University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tequilasunriseplz

New

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Post by tequilasunriseplz » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:36 pm

sands24 wrote:Hey all, question for anyone that is going on the rafting trip -- Will they have us back in time for Registration, if we're on the 12th? I forgot :P
Good question sands. I'm almost 100% sure that the rafting trip departs on the 11th and returns on the 12th. So...
ants wrote: We will get everything we need to know during registration and orientation. http://mcgeorge.edu/x2128.xml
This site shows that last names A-N are supposed to arrive btwn 8:30 & 3:30 for registration on the 12th. I'm pretty sure they can get us back by 2:00 (we'll just all look tired & as though we've just been camping in our pictures).

Hmm...maybe I'll call the school. It would be weird if we missed it and they told all the rafting people to just show up on the 13th. Did anyone go rafting last year and remember when they returned to campus?

skylar

New

Post by skylar » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:53 pm

Re: rafting trip:

If I remember right, we arrive back on campus around 10am on the 12th. It's after the registration opens at 8:30am, but you can definitely still register that day if you're A-N. And even if we arrive later, there's still the 3:30-6:30 and the "open" hours on the 13th. No gunners on this trip will be able to line up at 8:15am :)

Freepress

New

Post by Freepress » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:57 pm

Make sure to check their employment stats. With this legal market jobs are harder to come by

tequilasunriseplz

New

Post by tequilasunriseplz » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:22 pm

thanks Skylar.

As to gunners, it is pretty common knowledge that gunners are considered annoying and are truly disliked by all. Considering this, HOW could anyone still be one?! I'm really hoping somehow our class will be lucky enough to be gunner-free.

free press-- that's depressing. Are you finding it hard to get a job?
Last edited by tequilasunriseplz on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:17 pm

I had to look up "gunner" in the urban dictionary. I haven't been out of school that long... how come I've never heard this term? Anyway, I fully expect there to be several "gunner" types in our class. You know there will be that one person that makes your teeth cringe every time he opens his mouth and it will take all the will power you can muster up not to reach over the table and smack him upside the head. :x

On a more positive note, USNWR says that 94.4% of the 2006 McGeorge graduates were employed nine months after graduation. ABA data on the LSAC site states that 92.1% of McGeorge grads were employed nine months after graduation. Any way you cut it, the numbers are strong. Not to worry, classmates! 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

skylar

New

Post by skylar » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:04 pm

Haha, just gotta hope it's a job you WANT!

I'm pretty sure gunner is a law-school-specific term. I've only heard it from law students.

momo

New

Post by momo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:21 am

Is anyone buying a new laptop before school starts? My current one is on its last legs and won't be good for another 3 years so I was wondering if anyone had anything they could recommend? Any really great student deals out there? I know McG recommends Dells but I have yet to have a positive experience with them...

sciencebeagle

New

Post by sciencebeagle » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:01 am

Momo,

I would recommend a Dell Latitude D630 or D830. I work in IT right now, and our organization uses Dell's. I know Dell can get a bad rap somtimes, but overall I feel they are a quality product. You can really customize the features you want to get the best price, as well as get accidental damage coverage that will protect it from any physical damage it sustains. I work on and service almost every major brand of computer (including Apple) and can say that the best bang for your buck is a Dell. Going with a latitude will also save you from the sub par consumer costumer service, as the notebook is considered "for business" and has much better costumer service.

If anyone has any computer questions please feel free to PM me, I've worked in that field for over 5 years. I have A LOT of experience particularly with laptops of all brands and makes.

I am not trying to toot my own horn or anything, just being helpful. I'm just a computer nerd haha!

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:05 am

Momo,

1. This won't help with the actual purchase, but you can get an increase in your student loans if you petition for a one-time laptop loan after school starts. Talk to Joe Pinkas about it.

2. I have a Lenovo T60. I actually really like the computer, although recently my AC adapter broke and I needed to get another one (3 year warranty made it free, though). My one huge beef with Lenovo is their CRAP customer service. I told them what the problem was and instead of directing me where to call to order a new part (it was fairly obvious it was the adapter since it wouldn't charge properly) they asked me to send it to TN for them to check it out. Fine, I guess, but it took me a good while even to find a good number to call (and their 24 hour customer service line? Yeah, they're available from 8-8 EST. . .wth?). I sent it to them since I had another minor flickering screen problem. I got it back a week later with a note telling me my AC adapter was broken and to go call parts to have them send it to me. *headdesk* And the flickering screen wasn't fixed.

So. . .I love the product but hate the service, I guess? :P

My computer before was a huge, clunky Toshiba laptop and aside from a harddrive crash 7 years into owning it, I've never had a problem with it. I don't know if that's a good recommendation on my part or not, though. Just dispersing info to you, I suppose.

