University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
aldicarb

New

Post by aldicarb » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:02 pm

I believe you said you have a cable modem? Either way if it is DSL or cable doesn't matter. what's the problem with setting it up exactly? I might be able to help if I know the issue.

I'd be down on going out with you youngins ;D. Don't worry about putting much effort into the orientation stuff. It will all come together soon

aldicarb

New

Post by aldicarb » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:04 pm

Oh and you have to make sure you set up the wireless broadcast on your modem. So connect with a wire and go into your control panel for the modem and make sure thats on.

You all have a bunch of orientation stuff to do tomorrow again? Gah I recall hating most of it, lol. I'll be on campus in the morning to look for more books and deal with the CDO.

what work ya working on? Next week stuff? Half of the 2nd year books are apparently not in, so all my profs can take a hike next week lol

JarrettN

New

Post by JarrettN » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:45 am

Matokah and Artful,

Make sure that you have installed the driver to run the wireless router on one of your comps. Also make sure you have downloaded the latest patches for said driver.

One of your computers will have to be a gateway for the hub. Also go into networks settings and look at your ip address make sure it begins with either 10.10.series of numbers or 192.168.1.100 the last three will vary if it begins with 169 than your router is self assigning ip addresss which is a total pain in the ass.

I believe you said you have a linksys wireless router they can be a hassle try their website if you don't have the disk.

Artful_Dodger

New

Post by Artful_Dodger » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:53 am

Ipsa_dixit, Oregon_Girl, and gypsy... great! Now I have people to talk to in class. Anyway, I'm missing 2 books now, I bought one used... I'm hoping the other two come in tomorrow. I'd like to get on this reading.

anyway, again my AIM screen name is JenloveLee and my name is Jen... I know it's hard to guess right? Sorry for the late responses, our internet is not functioning at full capacity. We've tried, but to no avail. It's disgusting I know... How will I live without my IMs and Forums and email? haha ok well hope to see you all in class...

P.S. Oregon Girl, I think we may have been in the same Tunkl section with Thompson as the speaker? Ok enough of me spilling out personal info for all the lurkers out there.

aldicarb

New

Post by aldicarb » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:38 am

Artful, which books areyou missing? You can have my torts book since I believe you said you are in sec A and that is being taught by my old prof/current boss. ;]

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:50 am

aldicarb, do you have any supplements that you would recommend for any of the Sec. A profs?

aldicarb

New

Post by aldicarb » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:49 pm

Ipsa -

For Contracts, definitely get "Contracts - Examples & Explanations"

For Torts, also a must buy is "Understanding Torts" [this one is really good and is by Prof. Levine of McGeorge

Property - Understanding Property

Civ Pro - Examples and Explanations

Crim law you won't need till next semester.

OregonGirl07

New

Post by OregonGirl07 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:29 pm

Jen, that was me in there. LOL.

How are you doing on the paper for Telfeyan? I feel a little hopeless just because I'm pretty sure that no matter what I write, it's going to be wrong. LOL.

theargentine

New

First Day

Post by theargentine » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:36 pm

Good luck tomorrow everybody! I've studied everything thrice and somehow I'm still worried... I hope its just first day jitters...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Artful_Dodger

New

Post by Artful_Dodger » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:21 pm

Hey Oregon_Girl... I think I'm doing ok. haha well if I didn't do it right it's too late now since we just turned them in. At any rate... blah I'm starting on Galves's stuff right now. Ok well I guess I'll see you in class tomorrow.

zhughes315

New

Post by zhughes315 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:55 pm

Hey, I hear Pacific has a fine International Law program, anyone got any input for me??

Magda

New

Looking for flatmates

Post by Magda » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:19 am

Hey there.
My name is Maggie and I am a Polish law graduate coming over to Sacramento in Jan. to do my LL.M. at McGeorge. Therefore am looking for flatmates. Let me inform you that I am a cool sexy brunette:)and I am sure I m a perfect candidate for a flatmate.
Let me know if any of you is interested.

