after graduating from McGeorge? In addition to Northern California I'm pretty fond of that city and politics. I do know that there is a sizeable network of alumn there.
Last edited by travvo on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:27 pm

I hope this isn't lost in the posts about anon of many names, but I have an extra Yosemite campsite reserved for August 1st. The site holds 2 cars and 6 people, so if you are interested in getting a group together let me know. If you are interested in hiking, Yosemite is the place to be!
Damn, I will not be out by then but that sounds right up my alley!

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:35 pm

Yeah this drama has been kinda fun, but I'm sure not for all of us. :?

8/1 is the weekend we're moving. I would love to do some more camping before our lives end this August, but I won't be able to make it that weekend.

Once my wedding and honeymoon is over with I am still interested in organizing a cookout/kegger somewhere for McG 0L's.

SJ: I didn't know you were between McG and SC. I guess I didn't pay close enough attention to your posts! :wink:
Last edited by antsinmypants on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:36 pm

antsinmypants wrote:eah this has been kinda fun, but I'm sure not for all of us. :?

8/1 is the weekend we're moving. I would love to do some more camping before our lives end, but I won't be able to make it at that time.

Once my wedding and honeymoon is over with I am still interrested in organizing a cookout/kegger somewhere for McG 0L's.

SJ: I didn't know you were between McG and SC. I guess I didn't pay close enough attention to your posts! :wink:
Ants: it was more of an internal struggle. I chose SC to be closer to family but I do love McGeorge!!

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:54 pm

SC made my decision easier by waitlisting me, but even if I had been accepted I still probably would have chosen McG (barring an insane scholarship offer). 14 of the 62 attorneys at the firm I work for graduated from McG... there's a little bias here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sands24

New

Post by sands24 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:45 pm

I WISH I can do the hiking in Yosemite! However, I'll be driving from NY (UGH) starting August 1st and driving cross-country to Sacramento... kill me now :)

Any housing prospects? Roommates, anyone? I'm still playing with the idea of getting a 2 bedroom rather than a 1 - anyone in?

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:00 pm

I'm leaving from NY (saratoga springs) the same day, I'll race you.

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:12 pm

LOL i'm in some of y'alls heads. you probably have nightmares about me. what you should be having nightmares about is the possibility of spending the rest of your natural lives in sacramento

kimbowmanjr

New

Post by kimbowmanjr » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:28 pm

Nah, we're not worried. There's strength in numbers, and shady tactics are a pretty terrible way to make friends. The McGeorge 1L's I've met on here are more about being affable and enjoyable people who value relationships as well as their education.

I think what was said at my MBA orientation is equally true for law school: half of what you get out of your degree will be based on the people you get it with. Those are the people you'll associate and do business with for the rest of your life.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

americangirlinparis

New

Post by americangirlinparis » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:08 pm

To Trav and Sands - enjoy the trip! I am *almost* finished with mine...Paris to London to Pennsylvania to Oregon. Current location - Washington. Whew...it's SNOWING in Idaho and Montana today! Definitely didn't expect to go from the sweltering heat of PA on Friday to SNOW today...but the mountains are beautiful so I guess that makes up for it.

I missed all the drama on the thread (can't say I'm sad about it) but I'll just throw my support behind what a bunch of others have already said: the overwhelming majority of the future McG 1Ls (and the 2/3Ls too) I've "met" on FB and TLS have all been great. I've gotten the sense that although we may be each others' competition while in school there is still an understanding that we're going to be colleagues for the rest of our legal careers. We're going to be the only ones who understand what this is like soon...so we should stick together :)

Ants: congrats on your wedding!! hope the planning is going smoothly and we should definitely all hang out before life becomes crazy (or crazier).

Trav: DC is in my longterm plans...I was probably going to end up working out there if I didn't go to law school and other than west coast schools the DC area was the only other place I even looked. I love the city and I definitely plan on somehow intertwining law with my Poli. Sci. degree in the future.

Hope everyone's enjoying their summers and good luck on The Great Housing Quest.

tequilasunriseplz

New

Post by tequilasunriseplz » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:25 pm

travvo wrote:
On a completely non-related note. Is anyone else entertaining the possibility of trying to work in D.C. after graduating from McGeorge? In addition to Northern California I'm pretty fond of that city and politics. I do know that there is a sizeable network of alumn there.
D.C. is at the top of my list for post-law school. I lived there for a short time and LOVED it. Great place to walk around and see all of the sites. I lived at Dupont Circle and my friends lived in Adams Morgan, so between the two locations there were the BEST restaurants in the city. Other than humid summers, I'm really looking forward to going back (life just isn't quite complete without Mon. night poker with friends).

sigh...anyway, are you interested in state or federal politics? I hear Pacific McG has some unbeatable local gov. externships. As ants knows, I'm quite attracted by intn'l politics so SF or DC (decisions decisions). --sidenote: the girl in me wants to hear more about fashion law (NYC!) if anyone wants to share--

and kim I think your last comment is right on. I'm pretty happy this group is so social & friendly.

francobobfranco

New

Post by francobobfranco » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:02 am

