Joining a Bankruptcy Group After a Non-Bankruptcy Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Joining a Bankruptcy Group After a Non-Bankruptcy Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 12, 2023 4:05 pm

Clerking on one of CADC/CA2/CA9 after a year of transactional practice. I’ve had the clerkship lined up since law school; the timing is just how it happened to work out for my judge. Considering making the switch to bankruptcy litigation after the clerkship ends, having done and enjoyed a number of bankruptcy assignments during my first year.

At my firm, bankruptcy is a smaller practice and is split between transactional (which handles filing, writing the plan, etc.) and litigation (which deals with responding to creditor requests, court appearances, etc.). Because of this divide, transactional folks learn bankruptcy, and litigation folks do court-facing work but essentially leave the “meat” of the bankruptcy to the transactional side.

Is that how it works everywhere? I’m interested in becoming an academic who specializes in the field in a couple of years, so I’m trying to maximize being “in the law” of bankruptcy while minimizing the fact-specific work of running a company through bankruptcy.

Would a creditor-side practice be good for my goals? And if so, where should I consider? Will the clerkship be an impediment to potentially switching firms or to joining a bankruptcy lit group?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”