University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
skylar

New

Re: Why 2 McGeorge 2011 Facebook groups?

Post by skylar » Fri May 30, 2008 7:24 pm

McGeorge2011 wrote:Skylar, why create a second McGeorge 2011 facebook group when there was already one created before that :?:
See
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=13195656831

Eeenteresting. I saw no such group, hence why I made one. You sure it was up first? I searched both Pacific and McGeorge when I was looking for groups and did so for about two weeks before I finally caved into being "that guy" and creating one.

Either way, two must enter the ring, but only one may leave.

McGeorge2011

New

Post by McGeorge2011 » Fri May 30, 2008 9:12 pm

skylar wrote:
McGeorge2011 wrote:Skylar, why create a second McGeorge 2011 facebook group when there was already one created before that :?:
See
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=13195656831

Eeenteresting. I saw no such group, hence why I made one. You sure it was up first? I searched both Pacific and McGeorge when I was looking for groups and did so for about two weeks before I finally caved into being "that guy" and creating one.

Either way, two must enter the ring, but only one may leave.
The group was created on May 11, 2008. When was your group created?
It does show up on McGeorge or Pacific searches. Just do a search and it will show up.
The name of the group is "Pacific McGeorge Class of 2011" so it has both those words in the name of the group.

skylar

New

Post by skylar » Fri May 30, 2008 9:57 pm

McGeorge2011 wrote: The group was created on May 11, 2008. When was your group created?
It does show up on McGeorge or Pacific searches. Just do a search and it will show up.
The name of the group is "Pacific McGeorge Class of 2011" so it has both those words in the name of the group.
I don't remember when I created it, but it was around then or so because I'd just gotten back from France. But it took a few days to take off since I didn't know anyone else going to McG. And yes, I realize your group has both words, lol... it just didn't show up for whatever reason. (Actually, I saw it but said, "The glory shall be MINE!" lol...j/k) Maybe we made them the same day and the Facebook Gods looked down and laughed at us! However, looking at your group, it's kind of weird that there's not even a single wall post. You'd think people would want to chat and get to know each other. That's kinda sad :'( Maybe our group is just bored more often!

tequilasunriseplz

New

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Post by tequilasunriseplz » Fri May 30, 2008 11:01 pm

Well, people did warn me that there would be drama reminiscent of high school in law school. I really didn't expect to see anything of the sort pre-1L. Does it matter that there are two groups?

and ants-tisk tisk, I think you'd like a cat fight. :roll:

skylar

New

Post by skylar » Fri May 30, 2008 11:17 pm

Hah, I hope this isn't drama! I think the situation's pretty funny. I do kinda wish we could edit group names after we create them because we could make the groups into teams or something else equally silly. Or play Red vs. Blue. Or even better, make each group into a large flip cup team for that night before orientation.

However, if there is to be drama, did you ever have any doubt that it would come from Facebook? They said the antichrist would be attractive and charismatic... But from what I've heard, most of the law school drama comes from the rampant casual sex brought on by extreme stress.

It only matters because each group didn't know the other existed, hence two groups of incoming students who aren't mingling. At least, that's how I thought about it. Particularly because I'm currently trying to find roommates/a place to live!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Fri May 30, 2008 11:55 pm

Aw HELL my fiancé will flip if she sees that comment about the casual sex!

This is entertaining, but I would much rather be a member of a class that gets along with one another and doesn't do any of that tearing pages out of books and crap. Pissing matches in law school is unavoidable though because it is in the very nature of law students to bicker.

I wouldn't call this drama though... it's more like jousting. :twisted:

skylar

New

Post by skylar » Sat May 31, 2008 12:22 am

Haha, we're assuming (hoping!) you're not going to be involved with the casual sex part! That would DEFINITELY qualify as drama! But don't worry, you can still get in on the rampant alcoholism part. Heck, invite her along! Drunks love company. Or at least this one does.

But I don't think there'll be book stealing/tearing, unless it's just a normal personal vendetta. I purposely chose McGeorge because it was so low-key and friendly on campus. I visited during the last three days of finals, and people were still amazingly friendly and playing volleyball. The way I look at it, drama will always exist because dramamongers will always exist; it's how you react to it. After all, dramamongers rarely are convenient enough to only go after each other. But we'll hope there are none in our class. Too bad I'm a realist!

americangirlinparis

New

Post by americangirlinparis » Sat May 31, 2008 2:13 am

Really? This is the issue? :roll: Oh the drama...
Lol...this is NOT what I expected when I decided to check back with the feed :) It's true though, I chose McGeorge in part because the vibe from the students was a lot less competitive and intense than at other schools. Clearly where there are law students there will be competition, but I think for the most part it will be a lot less ridiculous than some other schools.

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Sat May 31, 2008 5:28 pm

OH MY GOD! 2 FACEBOOK GROUPS!!!! HOLY SHIT! WOW I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU CREATED ANOTHER ONE SKYLAR HOW DID YOU MISS IT!!! (loving the facebook popularity turf call out) What is this, the week before prom at Beverly Hills High School? I think someone needs a drink (or two)! :shock:

On a more serious and relevant note has anyone heard back re: on-campus housing?

On an even more important and more pressingly relevant note, its saturday and its past 5, I NEED A BEER. Anybody wanna fly out to NYC for happy hour? I got first round.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:22 pm

McGeorge2011 has been strangely quiet. Have we scared her off?

skylar

New

Post by skylar » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:18 pm

So is no one really looking for a roommate? I've seen one other person looking for roommates. Or maybe I come off as crazy. Who knows.

