University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Eliza

New

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Post by Eliza » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:49 pm

hey,

i know its waaaay late in the game, but I'm regreting not applying to McGeorge--my numbers are low 149/3.8---but do you think it is worth it all--even if the chance of acceptance is slim...?

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:30 pm

snaps wrote:thanks for being honest, ipsa. appreciate it. :D

if you had to make the decision over again, would you still choose mcgeorge? are you happy with your choice and the school overall?
Yes, I would still choose McGeorge. I think going to law school is one of the best choices I have made and there is a lot about my school that I like.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:32 pm

Eliza wrote:hey,

i know its waaaay late in the game, but I'm regreting not applying to McGeorge--my numbers are low 149/3.8---but do you think it is worth it all--even if the chance of acceptance is slim...?
You don't really have anything to lose by applying. Not sure what to tell you with the #s. Your LSAT's pretty low for day division, but you might get into the evening division.

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:23 pm

:P

Bhpreppy

New

Post by Bhpreppy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:13 pm

Did anyone else get a decision rendered today? That's what my status says now...should I be expecting a ding with that kind of status or is it still 50-50? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:39 pm

Just withdrew today, hope my spot and $$ goes to a TLSer!!

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:43 pm

i withdrew today as well, good luck guys

jribe

New

Post by jribe » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:48 pm

Anyone have any idea about acceptance of late applicants? I just applied on the 12th, but haven't taken the LSAT yet. I kept going back and forth if i was going to do the law school thing or not. I worked full-time throughout my undergrad, and have done pretty well considering. GPA is 3.6, but i'm just worried that i can't take the LSAT until June. Obviously the school starts in August. Anyone hear from people in a similar situation? I'm just kicking myself for not taking it back in Feb..

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:05 pm

Status tracker just switched to "Waitlist information mailed." 169/2.89 complete 2/25

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LarryDavid2009

New

Post by LarryDavid2009 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:46 am

accepted today, no change on online status tracker (still says complete, has since 1/23/09)

homebrewer

New

Post by homebrewer » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:12 am

seatown12 wrote:Status tracker just switched to "Waitlist information mailed." 169/2.89 complete 2/25
169? Sounds like YP to me.

rvill7

New

Post by rvill7 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:27 pm

Is anyone around McG today?

=)

francheezy

New

Post by francheezy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:14 pm

Got my acceptance on 3/28!

...On the same day, I got accepted to Seton Hall... what to do! :?

Still waiting on UC Hastings... *crosses fingers & toes*

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

macguy4242

New

Post by macguy4242 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:42 pm

anyone looked into housing yet? i emailed the housing office last week but no response...

shinkirou

New

Post by shinkirou » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:27 am

I sent my deposit a few days ago and I am most likely going to attend McGeorge this fall. Anyone have any possibilities for housing and such?

bobothecat

New

Post by bobothecat » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:40 am

I'm starting to look into housing as well and would love some suggestions as to neighborhoods/apt communities...I've heard Natomas been thrown out there on this thread, any others? Ideally, I'd love to be at most a 15 minute drive away (non-rush hour at least) from school and I'm looking for nice apt community with facilities.I've never been to Sacramento but will be going for ASD in about 3 weeks and would like to look at places then. Is a car a necessity in Sacramento?

Thanks for your help!!

raimorris

New

Post by raimorris » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:17 am

bobothecat wrote:I'm starting to look into housing as well and would love some suggestions as to neighborhoods/apt communities...I've heard Natomas been thrown out there on this thread, any others? Ideally, I'd love to be at most a 15 minute drive away (non-rush hour at least) from school and I'm looking for nice apt community with facilities.I've never been to Sacramento but will be going for ASD in about 3 weeks and would like to look at places then. Is a car a necessity in Sacramento?

Thanks for your help!!
North Natomas is my favorite area of Sacramento for living. I am acutally buying a condo there! Curtis Park and the area around the zoo are very nice and close to the school. The east sac/ midtown area on J street outside of downtown is artsy and it has a lot of restaurants. If I were to rent I would go to Avondale Apartments in the green haven/ pocket area. Its 10 minutes from campus (in traffic) and the pocket area is really safe. The apartments are really cheap (from my point of view) I think the one bedroom was $770 and two bedroom $912 (with the specials which the manager said would last until the summer). I hope this helps!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dman

Bronze

Post by Dman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:49 am

I have a question on housing in Sac if someone could either reply here or PM me. I am a non-traditional student looking to rent a 4-5 bedroom house, I want it to be in a quiet & safe(clean) neighborhood without a commute much more than 15-20 min tops. So far I have been looking at either North Natomas or Elk Grove. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate the insight .

