University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Katdaddy

New

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Post by Katdaddy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:56 am

tequilasunriseplz wrote:I have a really silly question b/c I should know by now, but is McGeorge a tier 2 school?

I only ask because this U.S. News and World Report site shows it as a tier 1 school:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... rch/page+4
It's a T2 (all schools ranked 50 or 51-100 by USNWR).

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:01 pm

Soon to enter the t-50 when the brain trust (i.e. class of '11) leaves its mark.

tequilasunriseplz

New

Post by tequilasunriseplz » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:00 pm

Thanks Kat. That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. I was really surprised to learn that not too long ago McG was a tier 4 school. I guess it has really shot up in the rankings so hopefully, trav, it will continue to do so even more. Not that rank is everything, but it helps later I suppose.

Is anyone looking for scholarships for law school or can anyone suggest any good websites to look for some?

skylar

New

Post by skylar » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:17 pm

As for the scholarships, try Fastweb.com.

As for the rankings, I read somewhere that McGeorge was on some law school admissions guru lady's Top 10 Sleeper Schools. It's also tied for #1 in the west for international law with Stanford. Not shabby, particularly because the subject area rankings are voted by the actual schools with those programs. Not this terribly arbitrary big ranking. A peer ranking means a lot more to me, personally.

So yeah, McGeorge is pretty awesome. And will be in that Tier 1 soon enough.

allycat

New

Post by allycat » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:48 pm

Is anyone else trying to get housing on campus? I haven't heard anything about it yet, but I asked for a 1-bedroom and I'm not sure how many of them there are. Hopefully there's more TLS people that are going to be living on-campus too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:57 pm

I talked to the housing lady today. She said she would get back to me by the end of June. She couldn't give me an answer as to whether or not she thought i would get a spot. Its all up in the air i guess.

PatentX

New

Post by PatentX » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:05 pm

If anyone can't get a spot on campus I have a 2 bedroom 2 bath in Arden
:D

I am also willing to spout off on my experience as a recent grad if you have specific questions

allycat

New

Post by allycat » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:35 pm

Hopefully you get a spot. I'd like them to tell me sooner rather than later, but I guess I'll just have to twiddle my thumbs and wait.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:18 pm

To the guy saying he wanted to have a BBQ/kegger in a local park: McClatchy Park, which is right by McG is not the sort of place you can put out a keg of beer and not have the drifters descend like flies. Other Sacramento parks are also not terribly keg-friendly, unless you like haggling with the SPD. I suggest going with bottled beers or a private residence.

(Don't mean to be a wet blanket - just sayin')

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tequilasunriseplz

New

Post by tequilasunriseplz » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:17 am

Actually, Anna B. has offered her place for the BBQ on the 7th. She just needs everyone's e-mail to send an evite.

There is more info on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group ... 3195656831

PatentX

New

Post by PatentX » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:22 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:To the guy saying he wanted to have a BBQ/kegger in a local park: McClatchy Park, which is right by McG is not the sort of place you can put out a keg of beer and not have the drifters descend like flies. Other Sacramento parks are also not terribly keg-friendly, unless you like haggling with the SPD. I suggest going with bottled beers or a private residence.

(Don't mean to be a wet blanket - just sayin')
I just want to second this warning. You risk attracting worse than drifters in that park. They have warned students against entering the park during past orientations.

If you park your car there don't be surprised if someone smashes your window either

Chibi

New

Post by Chibi » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:00 pm

Crossing fingers for housing, I asked for a studio...

allycat

New

Post by allycat » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:23 pm

I just got notice that I got a room.....studio....so I'm happy about that....one less thing to worry about.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:27 am

For those of you headed to McGeorge: As you know from my repeated postings in this thread, I am from Sacramento and looking forward to going back to the area. I want to go to either Davis or McGeorge and I just took the LSAT this week. Obviously I don't know what I got, but I'm guessing somewhere in the 155-165 range (blind guess obviously).

Would you guys mind sharing your stats to give me an idea of what it took to get you in? My GPA is good (3.75), so I'm hoping that even if I get a 155 or so, I will still be good, but some consolation and encouragement would be much appreciated. Also, I graduated in 2007 and am doing Teach For America, so that will help somewhat too.

