NYU Class of 2017 - Basically graduated Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
ejan1621

New

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Post by ejan1621 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:12 pm

cotiger wrote:
Nooblarzlarz wrote:I read somewhere on the NYU site (although now I can't find it, of course) that 2/3 of 1Ls spend their first year in the NYU dorms. Is that correct? Are there any glaring advantages or disadvantages to doing so?
The big advantage is that you don't have to look for housing on your own. The major drawbacks are that it's going to be more expensive relative to other housing you might find, and you have to deal with NYU housing, including hassles/insults to your adulthood such as having to go to the office to get a guest pass for overnight visitors and having to sleep in a twin size bed.
Joining this thread too! Didn't know any of these existed until today. I live in NYC, have lived here all my life besides college, happy to answer any questions about it.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:20 pm

Nooblarzlarz wrote:I read somewhere on the NYU site (although now I can't find it, of course) that 2/3 of 1Ls spend their first year in the NYU dorms. Is that correct? Are there any glaring advantages or disadvantages to doing so?
Advantages:
1. You're close to campus.
2. It's easy to get it.
3. You live in an awesome part of the city.

Disadvantages:
1. You're an adult who is sleeping in a twin bed.
2. You're an adult who lives in a dorm.
3. It's kind of expensive for what it is.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:22 pm

I also want to add that with the 2 apartments that I found in NYC, I moved into one of them 3 days after I saw it for the first time and I moved into the other one about 10 days after I saw it for the first time. Brokers won't talk to you until you're less than a month away from moving and the fewer bedrooms, the fewer the number of brokers who will talk to you.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:34 pm

Checking in! Thanks for all the info on housing, everyone, it'll be super helpful if I end up settling on NYU.

chicky

New

Post by chicky » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:42 pm

Checking in! Got the good news last week, really excited.

Anyone else apply for RTK?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ejan1621

New

Post by ejan1621 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:09 pm

chicky wrote:Checking in! Got the good news last week, really excited.

I applied for Furman Academic Scholars, not RTK - anyone else for that one?

alinor

New

Post by alinor » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:28 pm

Checking in as well! Got in last Monday by phone and was kind of in disbelief until I got the letter in the mail.

leezabee

New

Post by leezabee » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:15 pm

RTK here. Crossing my fingers hard.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:34 pm

leezabee wrote:

RTK here. Crossing my fingers hard.
Also RTK

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Howl

Bronze

Post by Howl » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:36 pm

First time posting in this subforum and so excited to check in here! :)

Anyone else apply for the IILJ?

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:09 am

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:19 pm

Just got the call! What a nice way to start the cycle.

pokemonsters

Bronze

Post by pokemonsters » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Just got the call! Very excited.

I signed up for one of the admitted students day. Do we have to take care of our own expenses for transportation / lodging / meals, or do they provide some kind of reimbursement?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alinor

New

Post by alinor » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:36 pm

pokemonsters wrote:Just got the call! Very excited.

I signed up for one of the admitted students day. Do we have to take care of our own expenses for transportation / lodging / meals, or do they provide some kind of reimbursement?
I didn't see anything on the accepted student's site, but I found this thread from last year.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=200592

It looks like NYU didn't provide a stipend. Maybe they will this year.

NYC-WVU

Bronze

Post by NYC-WVU » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Are NYU students no longer considering Jersey City as a housing option? I know some relatively recent graduates that indicated many students lived there a few years ago. I don't think that would be the option for me, but I was wondering because it wasn't listed on the poll.

NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal

New

Post by NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:30 pm

jingosaur wrote:
Advantages:
1. You're close to campus.
2. It's easy to get it.
3. You live in an awesome part of the city.

Disadvantages:
1. You're an adult who is sleeping in a twin bed.
2. You're an adult who lives in a dorm.
3. It's kind of expensive for what it is.
This is a perfect summation. Also, speaking from experience, I find the NYU dorms to be a bit sterile. Some people like that though.

NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal

New

Post by NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:53 pm

twobitrye wrote:Can't believe I get to check in here, but here I am. Thank you smaller applicant pool.

Thanks to everyone providing housing suggestions. As another midwesterner, apartment hunting in NYC is a daunting process. In general, how much would you budget for a one bedroom apartment in these neighborhoods that have been mentioned? I'm looking up the info online too, but I'm curious what numbers you all would ballpark.
Depending on the apt square footage and the overall quality of the building, anywhere from $800 (CHEAP!) to $2000 a month. It's cheaper out in Brooklyn, especially in the East Williamsburg/Bushwick area.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal

New

Post by NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:54 pm

NYC-WVU wrote:Are NYU students no longer considering Jersey City as a housing option? I know some relatively recent graduates that indicated many students lived there a few years ago. I don't think that would be the option for me, but I was wondering because it wasn't listed on the poll.

The only people I know who have done this are actually from Jersey. But I didn't know too many law students when I was in UG.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:59 pm

NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal wrote:
twobitrye wrote:Can't believe I get to check in here, but here I am. Thank you smaller applicant pool.

Thanks to everyone providing housing suggestions. As another midwesterner, apartment hunting in NYC is a daunting process. In general, how much would you budget for a one bedroom apartment in these neighborhoods that have been mentioned? I'm looking up the info online too, but I'm curious what numbers you all would ballpark.
Depending on the apt square footage and the overall quality of the building, anywhere from $800 (CHEAP!) to $2000 a month. It's cheaper out in Brooklyn, especially in the East Williamsburg/Bushwick area.
I've got to second the Bushwick suggestion, especially if you're on a budget. I pay $775/mo for my share of a legitimately large, recently renovated 3BR. Manhattan digs are going to be significantly pricier, as well as more cramped and dingy.