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:50 pm

I asked earlier if McGeorge dominates, and there seems to be some debate about that. However, maybe you can answer this for me: does the housing around McGeorge dominate? Just post here or PM me.

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:53 pm

I toured the housing while I was visiting, and it seemed really nice/fine. The convenience to campus is the best part. It goes pretty fast, so you have to get on top of it once your deposit is in. I'll probably know by the end of next week whether I'm going to be going for sure, and plan on getting on the waiting list for housing ASAP.

However, if you want to live off campus, I personally thought the mid-town area was really cool. While doing a drive-by (hmm..), I saw college-aged kids playing cornhole and dudes walking their dogs. It seems like it would be a good place for a 20-something in law school. It's also pretty close and parking is free at McGeorge so getting to campus wouldn't be too much of an issue.

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:59 pm

alright, so annapavlova has made her opinion clear: mcgeoge housing does dominate. anyone care to respond?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:28 pm

I lived in Sac for around a year and am applying to McGeorge this fall. I just want to reiterate that areas like Natomas seem nice and new but they often have more crime than you'd think. Not that it's like Beirut, just that the new housing throws you off. Sacramento and San Joaquin Valley seem that way throughout, defying expectations about nice versus safe. There are some gated complexes, but they can get expensive.

Might play around with this (it's laggy) -
--LinkRemoved--

If you want some really run-down, scary stuff, go through certain parts of Stockton. Reminds me a bit of The Wire.

If I attend McGeorge, I'll probably start to look for a place somewhere in Midtown (if I can find a place with off-street parking) or the Pocket. There's more of a night-life to midtown Sac than you'd think.

Edit - Obviously, campus housing seems like a great option and I'd try to get in there if only for proximity.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:10 am

homebrewer wrote:
seatown12 wrote:Status tracker just switched to "Waitlist information mailed." 169/2.89 complete 2/25
169? Sounds like YP to me.
Speaking as someone who's worked in the McGeorge Admissions office, I'd say you can't really define anything as a yield protection without knowing how McGeorge reviews its applicants. A 2.89 GPA is well below their 25th percentile, and going complete on 2/25 suggests this wasn't one of the earlier applications.

Yes, a 169 is an excellent LSAT score and WELL above McGeorge's 75th percentile (by about 10 points, I'd wager), but McGeorge truly does look at the application as a whole. A huge LSAT score is not determinative of an acceptance, especially when other factors (such as a lower GPA) are lower than they normally accept.

Just wanted to point that out.

That said, if you're interested in getting off the waitlist, definitely let McGeorge know via letter or a phone call. From my experience, admissions counselors are receptive to knowing you're interested. :)

If anyone's wondering, like Ipsa, I'm also a 2nd year day student at McGeorge who is very satisfied with my school experience thus far.

And for those talking about locations to live, I can only really attest to my location: Arden-Arcade, a neighborhood about 3-4 miles from downtown (east of it) and about 7 miles from school. It takes me 15 minutes tops to get to school every day.

Arden is very commercial. Name a popular restaurant (fast food or otherwise) and it's likely within 10 blocks of where you choose to live. I personally live in a condo community where people own their homes, so it's nice and quiet and secluded. If you decide to live in Arden, I'd visit during a rush hour type time so you can get an idea of the noise level, but overall, I've been quite pleased by the location. I can get to my externship in downtown in about 10 minutes and to school in less than 15. I imagine I probably pay less rent for more space than people who choose to live in trendier Midtown, as well.

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to PM me. Sometimes I forget to check this place for, oh, about 8 months at a time. But I get email notifications when PMs end up in my inbox, so I'm generally good at getting back to people that way. :)

Edited for a mistake I made earlier this week and couldn't update then because my internet wasn't agreeing with me. :P

shinkirou

New

Post by shinkirou » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:57 am

I couldn't find a Facebook group for the incoming fall class, so I created one! If that applies to you, come join so everyone can start communicating :)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group ... 674&ref=nf

LizLemon

New

Post by LizLemon » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:14 pm

Liz Lemon is in!!! WOOO. I'm going to Legal Scholars day on 4/24.

158/3.7

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”