I completely disagree with the poster who said, in not so many nice words, that we're only limited to the Sacramento market. I was doing some research on how McGeorge places outside of Sacramento and found out some very encouraging information. According to the CDO (Career Development Office) at McGeorge, only about 60% of McGeorge graduates end up staying in Sacramento. 8-10% of graduates find jobs in Southern California (I'm not sure about the numbers for the rest of Northern California) and there are actually McGeorge graduates in all 50 states and several different countries. As for the people who were interested in finding employment opportunities in Washington DC, there are lots of McGeorge alumni there. Martindale.com listed 36 (and usually thats a huge underestimate...its probably a few times more). There is even an alumni chapter in DC and a website on McGeorge.edu dedicated to it (--LinkRemoved--). Sweet.

skylar

New

Post by skylar » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:48 am

As for housing, what's the 411 on the McKinley Park area? The woman at the tourism office said someone "like me" should live there, lol...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:53 am

McKinley Park is in east Sacramento, which is a nice, quiet older residential area of town. It would be an easy commute to McGeorge from there.

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:53 am

Tequila - I am interested in progressive politics of all stripes, spent a summer working for the Democratic National Comittee in D.C. and hope to do some work for Obama this fall (with the little time i have available i'm sure). I'd love to eventually return to d.c.; One great way to do that would be to work for a local congressman from CA or in one of the senators' offices.

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:23 pm

travvo wrote:Tequila - I am interested in progressive politics of all stripes, spent a summer working for the Democratic National Comittee in D.C. and hope to do some work for Obama this fall (with the little time i have available i'm sure). I'd love to eventually return to d.c.; One great way to do that would be to work for a local congressman from CA or in one of the senators' offices.
Outside of phone banks (which is AWFUL) or possibly some online work I doubt there will be much going on in terms of the Obama campaign here. California's usually a foregone conclusion in terms of presidential elections. As an undergrad I interned at the district office of a bad-ass congressman from my area (George Miller). It was quite dull, however the long term benefits (they had a role in my undergrad scholarship and possibly my transfer into UCLA) obviously made it worthwhile. Working in a different function should be much more rewarding though.

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:34 pm

California is one of the bluest states in the union (save NY and MA). Fundraising is really the most effective thing to do in these states which I did during the 2006 elections and that was great. Unless there is time to take a day and drive to Nevada (a big time swing state this year), you're right there isn't much to do as far as voter outreach is concerned.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:58 pm

oh, and kevsocko .. your mom is in my head. not you. but honestly we had a really romantic weekend last week. she's great.

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:08 pm

I LOVE politics, but I HATE campaign work. I quit the last campaign I worked on because of the idiot running it. I told her I would do anything except phone banks and canvassing (at the time I had an outside sales job that was all cold calls on the phone and in person and it SUCKED)... guess what she made me do? I mean a Poli Sci degree from UCLA with a 3.49 and gobs of campaign and district office experience and all she wanted me to do was grunt work!? I'm obviously still a bit sore about this one.

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:09 pm

travvo wrote:oh, and kevsocko .. your mom is in my head. not you. but honestly we had a really romantic weekend last week. she's great.
I was about to leave a comment about this on my last post, but it was too raunchy for public viewing so I censored myself. There's so many different directions to take this one though! :twisted:

americangirlinparis

New

Post by americangirlinparis » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:18 pm

I spent basically 15 months doing voter contact (amongst other things) - first as an office and volunteer coordinator during the '06 elections and then from basically the day after the midterms up until the caucuses in January '08 (I did my undergrad. in Iowa) as a RFM for a presidential campaign.

After 12 hours of phone calls some days I just wanted to curl up in a ball I hated it so much...but the other perks were unbeatable. My friends think I'm crazy because I'd complain and complain about having to direct yet another phone bank but whenever I'd get a call asking me to help on someone's campaign I'd be there. And even though I swore to myself that I was done in December I'm pretty sure I'll be back in the game at some point this fall...even if only because there's just no way to meet people, network, and get involved in a community that's better than grassroots politics.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:20 pm

kevsocko wrote:Subject: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
antsinmypants wrote:Chalk this up to an unpleasant learning experience. At least we don't have to go to school with that ass-clown Kevsocko... he's the sort of person that would tear pages out of books in the library. Sucks to be UC Hastings Class of '11.

LOL at Mcgeorge, period. Sacramento is the worst place on earth. Stop trying to make yourself feel better about your crappy school, AND making huge assumptions about people based on anonymous internet board postings. Once upon a time, the point of the internet was not to find the emotional support missing from your real lives, but to make fun of other people.
Check out this PM Kevsocko wrote me!

I think I might be beginning to get under his skin if he's switched from public rants to personal messages.

Anyone think it's time to report this prick, or are people still amused by his idiocy?

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:27 pm

i can't wait to be kevsockos boss some day... "more coffee now! you little b*tch*

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:21 pm

So to shift away from negativity and more onto stressful matters... does anyone know if we're going to be assigned reading and/or work the weekend between orientation and first day of classes? I was just invited to go somewhere that weekend and I don't know what to say.

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:26 pm

Good question... I would imagine we probobly will have some sort of reading to prep for the first class but i'm not sure.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”