It's an awesome area with tons of great bars and plenty of restaurants. It has a lot of young people, but also a lot of families, which gives it a much nicer laidback neighborhood-y feel compared to the constant intensity of Manhattan. I'm right next to both the L and the M, which will take you pretty much anywhere you want to go.

The major drawback is the commute to NYU, which is about 30 minutes. That being said, the M is an elevated train, which is muuuuch nicer than being underground. Also, remember that a 30 min commute on the train is nothing like a 30 minute commute driving a car because you can read or relax or do whatever you want to do rather than having to focus on the road.

If I end up at NYU, I'll probably go for something in the East Village for 1L just to change things up/be within walking distance of school. However, the western half of Bushwick is definitely a good option, especially for someone who is particularly cost conscious or looking for a more neighborhood type of feeling.

NYC-WVU

Bronze

Post by NYC-WVU » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:58 am

cotiger wrote:That being said, the M is an elevated train, which is muuuuch nicer than being underground. Also, remember that a 30 min commute on the train is nothing like a 30 minute commute driving a car because you can read or relax or do whatever you want to do rather than having to focus on the road.
I rode the MTA all through high school and several years after undergrad, and I never considered the idea that the elevated trains are nicer. It may be true for lots of people, but for me, the train is the train. I usually just thought about how cold it was standing on the platform. I will admit, though, that the ride over the Williamsburg bridge is one of the best views of Manhattan in the whole city.

With respect to your comment about the type of commute, I think this is a great point that most people don't consider. Sitting on the train with a book for 30 mins (best), vs. walking through the city with music in your ears for 30 mins (decent), vs. standing like a sardine on a train that's too crowded to even look at your phone for 30 mins are totally different commutes. Before settling on a place, I would strongly suggest experiencing the commute around the actual time that you'll be making it when you're a student. If it's anything like it was a few years ago, getting on the L at Bedford in the morning is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal

New

Post by NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:04 pm

NYC-WVU wrote:
cotiger wrote:That being said, the M is an elevated train, which is muuuuch nicer than being underground. Also, remember that a 30 min commute on the train is nothing like a 30 minute commute driving a car because you can read or relax or do whatever you want to do rather than having to focus on the road.
I rode the MTA all through high school and several years after undergrad, and I never considered the idea that the elevated trains are nicer. It may be true for lots of people, but for me, the train is the train. I usually just thought about how cold it was standing on the platform. I will admit, though, that the ride over the Williamsburg bridge is one of the best views of Manhattan in the whole city.

With respect to your comment about the type of commute, I think this is a great point that most people don't consider. Sitting on the train with a book for 30 mins (best), vs. walking through the city with music in your ears for 30 mins (decent), vs. standing like a sardine on a train that's too crowded to even look at your phone for 30 mins are totally different commutes. Before settling on a place, I would strongly suggest experiencing the commute around the actual time that you'll be making it when you're a student. If it's anything like it was a few years ago, getting on the L at Bedford in the morning is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Agreed. I would add support to the above-ground train argument though, if only for the sake of the views (anything is better than those tunnels) and for the ability to make phone calls/stream music.

In terms of the busy commute, just about any train going into (AM) or out of (PM) Manhattan during the weekday rush hour is going to get jam packed. Just part of living in the city.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:08 pm

NYC-WVU wrote:

For me, it's the sunlight. I feel more like a person and less like a sewer-dweller lol. The ability to use your phone is also nice. As for the cold, I just stay inside in the fare control area until the train comes and only then go up to the platform.

Agreed that the L can be a beast. Also, having only two tracks makes maintenance work the worst.

Anyway, for non-NYC residents:
One of New Yorkers' favorite pastimes is to talk about the minutiae of the differences between neighborhoods/trains/blocks. Don't let that overwhelm or intimidate you--they really are just small details. Any of the neighborhoods that have been mentioned here would be a good place to live. The most important things to consider when considering which neighborhoods to look for a place in are price and commute (use google maps!). Once you've used that to narrow it down to a few options, it's really just a subjective feeling of where feels best to you, and you can only really figure that out by visiting.

NYC-WVU

Bronze

Post by NYC-WVU » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:12 pm

cotiger wrote:
NYC-WVU wrote:

For me, it's the sunlight. I feel more like a person and less like a sewer-dweller lol. The ability to use your phone is also nice. As for the cold, I just stay inside in the fare control area until the train comes and only then go up to the platform.

Agreed that the L can be a beast. Also, having only two tracks makes maintenance work the worst.

Anyway, for non-NYC residents:
One of New Yorkers' favorite pastimes is to talk about the minutiae of the differences between neighborhoods/trains/blocks. Don't let that overwhelm or intimidate you--they really are just small details. Any of the neighborhoods that have been mentioned here would be a good place to live. The most important things to consider when considering which neighborhoods to look for a place in are price and commute (use google maps!). Once you've used that to narrow it down to a few options, it's really just a subjective feeling of where feels best to you, and you can only really figure that out by visiting.
I concede that above-ground is better. Cell phone ability is the winning argument. I had not considered this. Being underground might be in my blood. I grew up in the city, and my roots are from coal-mining towns in WV.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:54 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:09 pm

Locals: there's been lots of awesome advice here, but it's a little tough to sort and parse. If you wouldn't mind... How much should I realistically expect to spend for a 1 bedroom large enough for two people, in a relatively safe neighborhood with a 30 min or less commute to NYU?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”