Is everyone getting a 1 bedroom to themselves? Because, wow, I wish I could justify that to myself, lol... the bare basic loans are enough to terrify me.

kimbowmanjr

New

Post by kimbowmanjr » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:06 pm

I'm planning on getting either a one bedroom or a really nice studio. I figure it's better than taking a chance on a roommate that I might not like living with at some point. Besides, it's just $X,XXX per month for three years on top of the rest of our debt...that's nothin' once we're all pulling down six figures in our fancy new careers as lawyers :wink:

stuffedburrito

New

Post by stuffedburrito » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:23 pm

I am definitely looking for an apartment to share, barring an offer for on-campus housing. I will be able to move in on Aug 1. If anyone needs someone to share an apartment with, please let me know. Everyone here's not looking to share a room, correct?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

americangirlinparis

New

Post by americangirlinparis » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:03 pm

I'm waiting to hear about on-campus housing but should I not get a place there I'll definitely be looking to find a roommate. I haven't really had the time to look for anything yet though and it'll be the end of June before I'm able to devote any real energy to finding something...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:05 am

Finding affordable housing in Sacramento is relatively easy as compared to other major cities in CA - Craigslist is likely your best bet, but if you have a couple weeks to drive around looking for a place there are a lot of neighborhoods which offer plenty of cheap apartments and are only at best a 15 minute commute from the McG campus. I'd recommend looking out in the Arden area or in Midtown if you want something a little closer (and cooler).

McGeorge2011

New

Post by McGeorge2011 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:41 am

travvo wrote:OH MY GOD! 2 FACEBOOK GROUPS!!!! HOLY SHIT! WOW I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU CREATED ANOTHER ONE SKYLAR HOW DID YOU MISS IT!!! (loving the facebook popularity turf call out) What is this, the week before prom at Beverly Hills High School? I think someone needs a drink (or two)! :shock:

On a more serious and relevant note has anyone heard back re: on-campus housing?

On an even more important and more pressingly relevant note, its saturday and its past 5, I NEED A BEER. Anybody wanna fly out to NYC for happy hour? I got first round.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!! :wink:

Actually when I saw the other facebook group, I was shocked. Oh noooo! Another Facebook group was going to destroy my plans for world domination! Bummer. lol Fortunately for me, my two best friends, Jack and Daniel were there to help me recover. Alcohol is so effective that I am going to approach the dean to allow law school students to have a sip or two while writing their law school finals. ha ha ha :D

There is no fight / rivalry / jousting / drama / or otherwise high school bickering. I approached this topic because I thought that one unified facebook group for the McGeorge 2011 class would be ideal just as the McGeorge 2010 class has only one facebook group and I was hoping for some way to combine the two groups. If some people prefer two groups then that's fine too. Live and let live. We all have more important things on our minds now so let's have peace and harmony and all that sunshiny stuff.

However, despite my attempts to reach out, there will always be someone out there to twist my words or fan the flames of an argument for their own entertainment. I cannot change that but there was never any argument, quarrel, debate or disagreement in the first place.

Incidentally, if you believe that the person typing this message is the current admin of the group, you are once again mistaken. Due to the large amount of things I need to do, I am going to be extremely busy for the next three weeks so I can't promise you a reply within that time frame.

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:30 am

We're just playing around. It’s all in jest.:twisted:
It is good you noted the 2 groups because I was unaware of the other. I think the more important thing is for people to start getting to know one another and to open up some dialogue. It's tough now because everyone has a lot going on, but being familiar with some classmates is better than knowing none of them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OregonGirl07

New

Post by OregonGirl07 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:51 am

After living in Sac for almost a year now, I would recommend the Arden area, as well. It's got great access to everything -and is about 10-15 minutes from school.

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:03 am

Hahaha, loving it... no hard feelings. Just twisting your arm. :twisted:

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:58 am

Has anyone received any material from the school besides the magazine and rafting stuff?

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:29 pm

Ants, Havent gotten anything in the mail... The magazine was reassuring though... plenty of alumns doing great things..

It can be disheartening sometimes reading forum posts by people on here about any school out of the T-14. My guess is that many of these people are uncharismatic nerds who have no other avenue than the rank of their school to carry them through.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:06 pm

travvo wrote:Ants, Havent gotten anything in the mail... The magazine was reassuring though... plenty of alumns doing great things..

It can be disheartening sometimes reading forum posts by people on here about any school out of the T-14. My guess is that many of these people are uncharismatic nerds who have no other avenue than the rank of their school to carry them through.
Did you see the poop kevsocko flung at me regarding this topic a few days ago on the CA Acceptances, Denials, Waitlists thread? It was great... everyone tore him a new one! :lol:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 29#p713429

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:20 pm

travvo wrote:Ants, Havent gotten anything in the mail... The magazine was reassuring though... plenty of alumns doing great things..

McG may hot by Yale, but having grown up in Sac I can tell you that it places VERY well around town, and Sac, despite being only the 35th or so largest city in the country, has a very large legal market due to being the state capital. Many of my friends' parents, etc. were McG grads who were doing VERY well for themselves financially. Obviously the T14 are great law schools, but anyone who says there aren't plenty of jobs out there for people who went elsewhere are full of crap.

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:51 pm

Ants you P'wnd that chump. Good Fooooooorm boyyyy. Thanks for the info SoftBoiled, its definitely reassuring.

I am currently working at a BigLaw firm in NYC and I can honestly say that there are tons of partners (making insane loot) that are t2 and t3 alumns (Pace, Brooklyn, NY Law, St John's Etc), that are placed not only in NYC but throughout the country and abroad as well. Just like everything in life, i think it all boils down to what you make of it. Sure saying you went to McGeorge might not have the same impact that saying you went to Yale, but you can make up for it with a solid and dependable work ethic, charisma, and sleeping your way to the top.

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:03 pm

don't hate me cuz i'm right.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”