Peace:)
Maggie

chalyse

New

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Post by chalyse » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:36 pm

bumping this thread back up for the new year of admits :D

would love to hear from students who went off to mcgeorge ... did it work well for you? what were you most surprised by? what is your perspective on the school now that you have a semester behind you?

im seriously considering mcgeorge, and very happily. but would love more anectdotes and 1st person perspectives!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:56 pm

chalyse wrote:bumping this thread back up for the new year of admits :D

would love to hear from students who went off to mcgeorge ... did it work well for you? what were you most surprised by? what is your perspective on the school now that you have a semester behind you?

im seriously considering mcgeorge, and very happily. but would love more anectdotes and 1st person perspectives!
I to have been accepted and am curious to hear feedback from current or past students, I am also curious to see how mcgeorge national ranking changes in the new usn reports in march, anyone guess or have some insight? I am considering the school but am just not sure about Sacramento and ive heard its difficult to get out of Ca and even Sac after graduating... :?:

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:31 pm

I love McGeorge, but as to the "law school experience", I would say love/hate. I am not sure if that makes sense, but I will try to clarify.

As to Pacific itself, most of the faculty, staff, and students that I have come into contact with have been great. I enjoy the campus atmosphere. It's competitive, but not cut-throat. People are friendly and the school provides good resources to students.

As to legal education in general (this is the love/hate), it is intellectually stimulating, but it is also grueling. The workload is no joke, especially this semester since they have added another class. In any one week, I go through a lot of emotions. The pace is relentless and it can get to you if you don't have an outlet or make time for yourself. I have definitely felt overwhelmed at times. But I love the law and I love learning about it.

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:38 pm

hmmm... I have heard this about mcgeorge(the difficulty/misery of the first year program), ive heard its actually more difficult that higher ranked schools, such as davis, its too bad this aspect of the schools academic rigor isnt well reflected in its ranking, perhaps a good sign for the future? I am torn because if I attend and decide to transfer due to the region or city I would hate to have to work harder to place in the top percentages of the class than a similarly ranked school elsewhere...

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:50 pm

It is difficult, but I would not say that I am miserable. There are times when I am, but this is not some kind of constant. There are plenty of times when I am content, happy, or excited about where I am. I feel pretty lucky to have the chance to go to law school and feel like I am in the right place. You take a little bad with the good with anything.

I love Sacramento and this is where I want to live. If you are looking at regional schools, I would focus on local reputation and being somewhere you actually want to be.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chalyse

New

Post by chalyse » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:09 am

thanks so much for your candid input, ipsa ... i too am accepted for fall (night school) and will be very seriously considering mcgeorge. i like that fall is only three nights a week - a chance, at least, to get some footing before its four nights on top of work.

are you doing night school? and, are you focused yet on an interest once the core clases are done?

i find i am not worried about whether mcgeorge moves a bit in the new usnews rankings ... its 'just right' for me and having worked in top-30's most of my life, i've no desire to experience it in law school.

and ... i was able to visit super-briefly over winter holidays (late december, 2007) ... i love the campus setting itself. is there one main lecture hall (across from the entryway?) or many classrooms around the 'courtyard' area?

mundane questions, i know ... perhaps that is telling of my real interest ... i am already starting to try and envision being there.

james4zero8

New

Post by james4zero8 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:34 am

I too was recently accepted to the evening division at McGeorge. Being from the bay area, I am seriously contemplating attending McGeorge. I too, like the idea of having only 3 classes in the first semester, it gives you time to get your foot wet, so to speak. I know a couple of people who went to McGeorge. One went when McGeorge when it was a 3rd or 4th tier school. He told me that he is happy with his education and the professors were very helpful. However, law school is what you make out of it. If you study and not slack off, you should be fine. He also told me that the people that McGeorge flunk out were the ones that didn't do anything. The Slackers. Although, in recent years, McGeorge has done a much better job in retaining their 1L students.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:16 pm

chalyse wrote:are you doing night school? and, are you focused yet on an interest once the core clases are done?
I am in the day division so cannot speak from personal experience about the evening program. I believe evening students take 2 less classes than day division (I think evening does not take Civ Pro or Property until second year).

