Market for Returning Clerks? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Market for Returning Clerks?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2023 4:26 pm

Anyone have any insight into the market for clerks returning to their law firms, particularly Big Law in NYC? Have any firms been declining to give return offers/rescinding return offers? TIA

moxcoal

New

Re: Market for Returning Clerks?

Post by moxcoal » Wed May 10, 2023 10:38 am

Can confirm this happened to several mid levels who I would’ve considered in it for the long run

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2023 11:22 am

Was NYC particularly bad this year? I had a rough time getting bites there and accepted in DC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2023 11:27 am

Had no problem with K&E New York letting me defer my start date to do District+COA clerkship.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Thu May 11, 2023 2:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 11:27 am
Had no problem with K&E New York letting me defer my start date to do District+COA clerkship.
The problem really concerns those who worked at a firm for 2-4 years, left to do a district court clerkship, and hope to return. It's not always guaranteed. This makes little sense to me as firms should be making enough money to throw around.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2023 4:48 pm

Sidley DC declined to take back at least two COA clerks that I know of.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2023 6:53 pm

When people are being "declined" to be taken back is there like an outstanding return offer that is revoked or is it that htey left with a wink expectation that they could reach out and get re-hired. Because I know summer associates get "deferred" offers after clerkships so a revocaiton of that feels fairly extreme, but maybe when current associates leave they lack such explicit deferred offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 12, 2023 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 6:53 pm
When people are being "declined" to be taken back is there like an outstanding return offer that is revoked or is it that htey left with a wink expectation that they could reach out and get re-hired. Because I know summer associates get "deferred" offers after clerkships so a revocaiton of that feels fairly extreme, but maybe when current associates leave they lack such explicit deferred offers.
Correct, it's the latter. I was "declined" after working as an associate and leaving to clerk. This was after multiple partners in my practice group had said things like "looking forward to your return," meeting/exceeding hours, and receiving overwhelmingly positive reviews. The firm supposedly just made the decision not to take back clerks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 12, 2023 2:02 pm

I sort of experienced the former situation with a NYC firm this year. I had an explicit return offer for after my clerkships. I asked the firm if I could transfer the offer to another office. I expected the worst possible response would be, "No, but we'd like you to come back to NYC."

Instead, they completely ignored me. It's not that they didn't receive my message. A recruiter sent me multiple emails about a recruiting event and promised to get back to me about the transfer request. Then they never did.

I'm interpreting that as a rescission of the offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”