University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chola

New

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Post by chola » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:34 pm

For those from the Sacramento area, would living in Elk Grove and commuting to McGeorge be too hard?

catalogguy

New

Post by catalogguy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:43 pm

I am not from the area, just so you know, but my dad has been in Sac for eons and helped me narrow down my choices. We looked at Elk Grove and in fact IO have a good friend who lives there. There are some decent areas and some creepy areas (like all of Sac it seems). The turnoff for me was the traffic on 99. Heading south at 3PM it was pretty bad, although northbound was better. I hear from my dad that by end of day northbound can get pretty tight, too. I am not sure if this is a showstopper for you, but it is something to be aware of.

Dman

Bronze

Post by Dman » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:51 pm

I live pretty much near old Elk grove (East of 99) and I drive daily to the area McGeorge is located. The 9 mile commute during "rush hour" traffic takes 20-25 minutes on local roads. As I moved up from LA I see this as a very acceptable commute but I am sure there are differing opinions on what is acceptable. Also, I would not plan on using the 99 for commuting as it is often accident ridden and quite slow.

I have only been in Sac for lil over a month but I have noticed there is quite a bit of difference in the local regions and a 20 min commute give you a very large option for living. I chose Elk grove for house size verse cost along with low crime statistics. Also, if you have any safety concerns you might want to check out the crime mapper: http://crimemap.scoopytube.com/crimemap/map.html

If any one has questions feel free to PM me. I am in a lull till classes start, so any distraction to my "gunnerish" 0L reading is welcome :D

Dman

Bronze

Post by Dman » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:58 pm

catalogguy wrote: There are some decent areas and some creepy areas (like all of Sac it seems).
This is something I find very interesting about Sac. In Los Angeles everything was pretty well segregated but here it the "nice" areas seem to blend with the "not so nice" areas. Also, be wary of the fancy new constructs, they appear nice but have had lots of burglaries and have been the receipt of crime seep from south Sac. That being said, there are definitely nice pockets in every Area. I suggest playing with the crime mapper tool. It gives you a feel for what streets to avoid and what neighborhoods are relatively quiet.

chola

New

Post by chola » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:06 pm

Thanks! I'm also (maybe) moving from LA. I just got in a couple weeks ago and I have a brother in Elk Grove so I would be staying with him for now.

I'm scared of moving up there and leaving everything I have here in LA. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tehpokerstar

New

Post by Tehpokerstar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:02 pm

You're passing on Southwestern?

sirmick

New

Post by sirmick » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:52 pm

chola wrote:Thanks! I'm also (maybe) moving from LA. I just got in a couple weeks ago and I have a brother in Elk Grove so I would be staying with him for now.

I'm scared of moving up there and leaving everything I have here in LA. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Hey Chola,

Congrats on getting in! I'm not sure what you mean by "leaving everything"...but you'll have a brand new challenge in a cool new place!

I'm moving up from Orange County (Irvine) to be exact. But I'm initially from the bay area. So I moved from the Bay to Irvine and now I'm moving up to Sacramento. It might be a nice change of scenery for you. I'm not from Sacramento, but McGeorge seems to be a really nice campus and the surrounding areas have its pros and cons. As for me, initially moving from northern california down to so-cal was kinda cool - it was a little different-but you cope, and you learn to grow by being away from everything.

I'm not professing to be this wise old sage who knows the wonders of the world, but I think I might have a little bit of an idea of what you're going through - in terms of moving and leaving "everything" (I assume you mean, friends, family, community, etc.). You gain new friends, meet new people, and become familiar with a new place..! Who knows, you might really love it!

Hope I helped a little.. :)

Good luck and maybe I'll see ya in class!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:49 am

chola wrote:Thanks! I'm also (maybe) moving from LA. I just got in a couple weeks ago and I have a brother in Elk Grove so I would be staying with him for now.

Make up your mind already.. LA or Sac? sounds like are very young and don't know what you want. maybe you'd benefit from getting some real world experience before law school.

Tehpokerstar

New

Post by Tehpokerstar » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:26 pm

Dante to the rescue!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chola

New

Post by chola » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:51 pm

Danteshek wrote:

Make up your mind already.. LA or Sac? sounds like are very young and don't know what you want. maybe you'd benefit from getting some real world experience before law school.
You're funny. And you're on every thread too. I've had enough experience and I'm not very young, just indecisive.

nickc8

Bronze

Post by nickc8 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:59 pm

I want to jump in and ask what made you all decide on McGeorge? It may be one of the schools I apply to this October...I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:40 pm

Guess what? If you go to McGeorge you won't have to suffer through knowing me in real life

Tehpokerstar

New

Post by Tehpokerstar » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:00 pm

Danteshek wrote:Guess what? If you go to McGeorge you won't have to suffer through knowing me in real life
Dante, I feel bad for your future wife. :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:37 pm

Tehpokerstar wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Guess what? If you go to McGeorge you won't have to suffer through knowing me in real life
Which one? Seriously though I don't understand people who leave everything behind (family, friends, professional contacts etc) to attend random low ranked schools in other parts of the country

ToadGoDead

Bronze

Post by ToadGoDead » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:27 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Tehpokerstar wrote:
Which one? Seriously though I don't understand people who leave everything behind (family, friends, professional contacts etc) to attend random low ranked schools in other parts of the country
it is called being adventurous...moving around, seing different places, gaining new perspectives...

Dman

Bronze

Post by Dman » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Tehpokerstar wrote:
Leave the rank whoring out of this thread please. There are plenty of other places on the TLS forums to get your digs in. Thanks!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:55 am

Ranking whoring? Dude I'm going to Southwestern. I can't afford to be a rankings whore. I was only making a point about how it usually does not make sense to go to a lower ranked school away from your home turf.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beckamarie88

New

Post by beckamarie88 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:35 am

nickc8 wrote:I want to jump in and ask what made you all decide on McGeorge? It may be one of the schools I apply to this October...I'd like to hear your thoughts.
There were quite a number of reasons I chose McGeorge. The biggest is that I am originally from the area and wish to remain here after law school. McGeorge has an excellent reputation in Sacramento and the surrounding areas. I was really attracted to the school after visiting the campus. I like how it is solely a law school. The size is another plus for me (my undergrad was roughly the same size). This may sound crazy, but the decision just clicked. I knew this was the place for me. I didn't even apply to any other schools.

chola

New

Post by chola » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:46 am

Tehpokerstar wrote:
Dante is like little boys who are mean to girls because they like them. Maybe he needs to grow up ;)

Tehpokerstar

New

Post by Tehpokerstar » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:15 pm

beckamarie88 wrote:I knew this was the place for me. I didn't even apply to any other schools.
Self-fulfilling prophecy?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:20 pm

chola wrote:
Tehpokerstar wrote:
Dante is like little boys who are mean to girls because they like them. Maybe he needs to grow up ;)
You're probably right! 28 is the new 18.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:21 pm

Booklist for 2009:

--LinkRemoved--

Buying from somewhere other than the bookstore could save you some $$$

Dman

Bronze

Post by Dman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:06 am

Ipsa Dixit wrote:Booklist for 2009:

--LinkRemoved--

Buying from somewhere other than the bookstore could save you some $$$
Wow, I never really looked into how much books would cost, to say the least, it's a lot more than I had guessed.

The book scholly is really looking sweet right now!

izzytovar

New

Post by izzytovar » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:21 am

Getting ready to submit my app. Hoping to return to Sacramento after 20 years in order to attend and be in my hometown.

catalogguy

New

Post by catalogguy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”