Anecdotally, I hear it is very difficult to work full time and do the evening program, but people do make it work. Just be aware that this is going to be really intense if you work full time. I know an evening student, and she said this semester, a number of her classmates quit their jobs. She is working 30 hours, but is able to get some of her studying done at work when things are quiet/slow there. I know some people in the evening division do not work at all. The upside of working is that you will be able to reduce your debt by relying less on loans to get you through school.

I haven’t thought too much about next year in terms of electives, but I am interested in government affairs so will probably take electives in that program. There are still many required courses after the first year.
and ... i was able to visit super-briefly over winter holidays (late december, 2007) ... i love the campus setting itself. is there one main lecture hall (across from the entryway?) or many classrooms around the 'courtyard' area?
I don’t think the lecture hall is used for classes, but more for on campus events. There are classrooms around the courtyard and near the lecture hall. I think there are some classrooms in the library as well and maybe in the clinical building... not totally sure about those though.

If you can swing it, you might try visiting campus while class is in session. See if you can arrange to sit in on a class. See also if the school might be able to put you in contact with evening division students to get their take on things.
in recent years, McGeorge has done a much better job in retaining their 1L students.
The school used to have a bad rep for flunking out a large portion of the 1st year class, but I don't think that rep exists now. The school does a lot to help students succeed. Last I heard, involuntary attrition was around 5%. During first semester, the school offers an optional skills hour, which I recommend, that goes over how to study and prepare for exams. The school also does two practice exams under timed conditions using ExamSoft or bluebooks (depends on if you are typing or handwriting).

If you do poorly first semester, instead of taking criminal law, you will be able to take a class to help you improve your skills so you can improve on final exams so as not to fail out.

You can also go to your professors to review your performance on an exam or practice exam and they will help you understand what you are doing wrong and what you are doing right.
law school is what you make out of it.
True about a great many things in life :)

chalyse

New

Post by chalyse » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:29 am

congrats, james! :D maybe time will find us wandering the same campus as ipsa this fall! it sure sounds like a great experience; cant thank you enough ipsa for your considered thoughts.

you are right about the courses we dont have to take until our second year. and, i did 3-4 nights a week of night school in 2006 while working full time (paralegal/certificate - i know - no comparison, but at least i got a taste of what it takes to go from work to school to bed for a year straight. am i right in assuming there is no summer session? it would be a bonus to be unable to try to maintain that kind of schedule for month after month without end...

and, you've helped met think more about the work situation - i do need to work, but perhaps with sudent health and hospitalization insurance i could afford to look for 3/4 time work (no bene's), and i think that would help immensely.

i hadn't known about the former attrition rates, but the public data does now show it is very low (glad they got that ironed out) - the support structures you described, ipsa, are very, very encouraging. i plan to take advantage of whatever i can to help me succeed, and all of those things sound very geared toward success. a very encouraging array of programs and faculty/staff access.

i'm working on getting out to the bay area by end of march, and then i'm hoping the staff will be patient with how much i want to see and explore :D a general tour, sitting in on classes (perhaps even a night school class so i can meet those students as you suggested) even a public-allowed event if there is one. i plan on spending time hanging out and just 'being' on campus so that its familiar and second-nature by august. and, its just such a gorgeous environment that i cant imagine a better place to hang out over the summer. i know its part of a larger urban setting, and has its own quirks and challenges - but i think i would be glad to be educated in a school that is in the 'real world' too.

for a government-minded student, ipsa, you certainly have a knack for anticipating and outlining the most needful things - i bet you will be a terrific addition to the california legal-legislative community! thanks again, both of you, for sharing those insightful and informative thoughts!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OregonGirl07

New

Post by OregonGirl07 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:35 pm

I'm also a Day Division 1L at McGeorge.

I really like the school and I am very happy with my choice. It is true that you go through multiple emotions every week, but that is par for the course for law school in general.

The bar passage rates were very high for this last year and the school has a very good reputation in the state. Also, I've been told that you can work for a few years in the state and then find a job at other firms and your degree becomes very transferrable. Plus, they have a pretty strong alumi network.

I really like the students that I have classes with and all the 1L's try to get together to really deal with things as a class. I really like my professors and while it is competitive, I don't think it's over the top.

