Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard. Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
uofmstanfordharvard

New

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Post by uofmstanfordharvard » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:33 am

Do you recommend Harvard for anyone who is interested in pursuing a law career in intellectual property?

Thanks!

The Real Jack McCoy

Bronze

Post by The Real Jack McCoy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:56 am

Bump.

Can anyone shed light on this Sandel TA business (asked about 10 pages back)? I assume the poster had heard that Sandel sometimes takes on law students to run discussion sections etc.

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:16 am

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:Bump.

Can anyone shed light on this Sandel TA business (asked about 10 pages back)? I assume the poster had heard that Sandel sometimes takes on law students to run discussion sections etc.
I took Sandel's class (Harvard undergrad here), and it's definitely true. In fact, my TA for discussion section was a law student. The class is massive and has TA's from a bunch of grad programs, including the law school. I'm not exactly sure how the recruiting is done, but I imagine they just post the job to Harvard's internal job listings website.

Also, my TA was quite awful, so I can't imagine Sandel's standards are too high, at least in terms of teaching ability or people skills. He has to pull together dozens of TA's in a relatively short time, so it's not surprising.

The Real Jack McCoy

Bronze

Post by The Real Jack McCoy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:22 pm

tgir wrote:

I took Sandel's class (Harvard undergrad here), and it's definitely true. In fact, my TA for discussion section was a law student. The class is massive and has TA's from a bunch of grad programs, including the law school. I'm not exactly sure how the recruiting is done, but I imagine they just post the job to Harvard's internal job listings website.

Also, my TA was quite awful, so I can't imagine Sandel's standards are too high, at least in terms of teaching ability or people skills. He has to pull together dozens of TA's in a relatively short time, so it's not surprising.
Thanks! Sorry to hear about the awful TA, though.

Anyone with any insight on what the TA packages look like? And how difficult it is to TA with a law student schedule?

Finally, thanks Mallard for a very informative thread.

hdivschool

Bronze

Post by hdivschool » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:24 pm

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:
tgir wrote:

Thanks! Sorry to hear about the awful TA, though.

Anyone with any insight on what the TA packages look like? And how difficult it is to TA with a law student schedule?

Finally, thanks Mallard for a very informative thread.
About $8,500 for two sections. It's about 10 hours of work a week, plus large chunks of time for grading.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legalmo

New

Post by legalmo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:23 pm

Sorry if this has been asked already. Regarding financial aid: I notice other comparable schools provide a mix of need/merit based aid, whereas HYS seems to only provide need-based. If one were insignificant need, how much would they get from H? I know its law school and debt is kind of expected, but I'm just curious to know how it would compare to other schools.

Or is there a trade off between money and prestige at H versus more money at NYU (for example, completely hypothetical)?

Edit: That sounded kind of general, I wanted to know if any HLS students could speak to this personally/anecdotally. Thanks!

LawTalkingGuy

New

Post by LawTalkingGuy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:53 am

uofmstanfordharvard wrote:Do you recommend Harvard for anyone who is interested in pursuing a law career in intellectual property?

Thanks!
I'm also interested in IP at Harvard. Does anyone have any experience with the curriculum/professors/IP job prospects they could share?

lawpuppy

New

Post by lawpuppy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:03 pm

legalmo wrote:Sorry if this has been asked already. Regarding financial aid: I notice other comparable schools provide a mix of need/merit based aid, whereas HYS seems to only provide need-based. If one were insignificant need, how much would they get from H? I know its law school and debt is kind of expected, but I'm just curious to know how it would compare to other schools.

Or is there a trade off between money and prestige at H versus more money at NYU (for example, completely hypothetical)?

Edit: That sounded kind of general, I wanted to know if any HLS students could speak to this personally/anecdotally. Thanks!
This depends on what you mean by "insignificant need". HLS considers you need-worthy if your parents make up to 180k and you have a sibling in college, which is probably not what many people would expect. If you truly are of insignificant need, ie, your parents make around that amount and you have no sibling in college or something of that nature, you'll not receive anything.

The money at NYU vs. nothing at HLS is a difficult question and I don't think anyone can give you an objectively accurate answer. It depends greatly on what you want to pursue, what the legal market is going to look like when you graduate, and how much money NYU is offering. I also don't know anything about the NYU LRAP, but HLS' LRAP is top-notch, and thus the larger loans may not result in larger payments than what you would pay for NYU. My feeling is that HLS, and HYS generally open a variety of doors that NYU doesn't, but if there's a very specific career path you have in mind, NYU could theoretically be a better option. Again, it all relies on the details of the situation, and keep in mind you're asking this in the Harvard thread, so there's that bias going on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”