Georgia 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LawDawg2012

New

Georgia 1L Taking Questions

Post by LawDawg2012 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:33 pm

Any questions about Georgia Law? Fire away...

tarheel87

Bronze

Re: Georgia 1L Taking Questions

Post by tarheel87 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:00 pm

1. Could you talk about the competiveness at UGA? I've heard from a few posters, but I'd love to heat another opinion.

2. How do GA firms view out of state UGA Law grads? Are they accepting or wary? Particularly in the smaller markets. I don't want to attend only to be unable to get a job due to being perceived as a flight risk.

3. Could you talk about degree portability at all?

4. How has the most recent class or 3L class (that you know of) generally done/doing? The horror stories out of the T40's is starting to sound very very real.

5. What made you choose UGA over your other options?

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:01 pm

I'm looking at places to live in Athens that make it possible for me to walk to school every day. So far, I've looked at the condos at 821 Baxter, University Towers, and 909 E Broad St. Do you know anything about any of those places? Is there a place within walking distance that I should know about?

Note: I am terrified of bugs in most, if not all of their forms. I don't do cockroaches.

LawDawg2012

New

Post by LawDawg2012 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:18 pm

tarheel87 wrote:1. Could you talk about the competitiveness at UGA? I've heard from a few posters, but I'd love to heat another opinion.

2. How do GA firms view out of state UGA Law grads? Are they accepting or wary? Particularly in the smaller markets. I don't want to attend only to be unable to get a job due to being perceived as a flight risk.

4. How has the most recent class or 3L class (that you know of) generally done/doing? The horror stories out of the T40's is starting to sound very very real.

1. Georgia Law is competitive, but you can say that about most law schools. Our school grades on a 100% curve, so somebody has to be last. HOWEVER, I've never felt like I was in a competition. Generally, students are reserved about showing off their work ethic, study habits, grades, etc. We're all pulling for each other.

2. I can only speak from my experiences, but so far I'd say that reception out of state is pretty good. We've had numerous firms interview on-campus for 1L associate positions (which are VERY rare). A good many of those are from Alabama, Florida, and South Carolina. It says a lot about our school that firms will recruit from out of state in this economic time.

Our Career Services Center is amazing! They will bend over backwards to find you a job.

Also, about 1 out of every 4 1Ls are participating in our international externship program. The school provides a $1000 stipend to the first 30 students who sign up. Last year students worked all over the place including China, Germany, South America, and the Nova Scotia Supreme Court.

3. Again, very limited knowledge of this, but I'd say if you are looking to stay in the Southeast you won't run into problems with portability. Honestly, if you want to work in DC or NY there are probably better places to attend. It just comes down to contacts. For more info, check out the NALP Directory and search for firms that conduct on-campus interviews at Georgia Law.

4. There is no denying that things are pretty rough out there. I haven't seen any employment statistics from the 2009 class. I'm sure its not great, but that's just the way it was for that class. That being said, I'd recommend not looking too much at the 2009 class because that is as bad as it will get. Things have already gotten better, and they are still improving. These firms are going to have to hire more people because they're getting more work.

5. In one word, COST. You cannot beat Georgia Law for the price tag. Especially in the time we are in, it just makes no sense to pay three times as much to goto a private school when you can get practically the same degree at Georgia. Any one who does the simple steps to become a Georgia resident will get in-state tuition for their 2L year.

Thanks for the questions, keep them coming.

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:55 pm

LawDawg2012 wrote:
tarheel87 wrote:1. Could you talk about the competitiveness at UGA? I've heard from a few posters, but I'd love to heat another opinion.

1. Georgia Law is competitive, but you can say that about most law schools. Our school grades on a 100% curve, so somebody has to be last. HOWEVER, I've never felt like I was in a competition. Generally, students are reserved about showing off their work ethic, study habits, grades, etc. We're all pulling for each other.

2. I can only speak from my experiences, but so far I'd say that reception out of state is pretty good. We've had numerous firms interview on-campus for 1L associate positions (which are VERY rare). A good many of those are from Alabama, Florida, and South Carolina. It says a lot about our school that firms will recruit from out of state in this economic time.

Our Career Services Center is amazing! They will bend over backwards to find you a job.

