University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
antsinmypants

New

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Post by antsinmypants » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:34 pm

I spoke with someone on the phone. She was unsure and had to get back to me. She said she thinks there will be a dinner after day 2 the orientation on Friday, and that we will probably have assignments. She didn't say anything regarding the ammount or nautre of the work. I'll post later if I hear back from her.

chittychittybangbang

New

Post by chittychittybangbang » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:59 pm

Hi everyone! I am joining the McGeorge 1L party too! Cant wait to meet you all! :D

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:44 pm

Welcome, Chitty! Glad you decided to join up! If you'd like you should join the Facebook group, too. It's call McGeorge SOL Class of 2011. 8)

I just got a call back from McG regarding homework. I she said that there will be assignments, but most of them will be done during orientation. There will be some work for during the weekend, but it won't be much at all.

PatentX

New

Post by PatentX » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:56 pm

antsinmypants wrote: I just got a call back from McG regarding homework. I she said that there will be assignments, but most of them will be done during orientation. There will be some work for during the weekend, but it won't be much at all.
When I did orientation in 2005 we had an orientation assignment. I believe we had to read and brief 3 cases in the Tunkl series.

After orientation you should pick up your actual class assignments. You can pick them up while you are on campus. They will be located at the FSO. If you don't find your assignments there go online and take a look.

Here is a link to the FSO: http://faculty.mcgeorge.edu/academic_hotline/index.htm
I suggest bookmarking it and checking it around orientation for Fall assignments

I strongly suggest you work ahead and tackle as much of the 1st week of assignments as possible to create a buffer in case you can't keep up. If you have no problem with the work then you can use the 1st weekend for fun.

Expect roughly 30-50 pages of reading for every single class per week. You will start out slightly lower than that but they will ramp you up in a few weeks.
EX-Torts/Property/Civil Procedure/Contracts = roughly 120-200 pages of LEGAL reading. Factor in Legal Process (a time consuming workshop that you will hate because of paper deadlines...quite a few people cut the other lectures to meet submission deadlines) and you can see why 1st year in law school is considered difficult. It is a treadmill...don't fall off.

If you aren't a fan of preparedness before school starts then at the very least read the 1st assignment for every class. Do not expect a generic introduction lecture where you simply show up and pick up a syllabus. You will be jumping right in and people will be required to participate. Bring your books AND supplement as well.

One of my most vivid memories from 1st year was the student to my immediate left being called on to give the definition of a contract (promise that is legally enforceable if you are the "lucky" person)

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Patient. Information is somewhat limited to us at this point.

I'm gonna be scarce for a couple weeks. Today is my last day at work before my wedding is this weekend. Then we're off to Mexico for a bit. I'll be looking forward to reading all the new posts and talking with all the new faces when I return. See yall! 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:04 pm

Ants, massive congrats and enjoy your wedding.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:08 am

Hey guys, I am not sure if you know what tuition is for next year, but I remember last year, it took a long time to find out.

I received a notice from the school yesterday that tuition for 2008-2009 will be $36,544 plus $73 in mandatory student fees.

stuffedburrito

New

Post by stuffedburrito » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:30 pm

Ipsa Dixit wrote:Hey guys, I am not sure if you know what tuition is for next year, but I remember last year, it took a long time to find out.

I received a notice from the school yesterday that tuition for 2008-2009 will be $36,544 plus $73 in mandatory student fees.
Ouch! Our last year at McGeorge might cost up or close to $40k!!

Chibi

New

Post by Chibi » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:36 pm

I paid my deposit back in March, now anxiously waiting for campus housing. *crossing fingers*
Anyone else looking for apt within walking distance to campus?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tequilasunriseplz

New

Post by tequilasunriseplz » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:02 am

Hi Chibi, I hear good things about on campus housing so gl. Right about now I REALLY wish I didn't have to use a car to get around.

Despite the cost of gas and tuition, is anyone interested in a TLS/FB get together the week before orientation starts. There's a place called Fox and Goose Pub I bet most of you guys would enjoy.