I hope that helps.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:57 pm

am i right in assuming there is no summer session? it would be a bonus to be unable to try to maintain that kind of schedule for month after month without end...
There are summer session courses if you want to take them (including summer sessions abroad in England, Austria, or China). I'm not planning on taking a summer session course, but a lot of people do the program in Austria because the class is taught by Justice Kennedy.
and, you've helped met think more about the work situation - i do need to work, but perhaps with sudent health and hospitalization insurance i could afford to look for 3/4 time work (no bene's), and i think that would help immensely.
At a recent financial aid meeting, they said that they are going to start mandating health insurance if you don't have it already. I think the insurance through the school costs something like $1200/yr. They do not have a dental plan right now though some students at that meeting voiced a desire for it. Hopefully the administration will look into that.

If you have medical costs that your insurance does not cover, you can get a loan increase to cover it (I know this because I just found out I need about $900 of dental work done and dropped by the financial aid office to find out what I can do!)
i'm working on getting out to the bay area by end of march
Have you found a place in Sac?

americangirlinparis

New

Greetings!

Post by americangirlinparis » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:04 pm

I recently came across this message board and thought it was about time I signed up and posted. I'm accepted for the Day Division next year and about 95% sure that I'll be joining you all in Sacramento come next August. [the other five percent being my mother's persistent hopes I'll go to the university of oregon and stay close to her] :)
Just a quick, and seemingly popular, question for any current students - what are your thoughts on on-campus vs off-campus housing? I'm at the top of the list if I want to live on-campus (apparently), but I hear the neighborhood isn't the greatest. Unfortunately my current location (France) prohibits me from coming out there to search for housing myself until mid-summer, but I have family in the area who are willing to put in some legwork for me, provided I give them some hints on neighborhoods and the like. Any recommendations?
For all of the current 1Ls who were so actively posting on here last year, how has your first year been going? Living up to your expectations?

Thanks!

saleen

New

Post by saleen » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:30 pm

Hello Newcomers!

I am a current 1st year evening student at McG. I think your belief that only having 3 classes during the first semester will be a nice transition is a bit off, last semester was the hardest I have ever studied in my entire life. Of course, this semester with one more class and 1 day less a week to study it is even more out of control and I'm going to have to work even harder for these finals.

I work 40 hours a week, most evening students probably work 30hrs or less and some not at all so for them maybe life is a little easier. The required level of commitment is quite exacerbating. I basically go to class 6:15 -9:30 m-th. This leaves a little time for studying after class but most of my studying occurs between the hours of 10am and 4pm at the library on Saturdays and Sundays. It is guaranteed your life will absolutely suck the weeks you have an Legal Process paper due or dare make an attempt to do the Mock Trial competition.

After saying this, I certainly think I have made a good decision and can say I certainly enjoy law school. The material can be dry, but I always find the discussions interesting and really enjoy my professors (even the ones who many not enjoy me so much haha). Sometimes you just have to buckle down and get through the week I guess but once you're done it is a good feeling.

As for living, if you plan on having a social life I definitely suggest midtown. Anywhere between H and T and 12th to 28th or so really will put you in a spot where you can walk a lot of places and still get to school with a quick drive on surface streets. If you're planning on never leaving the library and don't plan on having a car then on campus is the spot for you. The surrounding area is definitely not so nice but campus is beautiful and there is plenty of security. I have not once heard a complaint from any of my friends who live on campus. Sometimes I am jealous that they can just roll out of bed and be straight to the study plan.

Sorry if I sounded a bit negative at the start there, definitely have a LP paper due on monday and did mock trial last week so I have had back to back crazy weeks. I would say that the thing I have enjoyed most about McG so far is my classmates. We all hang out together and everyone gets along. That was one thing I was worried about coming into law school, especially the evening program, but everyone is awesome and it seems that even when I'm not doing school stuff I still always end up hanging out with people from school even though I am from Sacramento and have seriously neglected many a friendship..... I am pissed that I just used a word rooted in negligence GAH.

Anyways, good luck and if you have any questions feel free to PM/Email me with any other questions. I don't come back to the boards very often.... I should be doing Crim briefs right now actually.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”