Also, about 1 out of every 4 1Ls are participating in our international externship program. The school provides a $1000 stipend to the first 30 students who sign up. Last year students worked all over the place including China, Germany, South America, and the Nova Scotia Supreme Court.

3. Again, very limited knowledge of this, but I'd say if you are looking to stay in the Southeast you won't run into problems with portability. Honestly, if you want to work in DC or NY there are probably better places to attend. It just comes down to contacts. For more info, check out the NALP Directory and search for firms that conduct on-campus interviews at Georgia Law.

4. There is no denying that things are pretty rough out there. I haven't seen any employment statistics from the 2009 class. I'm sure its not great, but that's just the way it was for that class. That being said, I'd recommend not looking too much at the 2009 class because that is as bad as it will get. Things have already gotten better, and they are still improving. These firms are going to have to hire more people because they're getting more work.

5. In one word, COST. You cannot beat Georgia Law for the price tag. Especially in the time we are in, it just makes no sense to pay three times as much to goto a private school when you can get practically the same degree at Georgia. Any one who does the simple steps to become a Georgia resident will get in-state tuition for their 2L year.

Thanks a ton, you were very helpful. However, for question two I was more asking how firms in Georgia would view someone from another state who attended UGA Law. Would I still be seen as an outsider and a flight risk, being from NC? I've heard in the past that having ties to the area you want to work beyond attending that school can be important. Sorry if I'm not being clear. I just want to make sure that if I attend UGA that I could secure a job in other parts of Georgia if Atlanta doesn't work out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LawDawg2012

New

Post by LawDawg2012 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:28 am

eandy wrote:I'm looking at places to live in Athens that make it possible for me to walk to school every day. So far, I've looked at the condos at 821 Baxter, University Towers, and 909 E Broad St. Do you know anything about any of those places? Is there a place within walking distance that I should know about?

Note: I am terrified of bugs in most, if not all of their forms. I don't do cockroaches.
I believe the 821 Baxter you are referring to is called "The Overlook." That's actually not the address, but the good news is that means The Overlook is closer to campus. Super nice, great place. HUGE living space.

University Towers - Rumor is that they use to be a parking garage and they converted it to apartments. Not the nicest, but I know people who live there and they love the location.

909 - good place, definitely walkable. Huge complex. The hallways aren't the most appealing thing, but then again, you won't be sleeping in the hallways (unless you have a big night downtown).

One you didn't mentioned is the "Cotton Exchange Lofts" downtown. Great location, new construction, and I've heard good things.

Any other places you can think of, just let me know.

Bottom Line: I'd recommend Cotton Exchange or The Overlook.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:31 am

LawDawg2012 wrote: I believe the 821 Baxter you are referring to is called "The Overlook." That's actually not the address, but the good news is that means The Overlook is closer to campus. Super nice, great place. HUGE living space.

University Towers - Rumor is that they use to be a parking garage and they converted it to apartments. Not the nicest, but I know people who live there and they love the location.

909 - good place, definitely walkable. Huge complex. The hallways aren't the most appealing thing, but then again, you won't be sleeping in the hallways (unless you have a big night downtown).

One you didn't mentioned is the "Cotton Exchange Lofts" downtown. Great location, new construction, and I've heard good things.

Thanks for the help! You're awesome! I've been trying to figure out what the Baxter one was called for a while--I am a review whore. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to help us 0Ls : )

LawDawg2012

New

Post by LawDawg2012 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:37 am

tarheel87 wrote:

Thanks a ton, you were very helpful. However, for question two I was more asking how firms in Georgia would view someone from another state who attended UGA Law. Would I still be seen as an outsider and a flight risk, being from NC? I've heard in the past that having ties to the area you want to work beyond attending that school can be important. Sorry if I'm not being clear. I just want to make sure that if I attend UGA that I could secure a job in other parts of Georgia if Atlanta doesn't work out.
Sorry I misread your question Tar Heel (rough night for you guys tonight too).

Now this is a question I can answer. I'm not from Georgia, nor did I goto undergrad in the state. The key is demonstrating a level of commitment to the state. Now, the question is how? By choosing Georgia Law, you've obviously committed to a certain degree. The thing that works for me (and actually has landed me a paying 1L job for the summer) is being very sincere in interviews about your desire to practice in Georgia.

You are completely right in your assumption that having ties to the area is important. However, I don't seeing it killing your chances of practicing in an area where you don't have a ton of connections.

