USC GOULD CLASS OF 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
capt_slow

Bronze

Re: USC GOULD CLASS OF 2017

Post by capt_slow » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:52 pm

By USNWR whores do you mean people that want real jobs?

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:21 pm

deputydog wrote:
Captain Rodeo wrote:
deputydog wrote:
Captain Rodeo wrote:

Not true.

I spoke to people who rejected T-5 schools to come to USC. And personally, though I withdrew before decisons, I likely would have got into a couple of T-14s I applied to, but would have gone with USC.

Not everyone whores their self out to USNWR.
lol

Ya-
I'll admit lol- but it wasn't YHS (obvi).

Anyway- where are you planning on going deputydog?
No idea yet. There are a lot of moving parts and I'm still waiting on money from some places.

Gotcha. Well good luck! I LOVE SoA btw. I get gear b/c our family friend is retired LAPD and works on the show. You from California?

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:25 pm

SoA rules. I'm not from California, but I'm west coast. I spend a lot of time there because of family. I have fairly strong ties to ca

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:26 pm

capt_slow wrote:By USNWR whores do you mean people that want real jobs?

capt_slow, you're living up to your name. I think we know what I meant, and it wasn't that.

Rankings are important and have merit, but other considerations should go into picking a school besides rank, when we're choosing between competing schools. Some schools obviously have more horsepower than other schools, and can be chosen soley on basis of rank. If one is choosing between, let's say Vanderbilt and USC, a decision based soley on rank (and not one's regional preference) could prove unwise.

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:32 pm

deputydog wrote:SoA rules. I'm not from California, but I'm west coast. I spend a lot of time there because of family. I have fairly strong ties to ca

Such an amazing show. Amazon prime took a small piece if my life when I watched all the episodes back to back. Worth it. And ok- let us know how you do!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

capt_slow

Bronze

Post by capt_slow » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:43 pm

Woah, way to bring my name into it... You sir were comparing USC to the T14 and not vandy, that is the point I was making. Have fun in south central.

capt_slow

Bronze

Post by capt_slow » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:48 pm

And of course it is stupid to make a decision based solely on ranking... But there is a clear line when a higher ranked school is better from an employment standpoint, take NYU v. USC for example. So who cares that one is #6 and the other is #17 or wherever USC is these days. Even if a prospective student chose because of rank, he made the right decision. Furthermore, in most cases, rank relates to positive employment outcomes, so there are worse ways to choose which school to attend.

Where it becomes of less value is when the schools are in the same peer group, i.e. vandy/ucla/ut. Then it becomes a question of where you want to practice and which school has an atmosphere that you prefer.

HTH

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:54 pm

capt_slow wrote:And of course it is stupid to make a decision based solely on ranking... But there is a clear line when a higher ranked school is better from an employment standpoint, take NYU v. USC for example. So who cares that one is #6 and the other is #17 or wherever USC is these days. Even if a prospective student chose because of rank, he made the right decision. Furthermore, in most cases, rank relates to positive employment outcomes, so there are worse ways to choose which school to attend.

Where it becomes of less value is when the schools are in the same peer group, i.e. vandy/ucla/ut. Then it becomes a question of where you want to practice and which school has an atmosphere that you prefer.

HTH
I didn't know Vandy's rank so the T-14 comparison still stands- make it USC vs. non-T5 T14 then. I just wrote a school that came to mind. Seems that we're likely on the same page regardless.

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:55 pm

capt_slow wrote:Woah, way to bring my name into it... You sir were comparing USC to the T14 and not vandy, that is the point I was making. Have fun in south central.

Oh and sorry for being a d*ck. I thought you were being sarcastic, but if you were honestly wondering what I meant, then my bad

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:34 pm

capt_slow wrote:And of course it is stupid to make a decision based solely on ranking... But there is a clear line when a higher ranked school is better from an employment standpoint, take NYU v. USC for example. So who cares that one is #6 and the other is #17 or wherever USC is these days. Even if a prospective student chose because of rank, he made the right decision. Furthermore, in most cases, rank relates to positive employment outcomes, so there are worse ways to choose which school to attend.

HTH

He is trying to sugget vandy/UCLA/UT >>> USC.. It's actually Vandy/UCLA/UT/USC.. Peer schools. One bad year doesnt change anything. Just two years ago USC had the best numbers by far ahead of all three them.

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:51 pm

and I forgot to mention USC has higher median salary than UCLA/Vandy/texas pretty much every year for the last 7-8 years when they have been keeping these detailed employed stats.

xJD2017x

Bronze

Post by xJD2017x » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:12 pm

Capt slow is obviously slow.. No one will go to USC over Y/H/S/C/C and so on.

whyhellotherelaw

New

Post by whyhellotherelaw » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 pm

Can someone chime in on the language of the seat deposit incentive email?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

srslyp

New

Post by srslyp » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:01 pm

capt_slow wrote:Have fun in south central.
Dick alert.

