Harvard Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
9%
Section 2
16%
Section 3
11%
Section 4
9%
Section 5
27%
Section 6
11%
Section 7
17%

Total votes: 75

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:05 pm

kershka wrote:
jingosaur wrote:I'm definitely leaning more and more towards Harvard every day, but +1 to waiting until there's a better financial picture. It's still really early in the admissions cycle. Most people haven't even applied yet. Personally, I haven't even heard back from half of the schools that I applied to and I'm also on a wait list (in December which is crazy) for one of my top choices.
Woah, what? Was it an ED or Duke's PT or something similar? Why would a school waitlist this early?

But +1 to waiting for financial aid decisions.
If I am not mistaken jingosaur is waitlisted at Wharton. I only know this because I'm curious to see how dual applicants are handled in the admissions process.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:42 pm

I'm 99.9% on Harvard but I'm still waiting to send in the intent form. I figure I'll send it sometime after ASW and my scholarship info comes in.

2x2Matrix

Bronze

Post by 2x2Matrix » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:17 pm

I thought I read somewhere on these forums that if one holds off on committing, HLS will keep sending them stuff in the mail? Is this true?

NapoleonXV

Bronze

Post by NapoleonXV » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:41 pm

2x2Matrix wrote:I thought I read somewhere on these forums that if one holds off on committing, HLS will keep sending them stuff in the mail? Is this true?
Yeah I read that they would send signed books related to your academic interest, but I am not sure about that.

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:11 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
kershka wrote:
jingosaur wrote:I'm definitely leaning more and more towards Harvard every day, but +1 to waiting until there's a better financial picture. It's still really early in the admissions cycle. Most people haven't even applied yet. Personally, I haven't even heard back from half of the schools that I applied to and I'm also on a wait list (in December which is crazy) for one of my top choices.
Woah, what? Was it an ED or Duke's PT or something similar? Why would a school waitlist this early?

But +1 to waiting for financial aid decisions.
If I am not mistaken jingosaur is waitlisted at Wharton. I only know this because I'm curious to see how dual applicants are handled in the admissions process.
I am pretty sure it is a waitlist at Penn law and not Wharton. Could be wrong though hth.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:24 pm

The-Specs wrote:
I am pretty sure it is a waitlist at Penn law and not Wharton. Could be wrong though hth.
Wait list at both :(

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:47 pm

HorseThief wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Has anyone submit their attendance notice yet? Is there any reason why one should or should not submit it if they are 99.9% certain this is the school they want to attend?

Also, I want to let them know I plan on attending, but I sort of want to leave a couple applications open, in case my financial aid package ends up being terrible. The form makes it sound like you should withdraw your other apps, but the lines where you can list open applications makes it seem like maybe it's okay to leave a couple open, as long as you disclose..? Anyone have any idea what the protocol is here?
I sent it in, and kinda wish I hadn't. I'm also waiting on finaid, but will probably end up at HLS. However, their e-mails since I sent it in have made it sound like I'm definitely going there next year. I think it's just going to make it more difficult to withdraw later if that's what I need to do.
Did you withdraw the rest of your apps?

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:39 pm

Got my packet! :D

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:39 pm

If anybody is applying to or accepted by the JD/MBA program or is considering doing it, please comment or PM your thought process. I've had this huge internal debate about whether or not I should pursue it. I feel like a JD from Harvard will be enough, but I'm about 99.9% sure I'm doing corporate law and I want to eventually get involved in heavy finance so the MBA kind of makes sense. Any advice would be appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HarvardHopeful

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:42 pm

The-Specs wrote:
Poison wrote:Are there any Boston locals who can recommend a good cell phone carrier? I'll be moving to the area from Europe and will be picking up a new phone/contract. I would expect Verizon > ATT > T-Mobile. Sound right?
That is my take but I'm not from Boston.

Sounds right to me. Most people I know have Verizon. Other carriers don't really come close as far as popularity but I'm not sure if there is a difference as far as service

Edit: Also, the 3L that Danielle Early had contact me offered really good advice and answered all my questions. I definitely suggest responding to the emails and talking to the people the admissions office puts you in contact with. Now i'm even more excited about Harvard, if that was even possible :D

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:50 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Has anyone submit their attendance notice yet? Is there any reason why one should or should not submit it if they are 99.9% certain this is the school they want to attend?