Hope this is the answer you were looking for.

Killacam18

New

Post by Killacam18 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:56 pm

Any thought/opinions on the Cascades on the River or Spring Lake? Or really anything actually, I'm very willing to be a little further out in order to get a little nicer and larger place. Thanks and hope second semester is going well for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hankstamper

New

Post by hankstamper » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Last edited by hankstamper on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ppa840

Bronze

Post by ppa840 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:31 pm

LawDawg2012 wrote:
eandy wrote:I'm looking at places to live in Athens that make it possible for me to walk to school every day. So far, I've looked at the condos at 821 Baxter, University Towers, and 909 E Broad St. Do you know anything about any of those places? Is there a place within walking distance that I should know about?

I believe the 821 Baxter you are referring to is called "The Overlook." That's actually not the address, but the good news is that means The Overlook is closer to campus. Super nice, great place. HUGE living space.

The Cotton Exchange is a great place to live. Look into Waterford Apts and Whistlebury Walk.

flowerpot

New

Post by flowerpot » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:40 pm

Thanks so much for taking questions!!

How would you describe the quality of life at UGA law? Do you have time to have a social life and study? How would you describe the workload?

LawDawg2012

New

Post by LawDawg2012 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:11 am

flowerpot wrote:Thanks so much for taking questions!!

How would you describe the quality of life at UGA law? Do you have time to have a social life and study? How would you describe the workload?
Quality of Life: If you are unfamiliar with the city of Athens, I'll tell you it is unbelievable. Perfect size with a great mix between college town feel and big city life. Getting to school everyday is a breeze. Downtown Athens is one of the best college bar scenes in the country (somewhere around 100 bars of all different styles). It's a great place to study law because when you want to let loose you can sure do it. School is difficult, but expect to have a social life if you choose Georgia Law(outside of exam and memo/brief time).

First semester is TOUGH, but once you get through it then it's all down hill. You will have 6 classes your first semester and will be busier than ever, but football tailgating in the fall is big with 1Ls. We were usually downtown on Friday and Saturday nights. Best way to look at it is as if it were a 9-6 job. You MUST MUST MUST try to keep a balanced life between school and friends. If you don't, you'll go nuts.

As for workload, I'd say reading for 3-4 hours per day is normal. About 10-12 pages per class plus any supplements you choose to read (I highly recommend the E&E series). Once you get in the groove that number will go down.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LawDawg2012

New

Post by LawDawg2012 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:13 am

ppa840 wrote:
LawDawg2012 wrote:

The Cotton Exchange is a great place to live. Look into Waterford Apts and Whistlebury Walk.

Good call on Waterford and Whistlebury. Both are great places downtown.

LawDawg2012

New

Post by LawDawg2012 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:10 pm

Bump

mkirk3

New

Post by mkirk3 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:24 pm

Do yall usually study in the library or at your apartments? Of course it depends on personal preference, but I can go either way. I guess what I'm asking is if there are some complexes we should avoid due to a large concentration of loud and less academically-focused undergrads should we decide to study in our apartments? Not that I need deathly silence, but for the past year I've lived under a bunch of overweight, hard-partying techo guys that make it hard to study where I live. Apartment noise ratings online are pretty unreliable, so I'm hoping for a personal perspective, though I'm aware you and your friends live in a limited number of places. Thanks!

shawty18ga

Bronze

Post by shawty18ga » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:18 pm

LawDawg2012 wrote:

What makes you say that things have gotten better and are still improving? I hope you're right, because it's good news. Just wondering what makes you say this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thekingiv

New

Post by thekingiv » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:40 am

LawDawg2012 wrote:
tarheel87 wrote:

LawDawg,

On #5, can you compare the UGA Law education to Ga. State? Aren't they about the same price?

