Clerkship interview, no ties to location? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Clerkship interview, no ties to location?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2023 10:48 pm

I'm interviewing next week with a district court judge in a somewhat major (non-DC/NYC) market. Aside from knowing a few people from there, I don't have many connections to the location itself. I only said in my cover letter that I, having gone to school in the region, want to return there.

If he asks why I want to clerk there, how should I answer since I don't have many ties? Should I mention the high civil litigation capacity of the district, or something more specific?

Anonymous User

Re: Clerkship interview, no ties to location?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2023 11:22 pm

Ties aren’t really like that. If you want to
be in the region because you went to school there, just say that; you don’t have to have multiple ties.

As for the district itself, high civil litigation capacity doesn’t sound very convincing to me, mostly because I think most districts have high civil litigation capacity. You could say something about wanting to clerk in a major metro because the volume of caseload will expose you to a wide range of matters or something. But if it is a major metro, they’re not that likely to need to be convinced why you want to be there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2023 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 11:22 pm
be in the region because you went to school there, just say that; you don’t have to have multiple ties.

As for the district itself, high civil litigation capacity doesn’t sound very convincing to me, mostly because I think most districts have high civil litigation capacity. You could say something about wanting to clerk in a major metro because the volume of caseload will expose you to a wide range of matters or something. But if it is a major metro, they’re not that likely to need to be convinced why you want to be there.
OP here. I went to school maybe three hours away, but it's the only real tie I have. So it might not be convincing. What would you say in my case, if you knew you were going to be asked?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2023 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 10:48 pm
I'm interviewing next week with a district court judge in a somewhat major (non-DC/NYC) market. Aside from knowing a few people from there, I don't have many connections to the location itself. I only said in my cover letter that I, having gone to school in the region, want to return there.

If he asks why I want to clerk there, how should I answer since I don't have many ties? Should I mention the high civil litigation capacity of the district, or something more specific?
One person told me he got asked this question, had no ties to mention, and just straight up said “honestly, I’m pretty much willing to clerk for an article 3 judge anywhere in this country.” Apparently it went over well. I’d rather someone say this than try to fake ties. But your answer regarding school and desire to stay in the area is good.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2023 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 11:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. I went to school maybe three hours away, but it's the only real tie I have. So it might not be convincing. What would you say in my case, if you knew you were going to be asked?
Oh, got it, I didn’t realize what you meant by region. Frankly, unless there’s anything distinctive about the court caseload, I like the suggestion above (as well as liking the region from your time in school maybe). I also think that ties tend to be more helpful for getting you pulled out of a pile, and that if the judge felt strongly that a candidate *has* to have ties, they wouldn’t have picked you to begin with. That doesn’t mean that in the end, you won’t lose out to someone who has more local ties, but I doubt, if you’ve made it to the interview, that the judge will grill you about a lack of ties.

I also agree that trying to fake/force ties isn’t very convincing. Maybe you could turn it into “I’m very excited to experience [something local],” as long as you can say that genuinely. But I’d rather see a candidate interested in the nature of the work rather than in the location.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2023 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 11:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Three hours is more than close enough for location to be your primary interest imo. That's like the same state in most of the country. Also agree that if the judge was really picky on it you wouldn't have gotten an interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 12, 2023 8:40 am

I got the same question, especially since my judge heavily values ties. I was honest that I had no ties but that I was excited for the opportunity to explore a new area of the country (and highlighted a few of the things I could do in that location), but that I had applied all over because I was prioritizing judges over locations.

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Post by Anon-non-anon » Fri May 12, 2023 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 8:40 am
I got the same question, especially since my judge heavily values ties. I was honest that I had no ties but that I was excited for the opportunity to explore a new area of the country (and highlighted a few of the things I could do in that location), but that I had applied all over because I was prioritizing judges over locations.
This seems like a good answer for a couple reasons. It's nice to get an honest answer rather than BS, and it shows you actually looked into the place and are open to new things. Just kind of strikes me as a more interesting person than giving some BS answer about the type of docket that you're pretty clearly making a post-hoc justification for.

Also got a clerkship where judge valued ties and didn't really have any, but it was near major metro and seemed to go fine (think D. Conn, DNJ, EDVA)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”