University of Kentucky 1L taking questions. Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
javajoe

New

Re: University of Kentucky 1L taking questions.

Post by javajoe » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:40 pm

Did you find yourself getting anxious/nervous this time last year?

I am extremely excited, and haven't been anxious at all previously. Now I think my mind is playing with me. LOL

ukerock2005

New

Post by ukerock2005 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:41 pm

javajoe wrote:Did you find yourself getting anxious/nervous this time last year?

I am extremely excited, and haven't been anxious at all previously. Now I think my mind is playing with me. LOL
I think I was fine until I went to buy the books. I saw how big they are and how complicated the cases can be. My first class I was a nervous wreck. I had no clue what the socratic method would be like. I even got called on in my first class. Thankfully it went well. It is normal to be nervous though. This website was really helpful for me. I had a lot of questions about law school. Which is why I am now answering questions on here.

javajoe

New

Post by javajoe » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:53 pm

Do most people use a laptop for notes?

Do you use OneNote?

Were your exams on laptop, so you were able to use notes, or what's the norm there?

Thanks again!

ukerock2005

New

Post by ukerock2005 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:51 pm

javajoe wrote:Do most people use a laptop for notes?

Do you use OneNote?

Were your exams on laptop, so you were able to use notes, or what's the norm there?

Thanks again!
A lot of people use computers to take notes. But, not everyone does. Some don't bring computers to avoid the distractions of facebook. Which probably isn't a bad idea, but I enjoy facebook in class sometimes. I do use OneNote and I really like it. Keeps everything really organized.

All of my finals have been optional computer or hand written. Except con law because it was all multiple choice. Everyone uses their computer for exams. 5 people out of a 75 person class may hand write the exam. You cannot use anything on your computer during the test. You download a softwear that brings up a screen really similar to word. It won't let you access the rest of your computer at all. Basically making it impossible to cheat by using notes or the internet. The sysemt also automaically saves your screen shot every few seconds in case your computer shuts down for some reason. The IT people explain everyting and very helpful.

If your professor does allow you to use notes then you must bring in a hard copy. I have had two classes allow me to use notes. My criminal law class allowed you to bring in anything you had typed out. So basically your outline. Also we were allowed to use our book. In every civ pro class you are allowed to bring in your Federal Rules of Civl procedure book. In my specific class we were allowed to write anything we wanted in the blank spaces of that book.

The thing to remember is that the tests are timed and will take almost everyone the entire time to complete. Some people finsih a bit early and some run out of time. But most need the full time. So you do not have time to use your notes or book very much. Basically you should know most of the information cold. Use the spaces to write brief defintions or draw charts to refresh your brain. Also put down anythign you have struggled with remembering.

For me to feel prepared for a test I should be able to quote to myself my entire outline without looking at it. During the test you do not have a lot of time to sit and remember things. This may all sound difficult, but you spend so much time on this stuff you wil be able to remember most of it on command. Also your exams last as many hours as credits you will recieve for the class. So contracts, civ pro, and crim are all 3 hour test. Torts is 4 hours. But, my torts professor dropped it down to 3. Then spring semester my property prof. did the same thing. I had one two hour final but it was all multiple choice.

ukerock2005

New

Post by ukerock2005 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:03 pm

I'm putting off doing any more tax law work while I can. Have they told you guys anything about the schedule for this summer? What events you will be having and such. I think mentors go to some of the events. I think you all should be assigned a mentor either early or middle july. I think we will email you and introduce ourself then ask if you have any questions.

Back to pretending to be a lawyer I guess. 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

javajoe

New

Post by javajoe » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:51 pm

Thanks again. Just knowing what to expect makes me feel better.

As far as I remember, they haven't told us anything other than orientation.

ukerock2005

New

Post by ukerock2005 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:24 pm

javajoe wrote:Thanks again. Just knowing what to expect makes me feel better.

As far as I remember, they haven't told us anything other than orientation.
Trust me I felt the same way before 1L. I was asking about everything. But I knew absolutley nothing about the law or law school. If you have any more topics or questions feel free to ask.

ukerock2005

New

Post by ukerock2005 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:58 pm

What did you all think of the perspectives?

appaws

New

Post by appaws » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Just thought I would drop in this thread and say Hi. I am also starting LS at Kentucky this coming August. Really looking forward to it. It was between UK and UL for me, and I got into both. I would have gotten a little more $ at Louisville, but the strengths of the program at UK seemed more important in the long run. I also hated the campus and the atmosphere in general at Louisville, although the Law School itself was a little nicer as far as facilities.

