Rutgers Law School-Camden Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
awonderful

New

Rutgers Law School-Camden Questions

Post by awonderful » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:31 pm

Hello

Rutgers-Camden looks like where I will be going this fall. I have a few questions about housing.

I have read about the victorlofts but other than that I have not heard anything about other apartments or on campus housing. Any current students willing to share some info? Thank you in advance.

alannak

New

Re: Rutgers Law School-Camden Questions

Post by alannak » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:36 pm

Sorry I'm not a student there, and I'm not even from NJ. But I'm seriously considering attending in the fall. I took a drive down (I'm in NYC) to Camden just to see what the area looked like-- and Cherry Hill, which is a really nice place to live-- is like 10 minutes away. It's right next to the city of Camden. I think that's where I'll be looking for an apartment if I attend.

awonderful

New

Post by awonderful » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:44 pm

I am from the nyc area as well. I drove down to camden in the fall for a coldplay concert. The area around the arena was pretty sketch. I have been looking at apts in cherry hill, pennsauken, collingswood..but have no clue if googlemaps 15 minute drive is actually 15 minutes. I guess they will have more info for us at ASD.

arundodonax

New

Post by arundodonax » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:42 pm

Last edited by arundodonax on Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

getmetolawschool

New

Post by getmetolawschool » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:49 pm

One of my best friends from college is a 3L there now and lives in the Victor -- she loves it! But it's definitely expensive -- I think around $900 a month, which to me is just CRAZY for Camden.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

awonderful

New

Post by awonderful » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:52 pm

arundodonax wrote:I've lived in SJ for most of my life, and Rutgers-Camden is on my list.

From what I've heard, many students live in Philly and take the train over. I'm pretty sure PATCO stops right in front of the law school.

If you are leaning towards living on the Jersey side, downtown Collingswood is my recommendation. Relatively inexpensive, Collingswood has a burgeoning downtown area, and PATCO (the train to Philly) runs right through it. If you live close enough to the train, you could take PATCO to school every day. Look for places on or near Haddon ave between 130 and Cuthbert: the closer to Collins ave or the train station, the better.

Cherry Hill is expensive, and definitely has the suburb vibe. You'll be driving everywhere if you live there.

Another option is Haddonfield, granted, this town views itself as a little more ritzy than Collingswood. It also has a train stop.

The dark horse is Riverton, and maybe Palmyra. This is a very nice place, and would be ideal for someone not looking to be in Philly all the time; perhaps someone with a young family. The river line light rail runs from Riverton right next to the law school as well.

Thanks for all the info. I am planning on living on the NJ side so I can be eligible for state tuition in year 2-3.

geekrocker37

Bronze

Post by geekrocker37 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:47 am

95% sure I will be going hanging out in Camden next year as well. As long as you live within a 15 minute distance from a PATCO stop, you are set.

Queenjane87

New

Post by Queenjane87 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:52 pm

I am pretty sure I'll be at Rutgers-Camden in the fall as well. Is anyone else going to the ASD in march?

I think I'll be living in Philly, I'm not one for driving or living the suburbs! My cousins live in Cherry Hill, it is really nice and safe but definitely feels like a suburb. For those of you who have seen the campus, is it nice? feels safe?

arundodonax

New

Post by arundodonax » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:18 pm

The campus is sort of nestled under the bridge, so it feels a little separate from the rest of Camden. It feels safe, but I wouldn't walk farther than three blocks away from it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bucknell09

New

Post by bucknell09 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:45 pm

How many students are in a section?

What is the student body like? Young? Old? Will someone who just came from undergrad do alright?

Does the school provide/encourage social activities?

Do most 1L's live on campus or off?

bucknell09

New

Post by bucknell09 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:24 am

anyone know anything about this school?

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:43 am

alannak wrote:Sorry I'm not a student there, and I'm not even from NJ. But I'm seriously considering attending in the fall. I took a drive down (I'm in NYC) to Camden just to see what the area looked like-- and Cherry Hill, which is a really nice place to live-- is like 10 minutes away. It's right next to the city of Camden. I think that's where I'll be looking for an apartment if I attend.