Also, I want to let them know I plan on attending, but I sort of want to leave a couple applications open, in case my financial aid package ends up being terrible. The form makes it sound like you should withdraw your other apps, but the lines where you can list open applications makes it seem like maybe it's okay to leave a couple open, as long as you disclose..? Anyone have any idea what the protocol is here?
I sent it in, and kinda wish I hadn't. I'm also waiting on finaid, but will probably end up at HLS. However, their e-mails since I sent it in have made it sound like I'm definitely going there next year. I think it's just going to make it more difficult to withdraw later if that's what I need to do.
Did you withdraw the rest of your apps?
No, because they had the wording about 'letting them know about the outstanding apps'. I'm about 95% sure I'll end up at HLS right now, so I don't see a reason to talk to them about the statement of intent. I'll see what happens with my UM Darrow interview and Yale, then take some sort of action.

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:49 pm

jingosaur wrote:If anybody is applying to or accepted by the JD/MBA program or is considering doing it, please comment or PM your thought process. I've had this huge internal debate about whether or not I should pursue it. I feel like a JD from Harvard will be enough, but I'm about 99.9% sure I'm doing corporate law and I want to eventually get involved in heavy finance so the MBA kind of makes sense. Any advice would be appreciated.
I think we have PM'd (so many people I have had this convo with) but in case not, all the people I have spoken with in industry and in academia seem to have the same general opinion - if you're going to practice law, an MBA isn't worth it. If you're going into business, a JD can be very additive to the MBA.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:58 pm

Hey future Harvard friends, hope you all have a fun/safe new year's. Pretty easy to be excited for 2014, all we have to do is sit back and try not to screw up too badly until September so that's my resolution: Don't be an idiot for 8 months.

See y'all next year!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TakeABow94

New

Post by TakeABow94 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:25 pm

anyone in MIA, FL for NYE? apparently all the members in the FB group were added by jd admissions even though the student ambassadors are also admins, and I sent in my request while they were gone

Poison

New

Post by Poison » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:43 pm

Instinctive wrote:
jingosaur wrote:If anybody is applying to or accepted by the JD/MBA program or is considering doing it, please comment or PM your thought process. I've had this huge internal debate about whether or not I should pursue it. I feel like a JD from Harvard will be enough, but I'm about 99.9% sure I'm doing corporate law and I want to eventually get involved in heavy finance so the MBA kind of makes sense. Any advice would be appreciated.
I think we have PM'd (so many people I have had this convo with) but in case not, all the people I have spoken with in industry and in academia seem to have the same general opinion - if you're going to practice law, an MBA isn't worth it. If you're going into business, a JD can be very additive to the MBA.
I generally agree. I'll be starting the JD/MBA program this fall (prob at H, still waiting on S). I plan to do more of the entrepreneurial path than the legal path and I can justify wanting both degrees for the field(s) I want to enter. If you're planning on sticking with corporate law there are plenty of cross-registration classes available through HLS to give you a strong finance background over 3 years. Google "HLS course catalog" and you can search through the available classes already at HLS.

Side note, the HBS program is structured more as a "general management" curriculum. They're trying to train CEOs who can go in to any industry and excel. There are required finance courses, yes, but they are only part of a very broad curriculum.

Hope this helps ... PM me if you still have questions.

HarvardHopeful

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:23 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D

For those of you seriously thinking about attending, or who are already sure they are, what are you guys thinking about living on campus during 1L?

I read that Gropius got renovated last year, so they are a little nicer than what the website shows. A 3L also told me that Gropius is the easiest way to save 5k-10k in your first year if you're okay with sharing amenities(bathroom and kitchen). Also I read somewhere that North Hall is being renovated this summer. Since its a renovated hotel, it has private bathrooms, full sized beds, and shared kitchens. I'm debating on whether or not North would be worth the extra 5,000. Have any of you been looking into this as well? Any thoughts?

I know some of you have families so you would probably be looking at Harvard University Housing or an outside realtor, right?

2x2Matrix

Bronze

Post by 2x2Matrix » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:43 am

Poison wrote:
Instinctive wrote:
I generally agree. I'll be starting the JD/MBA program this fall (prob at H, still waiting on S). I plan to do more of the entrepreneurial path than the legal path and I can justify wanting both degrees for the field(s) I want to enter. If you're planning on sticking with corporate law there are plenty of cross-registration classes available through HLS to give you a strong finance background over 3 years. Google "HLS course catalog" and you can search through the available classes already at HLS.

Side note, the HBS program is structured more as a "general management" curriculum. They're trying to train CEOs who can go in to any industry and excel. There are required finance courses, yes, but they are only part of a very broad curriculum.

Hope this helps ... PM me if you still have questions.
Agree with what's been said here, esp the bold. Coming from a business background, I'm pursuing a JD to supplement my experiences. I've wrestled a lot with the thought of tacking on the MBA (everyone at work tells me to do an MBA), and I even took my GMAT just in case, but I'm going to hold off for now.