Katdaddy

New

Post by Katdaddy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:07 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:For those of you headed to McGeorge: As you know from my repeated postings in this thread, I am from Sacramento and looking forward to going back to the area. I want to go to either Davis or McGeorge and I just took the LSAT this week. Obviously I don't know what I got, but I'm guessing somewhere in the 155-165 range (blind guess obviously).

Would you guys mind sharing your stats to give me an idea of what it took to get you in? My GPA is good (3.75), so I'm hoping that even if I get a 155 or so, I will still be good, but some consolation and encouragement would be much appreciated. Also, I graduated in 2007 and am doing Teach For America, so that will help somewhat too.
With a 3.75 and 157, you're a shoe-in UOP's Day Division (make sure you apply early). I didn't apply to Davis, but from what I saw in the TLS Cali thread you'll need a 162+ to be golden at Davis. A lot of people with 160s were rejected from Davis this past cycle. HTH

As far as my stats, I'm 25, 6' Leo.

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:38 am

Soft- I got a 159 3.3 gpa. I really shoudl've re-taken the LSAT but i waited until the last minute so i had to live with it. With a 3.75 (depending on the quality of your undergrad school ) you should be good with a 156 or so getting into UOP.

As far as my stats go - 48 years, 450lbs, i like long walks on the beach, entomology and i have an extensive coin collection as well as MANY cats.

Katdaddy

New

Post by Katdaddy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:08 pm

travvo wrote: As far as my stats go - 48 years, 450lbs, i like long walks on the beach, entomology and i have an extensive coin collection as well as MANY cats.
Grrrrrrrr! Travvo is going to get a ton of ass this semester!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tequilasunriseplz

New

Post by tequilasunriseplz » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:20 pm

Katdaddy wrote:
travvo wrote: As far as my stats go - 48 years, 450lbs, i like long walks on the beach, entomology and i have an extensive coin collection as well as MANY cats.
Grrrrrrrr! Travvo is going to get a ton of ass this semester!
oh baby...oh baby

at 450 lbs, then by "long" beach walks I'm assuming you mean being dropped on the sand by a dump truck to lay like a beached whale -- ...swoon

Now if only Victoria Secret made speedo thongs for men. Can they be sued for being discriminatory?

skylar

New

Post by skylar » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:36 pm

tequilasunriseplz wrote: Now if only Victoria Secret made speedo thongs for men. Can they be sued for being discriminatory?

I seem to remember they were already sued for their discriminatory hiring practices. But then again, if a guy can be a stocker at Vicky's S, why would they want to do any other job there? But maybe Frederick's of Hollywood has something in stock for that romantic beach/dump truck adventure.

allycat

New

Post by allycat » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:00 pm

skylar wrote:
tequilasunriseplz wrote: Now if only Victoria Secret made speedo thongs for men. Can they be sued for being discriminatory?

I seem to remember they were already sued for their discriminatory hiring practices. But then again, if a guy can be a stocker at Vicky's S, why would they want to do any other job there? But maybe Frederick's of Hollywood has something in stock for that romantic beach/dump truck adventure.
I'm pretty sure I have seen something from that line of swimwear. I worked at a water park and from the front, you could not see this man's speedo, only when he turned around was there a little black square covering the crack portion. There was too much skin covering the front part for it to be seen.

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:42 pm

Yeah, thats my style for sure. Total studmuffin (more like a dozen stud muffins all in one). I dont mean to toot my own horn but well you know. Mass=Ego.

Regarding my love for long romantic walks on the beach;
I typically start rolling after a few hundred feet because i'm really round to be honest.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

skylar

New

Post by skylar » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:37 pm

travvo wrote:Yeah, thats my style for sure. Total studmuffin (more like a dozen stud muffins all in one). I dont mean to toot my own horn but well you know. Mass=Ego.

Regarding my love for long romantic walks on the beach;
I typically start rolling after a few hundred feet because i'm really round to be honest.

Travis, I can't wait to meet you. You. are. hilarious. Gold star.

americangirlinparis

New

Post by americangirlinparis » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:55 pm

skylar wrote:You. are. hilarious. Gold star
Ditto. :D

For those wondering about housing (I always forget to look at who asks what...): I got "confirmed" on the list March 24, and then found out June 12.

Good luck!

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:24 pm

Just got word on my housing as well. YAY, i'm glad i dont have to sleep in my car.

lmcelhat

New

Post by lmcelhat » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:43 pm

does anyone know how to open up an email account for mcgeorge?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”