USC places just as well as UCLA at the big firms in LA, and perhaps slightly better in clerkships. Maybe this will help you out. --LinkRemoved--

As for being HTH, you're basically telling people that they should choose based on rankings because, generally, they correlate with better employment. You've been on these forums far longer than I have and so should know that USNWR uses employment as a very small part of their overall calculations. Your advice would lead someone to think that Emory and GW are just as good as USC, though that is clearly not the case, at least employment wise.

Edit: Btw, USC's location is better than UCLA's. Westwood and the parts of LA that it is regionally connected to (West LA, Santa Monica) are boring and near USC (downtown) is where all the neat new places are. So, your slight based on location fizzles.
Last edited by srslyp on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

srslyp

New

Post by srslyp » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:15 pm

whyhellotherelaw wrote:Can someone chime in on the language of the seat deposit incentive email?
"As deposit deadlines at many law schools are now approaching, we would like to begin finalizing the USC Gould Class of 2017. To help us do so, we encourage you to submit your seat deposit as soon as you have made the decision that USC Gould is the place you want to be. As an additional incentive, if you submit your first seat deposit of $500.00 no later than 5:00pm PDT on Friday, April 4, 2014, we will offer you an additional scholarship of $2,000 for the first year. This additional scholarship will be automatically credited to any existing scholarship upon receipt of your deposit..."

capt_slow

Bronze

Post by capt_slow » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:49 am

You guys need to learn how to relax...

capt_slow

Bronze

Post by capt_slow » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:53 am

srslyp wrote:
capt_slow wrote:Have fun in south central.
Dick alert.

USC places just as well as UCLA at the big firms in LA, and perhaps slightly better in clerkships. Maybe this will help you out. --LinkRemoved--

As for being HTH, you're basically telling people that they should choose based on rankings because, generally, they correlate with better employment. You've been on these forums far longer than I have and so should know that USNWR uses employment as a very small part of their overall calculations. Your advice would lead someone to think that Emory and GW are just as good as USC, though that is clearly not the case, at least employment wise.

Edit: Btw, USC's location is better than UCLA's. Westwood and the parts of LA that it is regionally connected to (West LA, Santa Monica) are boring and near USC (downtown) is where all the neat new places are. So, your slight based on location fizzles.
How was I being a dick? Isn't USC in south-central Los Angeles? Is that a bad thing? I was under the impression that south-central is quite the art and culture center, am I miss informed? Why is everyone so mean?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

srslyp

New

Post by srslyp » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:56 pm

capt_slow wrote: How was I being a dick? Isn't USC in south-central Los Angeles? Is that a bad thing? I was under the impression that south-central is quite the art and culture center, am I miss informed? Why is everyone so mean?
Lol. You're right, capt_slow. I hand you a virtual tissue.

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:18 pm

srslyp wrote:
capt_slow wrote: How was I being a dick? Isn't USC in south-central Los Angeles? Is that a bad thing? I was under the impression that south-central is quite the art and culture center, am I miss informed? Why is everyone so mean?
Lol. You're right, capt_slow. I hand you a virtual tissue.

Srslyp,

I lol'd.

Please come to USC.
Last edited by Captain Rodeo on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:22 pm

The butthurt in this thread is palpable. The crux of what capt was saying is T14 has way better employment numbers so go there. If choosing between peer schools go where you want to practice. All of that was sound advice. And GW/Emory are vastly superior decisions to USC/UCLA if you want to practice in DC/South. Literally the first thing he staryed out with is "it is stupid to make a decision based solely on ranking".

USC is still very much in the running for me and it's a great school for the west coast, but the USC dickriders need to chill out and put down the kool aid.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:24 pm

zman wrote:

HTH

He is trying to sugget vandy/UCLA/UT >>> USC.. It's actually Vandy/UCLA/UT/USC.. Peer schools. One bad year doesnt change anything. Just two years ago USC had the best numbers by far ahead of all three them.
He, quite literally, did not make that point or suggestion.

I would be willing to bet my right nut (my more favorite of the two) that capt considers USC to be virtually the same school as ucla. Bros, go to whichever one is cheaper.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:01 pm

deputydog wrote:
zman wrote:

HTH

I would be willing to bet my right nut (my more favorite of the two) that capt considers USC to be virtually the same school as ucla. Bros, go to whichever one is cheaper.
He is going to H/Y/S so he must know everything...

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:09 pm

zman wrote:
deputydog wrote:
zman wrote:

HTH

He is going to H/Y/S so he must know everything...

No he isn't

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:46 pm

deputydog wrote: Bros, go to whichever one is cheaper.

capt_slow

Bronze

Post by capt_slow » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:57 pm

Captain Rodeo wrote:
deputydog wrote: Bros, go to whichever one is cheaper.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”