If you want to gain the know-how related to transactions and deals to support your corporate law pursuits, working in investment banking or private equity would be the best (though, painful) experience. As far as academia goes, taking the finance classes offered by HLS and taking some electives at HBS will probably do you as much good as the entire MBA.

Also happy to chat further in PM :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:23 am

HarvardHopeful wrote:HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D

For those of you seriously thinking about attending, or who are already sure they are, what are you guys thinking about living on campus during 1L?

I read that Gropius got renovated last year, so they are a little nicer than what the website shows. A 3L also told me that Gropius is the easiest way to save 5k-10k in your first year if you're okay with sharing amenities(bathroom and kitchen). Also I read somewhere that North Hall is being renovated this summer. Since its a renovated hotel, it has private bathrooms, full sized beds, and shared kitchens. I'm debating on whether or not North would be worth the extra 5,000. Have any of you been looking into this as well? Any thoughts?

I know some of you have families so you would probably be looking at Harvard University Housing or an outside realtor, right?
As a single woman, I am still considering HUH just because I don't know if I can stomach moving back into the dorms. On the other hand, North Hall doesn't look too bad and I would love to be in with all the 1Ls and it sounds like a lot of people end up directly on campus. I took the housing quiz and it said I should move into North Hall but idk still.

HUH isn't just taken by families, is it? Some of the properties look nice enough but I'd prefer some of my neighbors to be in the same stage of life as me...

And yes, North is totally worth the extra money if only for the full beds and private baths. I'm probably going to hate myself in 10 years but right now that amount of price difference doesn't seem like a big enough deterrent.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:58 am

kershka wrote:
HarvardHopeful wrote:HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D

As a single woman, I am still considering HUH just because I don't know if I can stomach moving back into the dorms. On the other hand, North Hall doesn't look too bad and I would love to be in with all the 1Ls and it sounds like a lot of people end up directly on campus. I took the housing quiz and it said I should move into North Hall but idk still.

HUH isn't just taken by families, is it? Some of the properties look nice enough but I'd prefer some of my neighbors to be in the same stage of life as me...

And yes, North is totally worth the extra money if only for the full beds and private baths. I'm probably going to hate myself in 10 years but right now that amount of price difference doesn't seem like a big enough deterrent.
It's definitely worth the extra money. You're going to professional school. Professionals don't sleep in twin beds.

The housing quiz told me HUH was the best choice, but it would be a little too expensive without roommates.

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:10 am

jingosaur wrote: It's definitely worth the extra money. You're going to professional school. Professionals don't sleep in twin beds.

The housing quiz told me HUH was the best choice, but it would be a little too expensive without roommates.
That's my problem, too. I want to live in HUH but its so pricey without roommates and I don't know if I want to take a chance during 1L with people that I've never met. With my luck, I'd wind up with someone who likes to party late into the night before every one of my exam days. At this point, I'm hoping to meet some awesome people at ASW or on the facebook page because those rent prices are daunting :shock:

What I would like are the HLS On-Campus apartments. There are so few and I don't think they ever go to 1Ls but either 3 Mellen Street or Mass Ave look great.

+1 to the professionals don't sleep in twin beds, as well. In my entire life, I have never slept in a twin bed except during my scarring freshman year of UG and I don't see LS changing that habit.

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:35 am

I think I'm going to try to find an apartment in the area. I already have all of the furniture, so it seems silly to move into a dorm environment. I haven't fully weighed out the benefit to being right next to campus, but I have no problem walking to class, and I'm hoping that being slightly removed from all of the other 1L's will give me a sanctuary come exam time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HarvardHopeful

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:17 pm

The shared bathrooms isn't really what is turning me off from Gropius, its the twin beds. :cry:
I'm fluctuating between north and gropius but I definitely think i'll be living on campus my first year and then moving off campus once I meet people I would like to live with.

Saving the money by living in gropius is tempting me though.

tls2175

Bronze

Post by tls2175 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:28 pm

First of all, happy New Year! Hope everyone enjoyed the holiday.

In terms of a living situation for next year, I'm looking at off-but-near-campus housing. I also have enough furniture for an entire apartment (except for any roommates bedrooms, of course) and I would prefer to share a kitchen with someone who has the same or similar dietary restrictions as I do.

I share many of kershka's concerns re rent and roommates. I definitely want to be close to the action and community but I would also like to maintain a "sanctuary" if I ever need an escape.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:28 pm

I was out of town so I didn't open my acceptance package until last night. JS wrote the perfect note on my acceptance letter. I still don't know where I'm going to put the sticker.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:22 pm

Haven't been to my DC apartment for the past week and a half or so. Excited to go home tonight and get the packet...!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”