I just got accepted last week. I google mapped Cherry Hill. What's the deal with the Garden State Park? Is it complete? It looks like a pile of dirt on goolge maps

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:58 am

bucknell09 wrote:anyone know anything about this school?

+1... this thread seems pretty dull... I think we all want some answers... any current students helpful enough to help us out? Because of such short notice on being accepted, I won't be able to attend Law Day (just too damn expensive of a flight from California).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

arundodonax

New

Post by arundodonax » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:40 pm

Garden state park was a race track and is now a new shopping area with upscale shopping and restaurants like Cheesecake Factory and Mccormick and Schmicks. It wouldn't be a bad area to live in, I would think. A park it is not.

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:49 pm

So this is such a California question but will it be hard to make it to school if you are living in the suburbs that are posted above if it's snowing?

Ella512

New

Post by Ella512 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:15 pm

goodtobe, i love how you said this is such a california question... but no, you won't have any trouble getting to school if it's snowing. i don't go to rutgers yet, however, i've grown up in new jersey.. we don't often get that bad of snow that would cause trouble getting anywhere. This winter seemed to be a serious fluke.

Jerzeegirl

New

Post by Jerzeegirl » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:39 am

Just finished reading One L and wondering if study groups are common.

Does living far from campus put you at a disadvantage academically?

And are grades based entirely on one exam at the end of semester?

Thanks in advance for any input. :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

makingwaves

Bronze

Post by makingwaves » Sun May 09, 2010 6:16 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:So this is such a California question but will it be hard to make it to school if you are living in the suburbs that are posted above if it's snowing?
I wouldn't worry about it, we don't get too much snow and the towns in the area are very fast to deal with any weather issues, but even so its a pretty easy drive to the law school from Collingswood/Haddonfield/Cherry Hill. Don't be fooled by Google Maps though, tack ten or fifteen minutes onto any directions it gives you -- the area is definitely congested during peak hours.

axeffect

New

Post by axeffect » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:35 am

z
Last edited by axeffect on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:28 am

You just replied to everyone from our class so you know :lol:.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:57 am

I know all of these questions are from last year, but does anyone have answers to them as I'll be coming as a 1L in August.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ardvark666

New

Post by ardvark666 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:54 pm

I can say that I went to RU Camden as an undergrad and you def want to take the PATCO train. Any place along the map is fine but not Ferry Ave, Broadway, or City Hall. If you live in Camden good luck. They just laid off over half of the police force. The campus is nice and the law building is brandy new. I have friends that went to LS there and loved it. My uncle is a grad from way back. I just might go myself.

BostonNJ

New

Post by BostonNJ » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:53 am

they rehired all the police officers and added another 20 to the force. There is a strong police and security presents in Camden. With Rutgers expanding in the area and more students moving into Camden, I foresee some transformation in the next 5 to 10 years.

BostonNJ

New

Post by BostonNJ » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:16 am

Hey,

Does anyone know the orientation schedule for August? The email got lost in my spam folder. Thanks!

gc018

New

Post by gc018 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:28 am

Here is the top portion of the email for orientation:

Rutgers School of Law at Camden Orientation 2011

Orientation overview
Attendance at Orientation is required for all First-year students, full time and part time. Portions of Orientation are required for Transfer Students and Summer Jumpstarts students. Please see the last column in the following pages. Those who are unable to attend their portions of Orientation must contact Student Affairs: studentaffairs@camlaw.rutgers.edu

All full-time first-year students who did not attend the Summer Jumpstart program are required to attend these portions of Orientation: Thursday August 18, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm (includes Barbecue lunch); Friday August 19, 10:00 am to 1:00 pm and Sunday, August 21, 5:00 to 8:00 pm.

Summer Jumpstart students are required to attend these portions of Orientation: Thursday, August 18, 10:00 to 4:00 pm and Sunday, August 21, 5:00 to 8:00 pm. Attendance is not required for Jumpstarts on Friday, August 19.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”