Boalt's LSAT Median Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Kronk

Diamond

Re: Boalt's LSAT Median

Post by Kronk » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:40 am

r2b2ct wrote:
Morrissey'sGhost wrote:There are three reasons that a given individual may do better than another on the LSAT : (1) he really has better logical/analytical skills (2) he has better nerves and doesn't stress as much on test day and (3) he studies his ass off far more than his competitor

I love how everyone completely neglect (2) and ESPECIALLY (3) in their discussions on these boards. How do you know how long the 172 studied compared to the 169? I have a hunch that there's a good deal of Trolls on here who holed themselves up for 5 months, shunned the daylight, pounded away for hours a day at this one test, hit 172, and now have the arrogance to come on here and pronounce their unquestionable intellectual superiority over those in the 169 camp, many of whom studied for one half or less the time.

I think Berkeley's admission policy takes these factors into account. They realize that there is no real way to distinguish between the true geniouses who ace the LSAT with minimal prep and those who dedicate decades of their life to studying for this one test, who then try to pass of their work ethic as pristine intellect. Berkeley realizes that due to these totally unobservable discrepencies in prep time, the 169 with good grades, a compelling personality( as indicated by their personal statement), and substantive extracurricular/professional activities may very well be, ON AVERAGE, just as, if not more, intelligent than the 173 without those additional factors.
I feel you bro. I also hate it when people neglect those who choose to study minimally in UG. I mean come on, how do you know how long the 3.9 studied compared to the 3.1?
I think that choosing to not study for four years and get a sub 3.4 GPA is a lot more indicative of someone who will not be successful in law school than someone who who gets nervous for a test, though.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:39 am

Kronk wrote:
r2b2ct wrote:
Morrissey'sGhost wrote:There are three reasons that a given individual may do better than another on the LSAT : (1) he really has better logical/analytical skills (2) he has better nerves and doesn't stress as much on test day and (3) he studies his ass off far more than his competitor

I love how everyone completely neglect (2) and ESPECIALLY (3) in their discussions on these boards. How do you know how long the 172 studied compared to the 169? I have a hunch that there's a good deal of Trolls on here who holed themselves up for 5 months, shunned the daylight, pounded away for hours a day at this one test, hit 172, and now have the arrogance to come on here and pronounce their unquestionable intellectual superiority over those in the 169 camp, many of whom studied for one half or less the time.

I think Berkeley's admission policy takes these factors into account. They realize that there is no real way to distinguish between the true geniouses who ace the LSAT with minimal prep and those who dedicate decades of their life to studying for this one test, who then try to pass of their work ethic as pristine intellect. Berkeley realizes that due to these totally unobservable discrepencies in prep time, the 169 with good grades, a compelling personality( as indicated by their personal statement), and substantive extracurricular/professional activities may very well be, ON AVERAGE, just as, if not more, intelligent than the 173 without those additional factors.
I feel you bro. I also hate it when people neglect those who choose to study minimally in UG. I mean come on, how do you know how long the 3.9 studied compared to the 3.1?
I think that choosing to not study for four years and get a sub 3.4 GPA is a lot more indicative of someone who will not be successful in law school than someone who who gets nervous for a test, though.
Really? I'd think the opposite. A person can choose to become more motivated. They can't choose to stop being a choker.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:43 am

Kronk wrote:I think that choosing to not study for four years and get a sub 3.4 GPA is a lot more indicative of someone who will not be successful in law school than someone who who gets nervous for a test, though.
Your all-important 1L grades consist almost entirely of 6-8 high-presssure time-limited exams.

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:57 am

rayiner wrote:
Kronk wrote:I think that choosing to not study for four years and get a sub 3.4 GPA is a lot more indicative of someone who will not be successful in law school than someone who who gets nervous for a test, though.
Your all-important 1L grades if you don't go to Yale consist almost entirely of 6-8 high-presssure time-limited exams.
FTFY

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:05 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Kronk wrote:
r2b2ct wrote:

Really? I'd think the opposite. A person can choose to become more motivated. They can't choose to stop being a choker.
You can't teach being clutch.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dudester

Bronze

Post by dudester » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:44 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Kronk wrote:
r2b2ct wrote:

Psychology fail

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:07 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Kronk wrote:
r2b2ct wrote:
Hence, the invention of Xanax (which student health services generally give out like candy... or so I've heard...)

