Judicial Appointment Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Judicial Appointment

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:43 pm

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice on here (which means I'm probs out of the running to begin with, hah) but really do appreciate any insight.
There's a spot open for a state district court in my state. I'm a new AUSA in flyover country, been one for a year, and was in regional BL for a year prior. Graduated with top third grades at decent local state U (think OSU/Indiana/IL/UMN). I'm also an adjunct at the law school and have published a few small pieces. I'm considering applying for the judgeship - it's a dream of mine to be a judge. I've done a few trials but feel like I'm certainly too green to be seriously considered for the role.

I also really love my job and am fearful of word getting around if I put my name in the ring.

Is it worth seriously enquiring about this and doing an application? Or should I stick to my current gig for the now and just see what comes later?

Anonymous User

Re: Judicial Appointment

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:43 pm
Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice on here (which means I'm probs out of the running to begin with, hah) but really do appreciate any insight.
There's a spot open for a state district court in my state. I'm a new AUSA in flyover country, been one for a year, and was in regional BL for a year prior. Graduated with top third grades at decent local state U (think OSU/Indiana/IL/UMN). I'm also an adjunct at the law school and have published a few small pieces. I'm considering applying for the judgeship - it's a dream of mine to be a judge. I've done a few trials but feel like I'm certainly too green to be seriously considered for the role.

I also really love my job and am fearful of word getting around if I put my name in the ring.

Is it worth seriously enquiring about this and doing an application? Or should I stick to my current gig for the now and just see what comes later?
Apply. You're right that you're too green to get the job, but this will get you on the radar of the stakeholders who decide who gets to be a judge, which is essential. The federal district judge I worked for consistently applied for both state and federal judicial positions for over a decade.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Hello all,

Apply. You're right that you're too green to get the job, but this will get you on the radar of the stakeholders who decide who gets to be a judge, which is essential. The federal district judge I worked for consistently applied for both state and federal judicial positions for over a decade.
Eh, I wouldn’t apply this early. In my state, the expectation for district court is 10-15 years’ experience, and I think applying after only 2 makes you look naive/arrogant (assuming I haven’t misunderstood your timeline); at least, I’d sideeye such an applicant really hard.
I agree that people often have to apply multiple times, but I don’t think that means that it makes sense to apply when you’re not a plausible candidate yet. You don’t have to be a shoo-in, but I think you should be at least plausible. So not saying that you have to wait a full 15 years or even 10, but I wouldn’t apply now. Especially for district court - if you want to start this early I think you’d be better off looking at magistrate/county/municipal positions rather than district courts (depending on how your state organizes things).

I actually have a law school classmate who became a judge within the year after our graduation, but they were a part-time county judge in a huge county with only 20k people in it (they got $25k a year to do it on top of their day job).

You definitely can get on people’s radar by applying, but I’d also recommend looking around for people who can advise you about this in the context of your state as a longer-term goal. Because even at the very local level and when judges apply (rather than run for election), who gets these positions is political - not necessarily partisan, but about who you know. (My classmate got that gig because they moved to the 14k-people county seat and started working for the previous county judge who wanted to retire.) So it’s important to get helpful people on your side, and I’d say it makes sense to do that before applying, rather than only by applying.

FWIW, I don’t see anything wrong with your qualifications, just your level of experience.

(All this is offered with the caveat that it’s based on my experience in a state where you apply for judgeships, but that your state may handle things differently so obviously ignore if my assumptions don’t apply where you are.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:38 pm

Agree with prior poster. Don’t apply after only two years, that’s absurd unless that happens from time to time in your jurisdiction for whatever reason. Do get to know the local movers and shakers in the judicial appointment process. In my state (which uses a Missouri Plan merit system) there are certain well-connected attorneys who know everyone involved and guide their favorites through the process, make introductions, etc. You will probably be a compelling candidate starting in 6-8 years or so.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Hello all,

Might be a good idea to reach out to some mentors you really trust and get their take - you may be too inexperienced now, but it's always good to keep your name in the conversation for the future and in the meanwhile, continue building your network, continue publishing, and continue being involved in the local bar/community.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”