I just got the perspectives thing today, I flipped through and read through some of the entries that particularly applied to me. I plan on reading the rest over the next couple of days.

When do people start figuring out specific areas of the law to aim for? I mean, considering that you are looking for employment so quickly for your 1L summer, it seems that you would want to have some idea of the areas that interest you more to tailor that job search...?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:06 pm

ukerock2005 wrote:What did you all think of the perspectives?
I loved the line about Torts, comparing it to America's Funniest Home Videos before you grew up and figured out it was lame. hahaha.

ukerock2005

New

Post by ukerock2005 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:15 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:
ukerock2005 wrote:What did you all think of the perspectives?
I loved the line about Torts, comparing it to America's Funniest Home Videos before you grew up and figured out it was lame. hahaha.[/quote

I wrote one of the "Transition to law school" essays. I would like to read all of them but they didn't send us copies.

ukerock2005

New

Post by ukerock2005 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:45 pm

When do people start figuring out specific areas of the law to aim for? I mean, considering that you are looking for employment so quickly for your 1L summer, it seems that you would want to have some idea of the areas that interest you more to tailor that job search...?[/quote]

Your situation sounds really similar to mine. I was down to UK and UofL and I choose UK even though UofL offered me more money.

Your job search doesn't really start till November so you have some time to see what classes jump out at you first semester. If you really enjoy crim law you may want to pursue a job with the public defenders office. But with the scarcity of jobs most people are losing the ability to be picky with where they work. Most people are just happy to get some experince. The second summer will be far more important when it comes to working in an area you want to practice. Most people enter law school with an idea of what they would like to practice: buissness, personal injury, equine, public interest, criminal etc. But honestly with the economy I think most of us would be happy to find any job when we graduate.

Personally I want to do some form of buisness law, but I am working with a public interest group this summer. Any experince is better than nothing.

appaws

New

Post by appaws » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:41 am

ukerock2005 wrote:Most people enter law school with an idea of what they would like to practice: buissness, personal injury, equine, public interest, criminal etc. But honestly with the economy I think most of us would be happy to find any job when we graduate.

Personally I want to do some form of buisness law, but I am working with a public interest group this summer. Any experince is better than nothing.
I have been thinking about it some since deciding to go to LS, although it is not based on too much hard knowledge. I have two lawyer friends, one who is an ADA in Illinois and the other who is an associate at a firm in Iowa. Both have reported to me how much they like what they are doing, although neither are making really big money. (I would be pretty happy to make what either of them make.)

I have thought a little, and read a few articles on the web, about health-care law and insurance. For some reason the thought of defending doctors in malpractice cases, etc. seems attractive to me. I may be wrong, but it also seems like a safe bet for continuing and strongly paying employment in the future...

Anyway, I am super-excited for August. If you don't mind I have a couple more questions:

1. Do you do most of your reading and studying at home, or in the law library? Or somewhere else on campus?

2. What is the process at UK for getting on law review?

3. When do we get financial aid money, refunds, etc. I just want to plan out buying a decent laptop and a couple file cabinets for my office...?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ukerock2005

New

Post by ukerock2005 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:46 pm

appaws wrote: 1. Do you do most of your reading and studying at home, or in the law library? Or somewhere else on campus?

2. What is the process at UK for getting on law review?

3. When do we get financial aid money, refunds, etc. I just want to plan out buying a decent laptop and a couple file cabinets for my office...?
1. I do the majority of my reading in the law school. I mix up my studying between the library, the lounge outside of the library, and the quiet lounge in the basement. I only study in the quiet lounge if I am by myself. The library can sometimes be a bit too quiet for me when I am studying with friends. So, most of my studying is done in the lounge outside of the library.

But everyone is different. Some people go home as soon as possible and study there. Then some people are at the library till 10 at night. I prefer to do the work at school, so when I go home I can relax. Also, I really don’t want to haul all of those books back and forth.

2. The process starts in the summer after your first year. You have to write a paper on a legal situation they give you and then do an assignment that grades your citation and editing skills. They give you multiple weeks after your last final to complete the project.

3. I can’t remember when they send out your financial aid.

ukerock2005

New

Post by ukerock2005 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:58 pm

One of my favorite things about UK is the lack of cut throat people we have. I heard all the stories about pages being torn from books and other horror stories, but I never experienced any. The best example of this is when my writing section was preparing to do oral arguments. In your second semester you will do an oral argument against someone in your writing section. There is a panel of 4 students and your writing prof who act like judges. It is done at the court house and is a really neat experience. Prior to the oral argument most of us met up with our opponent and went over what arguments and counter arguments we were going to use. No one wanted to embarrass the other side by making a new argument that they had not presented in their brief. We all wanted to be on equal footing and let any success come from our ability to argue, not our ability to sandbag. It is nice to know that you only have to worry about grades, not what other students may do to sabotage you. In the end remember you are going to school with the people who will one day run the state of Kentucky. It is better to make friends than enemies with your peers. That person you undercut could one day be your boss, judge, or a politician.

