University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:21 am

Congrats on the apartment, Ipsa! And thanks for adding to that list. Wow, we have a lot of people on this board. I'm really excited by how many people have been posting.

JarrettN

New

Post by JarrettN » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:38 am

nice ipsa, I remember how good of a feeling it was to finally have found a place. did you end up in midtown?

Oh and little more fin. aid info for people. So I read some of the fine print and from what I understand any of the lenders we set up through (wells fargo for me) are geared towards the loan disbursement occuring on the 13th, which is when it is due to the school. The delay that might occur is the rest of the funds (rent, food, booze, etc) reaching us. They told me that the loan will disburse on the 13th but it could take up to ten more days for the money to get to us, but it was implied that the school would have what they need. Hope that helped. I'm just glad I spent the last year and a half or so saving what I could for just this type of predicament.

Oh yeah I'm not a psycho that stays up all late and shit, I just got off work.

I'm evil Harry Potter ( I don't condone non original cookie cutter novels) came out at midnight. From an east coast connection I found out what happens in the end. I swore that if any potter fanatic gave me a hard time at the bar I would ruin the book for them. As a courtesy to any of you that read them I won't say what I said, but lets put it this way the dude regretted being a dick, and I ruined the book for him. Do not pity this man he deserved far worse than what he got.

Sejal319

New

Post by Sejal319 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:36 pm

Hmm so I just got accepted off the wait list Loyola Law in L.A. :?

herzchen

New

Post by herzchen » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:49 pm

so sejal, are you going to go to loyola? would you rather work in the LA area after law school?

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:28 pm

Congrats, Sejal! It was a very difficult decision for me to choose between Loyola LA and McGeorge back in March. I think what it comes down to (as herzchen already mentioned) is whether you want to work in LA/Southern CA or in Sacramento/Northern CA.

Well, that and whether or not you're able to get your living situation together in time at Loyola LA to be able to move there.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stellenboschmaties

New

Post by stellenboschmaties » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:10 pm

okay. so i'm just a little tired of driving! four f-ing days in my taurus and i'm STILL not done! i'm looking to hit sac around thursday of next week. hopefully, i'll be able to find an apartment relatively quickly, cause i'm tired of living out of my suitcase and it's only day four!

i'm looking forward to meeting all you kind folks! sounds like we'll have plenty for a great party!

we got up early and purchased harry potter and have been devotedly reading while the other drives. i completely understand jarrett's sentiments about ruining it for the dickheads. i can't say that i'm innocent of that particular crime myself (granted it was the last book, i'm still anxiously awaiting finding the secrets of book 7 as i go.)

i hope everyone's having a great week. it's starting to sink in now! crap! we're gonna be in law school in a couple short weeks!

samm

gypsy

New

Post by gypsy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:01 pm

Hey - I've been out of the loop for a while, but have been trying to sorta keep up. I'm in town already and BORED OUT OF MY MIND!!! If anyone wants to hang out, definitely get in touch. I'm going to try to make it to Ink on the 5th to meet everyone, too. (btw, my name is Ileana.)

Bizzle

New

Post by Bizzle » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:56 pm

Sorry that I don't post very often on here guys, I tend to be more on myspace than anything. I know this is just repetitive, but that's my nature - so I look forward to meeting everyone at Ink on the 5th, and I also would like to invite anyone who would like to add me on myspace to check out my profile -

--LinkRemoved--

Sejal319

New

Post by Sejal319 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:45 am

I decided on Loyola Law today, it was a really tough decision but I think it's for the better as it coincides more with my future plans.

I'm really sad I won't get to meet you guys but good luck to all of you and keep in touch - we're all 1Ls anyway :)

Good luck you guys!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gypsy

New

Post by gypsy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:47 am

Good luck at Loyola Sejal! Sorry you won't be suffering with us, but you'll love LA.

stellenboschmaties

New

Post by stellenboschmaties » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:47 am

good luck sejal! hope la treats you well!

bizzle, your profile is set to private, so we can't view it without you adding us first!

any tips on where to locate apartments for rent? craigslist pickins are getting slimmer by the day. i'm sure i'll find something once i get there, but i'd at least like to have some research done by then.

hope everyone's having a great monday!

samm

Bizzle

New

Post by Bizzle » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:05 pm

Yeah I know it's private - just add me as a friend and I'll accept.

If you are looking for apartments - try RENT.COM that is the best place to look for surrounding apartments in Sacramento.

sloane peterson's father

New

Post by sloane peterson's father » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:22 pm

also for apartments in the downtown/midtown area, try http://www.cadanet.org
i used to rent from them and had good luck. hth!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dannyk1101

New

Post by dannyk1101 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:39 pm

These two are pretty good too for midtown apts:

http://www.sacramentorentals.com

http://www.nielsenproperty.com

Artful_Dodger

New

Post by Artful_Dodger » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:08 pm

Hey Sejal!

congrats again on Loyola! Be sure to keep in touch and keep me posted! I sure do love LA, but I do like Sacramento as well. I'll be rooting for you from up north... haha!

Looks like we've got a big group at Ink on Sunday night. I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

stellenboschmaties

New

Post by stellenboschmaties » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:25 pm

thanks for all the tips! i'm still hunting and will let you guys know when i find something!