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

momo

New

Post by momo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:43 pm

Haha, my last one was a Dell Latitude. Although dells do offer good customer service, my terrible experience with it has made me never want to tinker with Dells again. What do you guys think of Sony Vaio's? I hear they are fantastic in terms of quality, service is ok... but you pay a premium?

allycat

New

Post by allycat » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:08 pm

momo wrote:Haha, my last one was a Dell Latitude. Although dells do offer good customer service, my terrible experience with it has made me never want to tinker with Dells again. What do you guys think of Sony Vaio's? I hear they are fantastic in terms of quality, service is ok... but you pay a premium?
I actually have a Sony Vaio SZ. Its a couple years old now, but its fantastic for me. I haven't had any problems so far that I wasn't able to troubleshoot on my own, so I don't know how their service center is. I love that its very lightweight but still durable and I have the larger battery and it can last up t 7 hours without a charge. They are a little pricier though, but in my opinion its been worth it so far.

sciencebeagle

New

Post by sciencebeagle » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:27 pm

One thing to be wary of with Vaio's is they have a lot of proprietary driver's with their hardware, so if you need to reload anything that can be a bit of a hassle. Quality wise they are very good and come in some great compact sizes that would be good for carrying around. You always pay a little bit of a premium for sony products but I think it's worth it.

Chibi

New

Post by Chibi » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:58 pm

I'm getting a new laptop too, here is what i think:

1. Thinking of getting a Toshiba, it's relatively cheaper compared to other similar brands with same hardware/function.

2. I had a Dell for undergrad, it's loud and heats up sooo quickly that it turned off itself during lecture a few times.

3. Sony looks nice, but it's kinda expensive.

4. I heard lenovo is pretty good, except for it ships from china so it'll take about a month to ship it out and it's overly priced, considering it's ram and hd size.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sciencebeagle

New

Post by sciencebeagle » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:01 pm

Chibi,

I would STRONGLY recommend against getting a Toshiba. I have had nothing but problems with the ones I have worked with in the field. Overheating, battery issues and the whole gamut. Just my two cents..

Chibi

New

Post by Chibi » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:07 pm

Sciencebeagle,

Thank you for your suggestion. I've heard good and bad things about almost every laptop. Do you mind telling me your model number? I think it does make a difference.

sciencebeagle

New

Post by sciencebeagle » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:09 pm

Most of the models I had bad experiences with were in the Satellite line. They tent to overheat, and their graphics cards don't ventilate well, so you get "Blue Screen of Death" frequently from hardware failure.

sciencebeagle

New

Post by sciencebeagle » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:29 pm

Hey does anyone wanna get a poker game goen at school? My friend left me with a table while he is in Chile for a year, so it might be fun to put it to use. Might be a fun way to get to know our new classmates.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:38 am

sciencebeagle wrote:Hey does anyone wanna get a poker game goen at school? My friend left me with a table while he is in Chile for a year, so it might be fun to put it to use. Might be a fun way to get to know our new classmates.
I'm terrible at poker but you can count me in! Do you live on campus?

tequilasunriseplz

New

Post by tequilasunriseplz » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:22 am

Great idea sciencebeagle. I'm addicted to hold'em. Just tell me when and where!

sciencebeagle

New

Post by sciencebeagle » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:45 am

Yeah I got a place in Blackacre. I move in on the 9th.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:47 am

Wow, the circle of life continues! Last term, a bunch of us had board game parties on the weekends and when we got bored of that we would play poker. I was horrid at it. :mrgreen: It's a lot of fun, though!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

skylar

New

Post by skylar » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:46 pm

Well, I've got the board games. In fact, in my stepmom's attic this summer, I found an unopened copy of "No Respect," which is apparently Rodney Dangerfield's board game from the 80s. I can't wait to try it and see what the hell a board game about Rodney Dangerfield is about!

kimbowmanjr

New

Post by kimbowmanjr » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:31 pm

Here's an article I found in the Sac Bee about our Dean:

--LinkRemoved--

Katdaddy

New

Post by Katdaddy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:10 pm

kimbowmanjr wrote:Here's an article I found in the Sac Bee about our Dean:

--LinkRemoved--
Cool article. Makes we want to live on campus too.

allycat

New

Post by allycat » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:34 pm

Katdaddy wrote:
kimbowmanjr wrote:Here's an article I found in the Sac Bee about our Dean:

--LinkRemoved--
Cool article. Makes we want to live on campus too.
They held a get-together in her backyard this summer for people who were accepted as Legal Scholars. It really is amazing that she lives on campus, right next to some of the student housing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”