Katdaddy

New

Post by Katdaddy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:10 am

tequilasunriseplz wrote:Hi Chibi, I hear good things about on campus housing so gl. Right about now I REALLY wish I didn't have to use a car to get around.

Despite the cost of gas and tuition, is anyone interested in a TLS/FB get together the week before orientation starts. There's a place called Fox and Goose Pub I bet most of you guys would enjoy.
I'm down.

americangirlinparis

New

Post by americangirlinparis » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:47 pm

I'm in too!

Re: campus housing...I JUST got an email saying I got a place, so they've started working on it at least! Here's to hoping I have nice neighbors :D

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:04 pm

That's good news re housing, guys!

Like I wrote before, I would like to organize a kegger/bbq at some park the week before the rafting trip assuming we have time. If everyone wants to do a bar night too, I'm sure I'll be down!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kimbowmanjr

New

Post by kimbowmanjr » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:46 pm

Skylar and I were talking about having an activity each night during the five or so days leading up to orientation. I figure most of us will start moving to Sac sometime during the first week of August, so if we have a different thing to do from Wednesday the 6th until the rafting trip on the 11th it will give us opportunities to meet and socialize (read: procrastinate putting together Ikea furniture).

I was thinking something like this:

Wed. the 6th = meet up for coffee somewhere near campus in the evening. Break the ice, try to remember names and faces.

Thurs. the 7th = night out at bar #1

Fri. the 8th = BBQ in the evening

Sat. the 9th = group hiking during the day, bar # 2 at night

Sun. the 10th = a nice, relaxing pre-rafting trip movie (either at a theater or someone's place)

Mon. the 11th = rafting trip

Tues the 12th - Friday the 15th = orientation

Of course these are just some basic ideas, and I'm sure smaller groups of people will want to do things together in addition to these larger events.

Thoughts?

kimbowmanjr

New

Post by kimbowmanjr » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:13 pm

Also, please join the Pacific McGeorge Class of 2011 facebook group if you haven't already. Skylar and I are folding the two groups together to make things easier on everyone. I figure once we all meet in person we'll probably just use the facebook group to send mass messages instead of posting on TLS.

Thanks!

Katdaddy

New

Post by Katdaddy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:13 pm

^^^sounds like a solid plan bowman.

Katdaddy

New

Post by Katdaddy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:19 pm

Is it too late to sign up for the rafting trip?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

skylar

New

Post by skylar » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:14 pm

No, not yet. But you only have until June 15th! So get that check in the mail tomorrow!

Katdaddy

New

Post by Katdaddy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:45 pm

skylar wrote:No, not yet. But you only have until June 15th! So get that check in the mail tomorrow!
Thanks!

PatentX

New

Post by PatentX » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:10 pm

americangirlinparis wrote:I'm in too!

Re: campus housing...I JUST got an email saying I got a place, so they've started working on it at least! Here's to hoping I have nice neighbors :D
If anyone is looking off campus I have a 2 bed/bath apartment in Arden (roughly 15 min drive)
:)

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:34 am

If you guys are looking for something to do on August 9, you could check out the Second Saturday art walk (http://2nd-sat.com).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pachydermavenger

New

Post by pachydermavenger » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:00 pm

mcgeorge it is for me. Hello all! im not going rafting, but i wanna meet you silly billies on the internet so i can be really prejudiced before i meet u all in person.

Chibi

New

Post by Chibi » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:14 pm

tequilasunriseplz wrote:Hi Chibi, I hear good things about on campus housing so gl. Right about now I REALLY wish I didn't have to use a car to get around.

Count me in!

Chibi

New

Post by Chibi » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:15 pm

americangirlinparis wrote:I'm in too!

When did you apply for housing? I applied in March and haven't heard anything from them yet besides the confirmation that I applied.

tequilasunriseplz

New

Post by tequilasunriseplz » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:53 pm

I have a really silly question b/c I should know by now, but is McGeorge a tier 2 school?

I only ask because this U.S. News and World Report site shows it as a tier 1 school:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... rch/page+4

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”