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:26 pm

A couple more property management company sites...

http://www.midtownrent.com

http://www.mmproperties.com

I would also suggest just going to the area where you are interested in living and looking for "For Rent" signs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:30 pm

There's a problem with the unit I am moving to. I might not be able to move until after classes start. Argh!

(I already live in a suburb of Sacramento so I won't miss class, I just wanted to get the moving done prior to the start of school.)

exception311

New

Post by exception311 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:39 am

Ugh, I'm still in limbo on the waitlist but if you guys don't mind I'd like to head out to INK just cause I feel a sense of camaraderie with you folks after following this thread the past few months.

I'm also driving up to McGeorge today (Tuesday the 24th) to bug them and see if that helps me at all. If any of you are free to hang out during the day maybe we can grab lunch or something. Give me a call if you're down.

Lân
202-345-4732

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:03 pm

Ipsa: Sorry to hear about your apartment troubles. Moving is stressful enough as it is without having to worry about starting up classes and such. :? Maybe see if you can get a cut off your first month's rent or something to at least make the extra difficulty worthwhile?

Lân: I think I speak for everyone (hopefully!) when I say, yes! Come to INK with us. You've been a big part of getting everyone together for this event, so why not? Do you have a back-up school you're going to if McGeorge doesn't work out?

I would definitely try to meet up with Adam Barrett while you're at McGeorge. Stress again how much you want to attend. Maybe even say you've already been in touch with some incoming students and feel like you'd fit in wonderfully. :) Maybe once Sejal withdraws you can have her spot, as well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

OregonGirl07

New

Post by OregonGirl07 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:10 pm

Definitely meet with Adam. He is the one who recommended to the committee that they take me off the waiting list, at least that is what he said on the phone. LOL. Also, definitely come out to INK with us.

I am headed back down to Sacramento on Friday to move stuff into my apartment. Then I am riding back up to Oregon with my dad and brother, so I can spend my birthday with my family. Then I am officially hitting the road for good on the 4th.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adupe

New

Post by adupe » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:42 pm

I 3rd those Adam Barrett comments. He's the one who also got me off the waitlist. (I think he just waits around for people to come talk to him so he can get them off the list :))

Taking the long trip (well I guess not so long compared to those out of state) up on Friday. Can't wait!

Also, about the Perkins loan. Can't remember who was asking, but I called and they said we will find all this out at a workshop in orientation.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:25 pm

Thanks for the info on the Perkins loan, adupe. It's just one less thing I need to worry about during this crazy week where I'm simultaneously trying to clean and pack (maybe I shouldn't have let my room get so trashed over the past year. . .that's what I get for working two jobs. :P).

dannyk1101

New

Post by dannyk1101 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:47 am

so one of my lawyer friends shared this with me the other day.. SO HILARIOUS!

These are from a book called Disorder in the American Courts, and are things people actually said in court, word for word, taken down and now published by court reporters who had the torment of staying calm while these exchanges were actually taking place.

ATTORNEY: This myasthenia gravis, does it affect your memory at all?
WITNESS: Yes.
ATTORNEY: And in what ways does it affect your memory?
WITNESS: I forget.
ATTORNEY: You forget? Can you give us an example of something you forgot?
WITNESS: My name is Susan!
WITNESS: We do.
ATTORNEY: You do?
WITNESS: Yes, voodoo.

WITNESS: Did you actually pass the bar exam?
ATTORNEY: Were you present when your picture was taken?
WITNESS: Are you serious?
WITNESS: None.
ATTORNEY: Were there any girls?
WITNESS: Your Honor, I think I need a different attorney. Can I get a new attorney?
WITNESS: Now whose death do you suppose terminated it?
WITNESS: Guess.
ATTORNEY: Doctor, how many of your autopsies have you performed on dead people?
WITNESS: All my autopsies are performed on dead people. Would you like to re-phrase that?
ATTORNEY: Do you recall the time that you examined the body?
WITNESS: The autopsy started around 8:30 p.m.
ATTORNEY: And Mr. Denton was dead at the time?
WITNESS: No, he was sitting on the table wondering why I was doing an autopsy on him!
ATTORNEY: Did you check for blood pressure?
WITNESS: No.
ATTORNEY: Did you check for breathing?
ATTORNEY: So, then it is possible that the patient was alive when you began the autopsy?
ATTORNEY: How can you be so sure, Doctor?
WITNESS: Because his brain was sitting on my desk in a jar.
ATTORNEY: I see, but could the patient have still been alive, nevertheless?
WITNESS: Yes, it is possible that he could have been alive and practicing law.

riderz12

New

Post by riderz12 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:34 am

Hello everyone, I'm another future 1L at McGeorge. I'm from Cincinnati and will be driving out to California from Ohio starting Friday. I plan on taking about a week to get out there so I should be in Sacramento in time for the meet up on the 5th.

I've secured a one bedroom apartment on campus in Southacre. I'll also be going on the rafting trip. I noticed a few of you are moving from out of state and its nice to know there will be some fellow Midwesterners at McGeorge.

Just thought I would check in with you guys. I'm glad your trying to meet up before school starts since I know zero people in California. I need to get back to packing and planning my trip, but I look forward to meeting everyone and starting school.

Btw, my real name is Billy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”