cake

New

Post by cake » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:52 am

LawDawg2012 wrote:Also, about 1 out of every 4 1Ls are participating in our international externship program. The school provides a $1000 stipend to the first 30 students who sign up. Last year students worked all over the place including China, Germany, South America, and the Nova Scotia Supreme Court.
$1500.
mkirk3 wrote:Do yall usually study in the library or at your apartments? Of course it depends on personal preference, but I can go either way. I guess what I'm asking is if there are some complexes we should avoid due to a large concentration of loud and less academically-focused undergrads should we decide to study in our apartments? Not that I need deathly silence, but for the past year I've lived under a bunch of overweight, hard-partying techo guys that make it hard to study where I live. Apartment noise ratings online are pretty unreliable, so I'm hoping for a personal perspective, though I'm aware you and your friends live in a limited number of places. Thanks!
I study in my apartment, but if you need a quiet environment, the Annex of the library (separate building) is a quiet zone. I've gotten dirty looks for the quietest sounds. There are also plenty of other places on and off campus to study.
thekingiv wrote:On #5, can you compare the UGA Law education to Ga. State? Aren't they about the same price?
State has cheaper tuition, but the cost of living in Athens pretty much evens things out. The practicing attorneys I know regard UGA much higher than State and generally would pick the UGA student over the State student, if all else were equal.

LawDawg2012

New

Post by LawDawg2012 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:20 pm

shawty18ga wrote:
LawDawg2012 wrote:

What makes you say that things have gotten better and are still improving? I hope you're right, because it's good news. Just wondering what makes you say this.

The main thing I was referring to was the overall improvement in the economy, which indirectly leads to more legal work. The firms that I've talked to also say that they have plenty work and are looking to hire new associates. Nothing specific, but just a general overall improvement.

Thanks!

LawDawg2012

New

Post by LawDawg2012 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:22 pm

cake wrote:
LawDawg2012 wrote:Also, about 1 out of every 4 1Ls are participating in our international externship program. The school provides a $1000 stipend to the first 30 students who sign up. Last year students worked all over the place including China, Germany, South America, and the Nova Scotia Supreme Court.
$1500.
mkirk3 wrote:Do yall usually study in the library or at your apartments? Of course it depends on personal preference, but I can go either way. I guess what I'm asking is if there are some complexes we should avoid due to a large concentration of loud and less academically-focused undergrads should we decide to study in our apartments? Not that I need deathly silence, but for the past year I've lived under a bunch of overweight, hard-partying techo guys that make it hard to study where I live. Apartment noise ratings online are pretty unreliable, so I'm hoping for a personal perspective, though I'm aware you and your friends live in a limited number of places. Thanks!
I study in my apartment, but if you need a quiet environment, the Annex of the library (separate building) is a quiet zone. I've gotten dirty looks for the quietest sounds. There are also plenty of other places on and off campus to study.
thekingiv wrote:On #5, can you compare the UGA Law education to Ga. State? Aren't they about the same price?
State has cheaper tuition, but the cost of living in Athens pretty much evens things out. The practicing attorneys I know regard UGA much higher than State and generally would pick the UGA student over the State student, if all else were equal.

Thanks cake. You're spot on.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LawDawg2012

New

Post by LawDawg2012 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:22 pm

Bump...

Thomas Sutpen

New

Post by Thomas Sutpen » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:47 pm

How's the school feeling about breaking into the top 30? I noticed that UGA did a 10 point swing on Alabama from last year, getting ranked at #28.

dawgs139

New

Post by dawgs139 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:51 pm

What are the lawdawg's favorite nightspots? Are you a roadhouse/centro/ga bar type or a generals/bourbon st type or a allgood/OTR man? :twisted:

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:58 pm

My big decision right now is trying to decide between UGA and UNC. I'm from North Carolina, but just about every source I've consulted says it's not hard to get in-state status in GA after 1L, so costs including living expenses, etc., actually average out to be about the same in between the two schools. I've found a lot of reasons to prefer UGA (smaller student:teacher ratio and better employment stats, for example), but there are a few more things I haven't managed to find on the internet.

1) I've heard not-so-good things about UNC's facilities, e.g. that they're too small for the number of students and that they're kind of just blah. What would you guys say about the facilities/crampedness at UGA?

2) How do you generally feel about the faculty? Are professors accessible?

3) How is parking? I've heard it's a nightmare at some bigger schools.

4) How well mobile is a UGA degree in case I decide not to work in Georgia? I may, for example, want to work in NC (where I grew up) VA (where I went to undergrad), or DC (because it's DC. Duh.). Is there a decent network in DC?

5) What is the school's political leaning? Athens'? Atlanta's?

6) I think one person's already answered this, but I'd like some other accounts: how's the competitiveness/are students pretty helpful and friendly with each other?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”