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:12 pm

ukerock2005 wrote:One of my favorite things about UK is the lack of cut throat people we have. I heard all the stories about pages being torn from books and other horror stories, but I never experienced any. The best example of this is when my writing section was preparing to do oral arguments. In your second semester you will do an oral argument against someone in your writing section. There is a panel of 4 students and your writing prof who act like judges. It is done at the court house and is a really neat experience. Prior to the oral argument most of us met up with our opponent and went over what arguments and counter arguments we were going to use. No one wanted to embarrass the other side by making a new argument that they had not presented in their brief. We all wanted to be on equal footing and let any success come from our ability to argue, not our ability to sandbag. It is nice to know that you only have to worry about grades, not what other students may do to sabotage you. In the end remember you are going to school with the people who will one day run the state of Kentucky. It is better to make friends than enemies with your peers. That person you undercut could one day be your boss, judge, or a politician.
I definitely picked up on that vibe when I visited. Absolutely one of the reasons I decided I needed to relocate to Lex.

And speaking of relocation, I'm looking at (so far) three apartments this weekend . . . wheeee

ukerock2005

New

Post by ukerock2005 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:30 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:And speaking of relocation, I'm looking at (so far) three apartments this weekend . . . wheeee
Good luck. I sign a new lease on my place on the 9th. What areas are you looking at?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:21 pm

ukerock2005 wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:And speaking of relocation, I'm looking at (so far) three apartments this weekend . . . wheeee
Good luck. I sign a new lease on my place on the 9th. What areas are you looking at?
one right off S. Limestone, another one next door to Broadway Church of Christ (I think?), and another one...can't remember the address. The last one is about four miles out from campus.

ukerock2005

New

Post by ukerock2005 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:43 am

Pretzel_Logic wrote:
ukerock2005 wrote:
one right off S. Limestone, another one next door to Broadway Church of Christ (I think?), and another one...can't remember the address. The last one is about four miles out from campus.
Sounds good. Just remember to act like a lawyer and read your lease before you sign it.

ukerock2005

New

Post by ukerock2005 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:30 pm

How is the summer going so far? Are you all getting nervous or still excited?

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:46 pm

Definitely starting to realize I'm about to be a 1L in a month, haha. I am getting excited to move and get started! And also to find out my schedule...I guess section assignments come out soon?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ukerock2005

New

Post by ukerock2005 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:28 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Definitely starting to realize I'm about to be a 1L in a month, haha. I am getting excited to move and get started! And also to find out my schedule...I guess section assignments come out soon?

I believe your schedules should be coming out soon. I had Bauries, Gaetke, Dennis, Healy, and
Robinson my first semester. So I can give information on any of them. You should be receiving an email from your mentor sometime soon. I just sent my mentee an email today.

Amir N

Bronze

Post by Amir N » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Thanks for taking time to answer some of our questions. I'm considering University of Kentucky. I'm a Wisconsin native with a 3.57 and 159. Half-persian, along with typical softs and 1 year work experience.

What do you think of my chances?

Would any financial aid besides loans be unrealistic?

How easy is it to achieve residency?

I noticed the median starting salary, accordng to TLS, is about 60,000. Do you know anything about that or employment prospects?

Thanks!

ukerock2005

New

Post by ukerock2005 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:03 pm

I think you have great chances. I had a 3.5 gpa and 158 on my LSAT and I am right around our median in both categories.

Due to you being half Persian it would be hard to guess at what financial aid you could receive. Diversity is important at UK, so it is possible you could get a URM scholarship.

I was born and raised in Kentucky, so I have no clue about residency.

From my understanding 60,000 median makes sense in Kentucky. Job prospects are rough in Kentucky, but they are everywhere. The Legal market has taken a hit. The good news is by the time you graduate law school it should be recovering. A UK law degree caries a lot of weight in state. If you do well in school there should be no reason you cannot find a job in Kentucky.

appaws

New

Post by appaws » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:23 pm

Got my class schedule today. I have Frost for Contracts, Price for Torts, Harding for Criminal Law, and Bauries for Civ Pro. Can anyone tell me anything about these profs?

I am a little confused with the schedule, as I don't see a time for Legal Research or Legal Writing on there, even though they are on the book list.

Just a few more weeks. I am super-pumped!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”