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:08 am

wrong

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:40 pm

berkeley's LSAT median is low because the school is a joke, not because they take into account other factors that the rest of the T14 ignore, boalt is not special

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Morrissey'sGhost

New

Post by Morrissey'sGhost » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:42 pm

adh07d wrote:

wrong
No I'd say its pretty right.

Morrissey'sGhost

New

Post by Morrissey'sGhost » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:52 pm

And for you to deride a school for preferring the candidate with unique work/extracurricular experience who can write an interesting well-thought out essay, over the robot who spends 6 months 12 hours a day prepping for a test so he can hit an extra three multiple choice questions is pretty ridiculous when you really take step back and look at it. And if you don't know individuals that fit the bill for the two categories I've described, I'd guess you're probably a member of the later group.
Last edited by Morrissey'sGhost on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:53 pm

Morrissey'sGhost wrote:And for you to deride a school for preferring the candidate with unique work/extracurricular experience who can write an interesting well-thought out essay, over the robot who spends 6 months 12 hours a day prepping for a test so he can hit an extra three multiple choice questions is pretty ridiculous when you really take step back and look at it. And if you don't know individuals that fit the bill for the two categories I've described, I'd guess you're probably a member of the former category.
EGREGIOUS anti-aspergers trolling. You sir are a bigot.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:55 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
Morrissey'sGhost wrote:And for you to deride a school for preferring the candidate with unique work/extracurricular experience who can write an interesting well-thought out essay, over the robot who spends 6 months 12 hours a day prepping for a test so he can hit an extra three multiple choice questions is pretty ridiculous when you really take step back and look at it. And if you don't know individuals that fit the bill for the two categories I've described, I'd guess you're probably a member of the former category.
EGREGIOUS anti-aspergers trolling. You sir are a bigot.
There he is.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

savagecheater

Bronze

Post by savagecheater » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:08 pm

Kronk wrote:
r2b2ct wrote:

My sub-3.4 GPA (3.2) was because of particularly brutal pledging at my fraternity sophomore year.

so no.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:03 pm

Just to get in on this.. I would turn down Yale for Boalt in a heart beat without a second thought..

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:47 pm

good for you, way to make the wrong but prideful choice

irishman86

Bronze

Post by irishman86 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:55 pm

Last edited by irishman86 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:58 pm

irishman86 wrote:
$1.99 wrote:berkeley's LSAT median is low because the school is a joke, not because they take into account other factors that the rest of the T14 ignore, boalt is not special
A Boaltie I know (not urm) spells "restaurant" as "restaraunt," which says a lot about the entrance requirements and quality of many of its students.
One person's actions says a lot about an entire institution and many of its students?

irishman86

Bronze

Post by irishman86 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:06 pm

Last edited by irishman86 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:13 pm

LSAT is importnat. GPA is important. Boalt is a TTT. /thread

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:54 pm

irishman86 wrote:
$1.99 wrote:berkeley's LSAT median is low because the school is a joke, not because they take into account other factors that the rest of the T14 ignore, boalt is not special
A Boaltie I know (not urm) spells "restaurant" as "restaraunt," which says a lot about the entrance requirements and quality of many of its students.
Your sentence ends with "... which says a lot about the entrance requirements and quality of many of its students." Since we are already analyzing someone's spelling, how about we analyze your sentence structure and conclude that whatever institution you attend is a proper TTT.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CredoUtIntellegam

New

Post by CredoUtIntellegam » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 am

irishman86 wrote:
With logic like this, you'll make a fine addition to Cooley's incoming class.

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:17 am

ITT splitters vent their frustrations.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:26 pm

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:32 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
ViP wrote:ITT splitters vent their frustrations.
itt people use laughable BOALTTTian logic.

who said i am frustrated?
And reverse splitters defend their inadequacies. Both groups are half fail.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”