Who are the up and coming liberal feeder judges? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Who are the up and coming liberal feeder judges?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:20 am

As Judge Tatel announced retirement recently, the old guard of feeders is slowly ending. Who are the Obama or Biden nominated candidates who will become feeders? Who is very respected or well liked? In venture capital terms, who are 'seed/series A' judges who will be the next Google?

I'm thinking someone like Srinivasan in 2015~ or Thapur in 2019~

Some candidates I've heard mentioned: Judge Wilkins (DC). Judge Perez (2nd)

Anonymous User

Re: Who are the up and coming liberal feeder judges?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:07 pm

Arun Subramanian has the resume of a future Second Circuit feeder if I've ever seen one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:20 am
As Judge Tatel announced retirement recently, the old guard of feeders is slowly ending. Who are the Obama or Biden nominated candidates who will become feeders? Who is very respected or well liked? In venture capital terms, who are 'seed/series A' judges who will be the next Google?

Wilkins and Perez will never really be feeders because they haven't tried hiring the SCOTUS-caliber/traditional clerks that most of the justices look for. Maybe KBJ will have drastically different hiring practices, and Sotomayor has always been open to a few non-traditional candidates, but otherwise, I wouldn't rank either of them highly.

More likely are Heytens and Garcia imo.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:20 am

There is not really a vacuum to fill though, less liberal justices. Also, Biden has not been selecting judges with traditional feeder credentials or connections. I would argue that feeder credentials aren't as much about the resume as they are about being connected to the elite circles, particularly in DC.

Depending on how KJB's hiring practices go, you may see more judges with a random feed or two, or the traditional feeders sending more than usual.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:38 pm

Rossman (10C) should be one, but probably won't because of regional bias.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:38 pm
Nathan (2C) for sure. Rossman (10C) should be one, but probably won't because of regional bias.
Why Rossman? On paper, her credentials don't seem like the typical SCOTUS type. Would love to learn more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:16 pm

Realistically none of them. Heytens, Nathan, and Garcia seem to have the best chance between location and connections though. Nathan’s clerks are much SCOTUSier than the other Biden CA2 judges’ and she picked up several orphaned KBJ clerks. Agree that Perez does not seem particularly interested in feeding. From what I’ve picked up Subramanian may be more likely to feed to BMK or JGR than SS or KBJ—he’s not looking for liberal activists.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:16 pm
Realistically none of them. Heytens, Nathan, and Garcia seem to have the best chance between location and connections though. Nathan’s clerks are much SCOTUSier than the other Biden CA2 judges’ and she picked up several orphaned KBJ clerks. Agree that Perez does not seem particularly interested in feeding. From what I’ve picked up Subramanian may be more likely to feed to BMK or JGR than SS or KBJ—he’s not looking for liberal activists.
Who do you think then?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Heard similar things and that's what I think gives Subramanian feeder potential. His recent batch of clerk hiring is just your standard tippy-top students with ambiguous politics—perfect SCOTUS clerks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Heard similar things and that's what I think gives Subramanian feeder potential. His recent batch of clerk hiring is just your standard tippy-top students with ambiguous politics—perfect SCOTUS clerks.
that's not really true, his 24 clerk from my school is very clearly progressive based on linkedin

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:34 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
that's not really true, his 24 clerk from my school is very clearly progressive based on linkedin
He’s also hired several clerks from Trump/Fed Soc judges though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yep, he's sort of running the gambit ideologically on clerk hiring with a keen eye towards grades which is the type of positioning you see for someone hoping to establish themselves as a feeder. I also imagine he benefits from the Susman network because they do a lot of narrowing down for him already with their summer associates and im sure he can pick ones he liked that he already worked with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:57 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yep, he's sort of running the gambit ideologically on clerk hiring with a keen eye towards grades which is the type of positioning you see for someone hoping to establish themselves as a feeder. I also imagine he benefits from the Susman network because they do a lot of narrowing down for him already with their summer associates and im sure he can pick ones he liked that he already worked with.
I'll +1 on Nathan and Subramanian for all the reasons mentioned above, and because Sotomeyor has traditionally liked the 2nd circuit. Judge Calabresi just fed last year, but he is 90 years old. Someone will eventually fill his status on the 2nd circuit with my money most likely on Nathan.

I'll add Koh to this list too. Though she's new, in her first batch of clerks, she's already fed to KBJ. Also, when she was on NDCal, she was known as the most grade sensitive judge (more than Chaabria), so I imagine her standards will only continue to rise now that she's on 9th and has fed.

Add Kruger too. Perfect resume, very young, and just like Koh, fed to KBJ. I wonder if her spotlight would increase if she made the switch to 9th circuit.

A lot of this question will depend on what sort of preferences KBJ develops.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:57 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'll +1 on Nathan and Subramanian for all the reasons mentioned above, and because Sotomeyor has traditionally liked the 2nd circuit. Judge Calabresi just fed last year, but he is 90 years old. Someone will eventually fill his status on the 2nd circuit with my money most likely on Nathan.

I'll add Koh to this list too. Though she's new, in her first batch of clerks, she's already fed to KBJ. Also, when she was on NDCal, she was known as the most grade sensitive judge (more than Chaabria), so I imagine her standards will only continue to rise now that she's on 9th and has fed.

Add Kruger too. Perfect resume, very young, and just like Koh, fed to KBJ. I wonder if her spotlight would increase if she made the switch to 9th circuit.

A lot of this question will depend on what sort of preferences KBJ develops.
On KBJ, I wonder how much her more structured hiring process (https://davidlat.substack.com/p/supreme ... -watch-321) affects who feeds to her - Lat says one feeder judge decided not to call about an applicant because the letter states “Neither applicants nor their references, recommenders, or other advocates should contact Justice Jackson or her current or former staff regarding a pending or prospective application."

Of course KBJ may scrap this requirement in the future or feeders/recommenders may still call anyways, but I could see judges that are close to her (I'm not in the know enough to have any idea who those judges are - Nathan? Jackson-Akiwumi?) not feeding to her as regularly as we might expect.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”