Too late? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Too late?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2023 9:30 am

Hi. I’m wondering if it’s too late for me to clerk in a district court. A few facts:
  • I graduated from S or Y in middle of last decade.
  • Not sure where I ranked because Y/S. Definitely not great.
  • I had several d. court interviews as a 2L, but struck out. IMHO, I fucked up my interviews because of extenuating circumstances I can’t get into here. But perhaps if I had better grades, that might have compensated. I’m generally a decent interviewee, I think, based on other professional achievements, but who knows.
  • I have been working in public interest since graduation. A bit of civil litigation, several years in a field that’s more niche.
  • Because public interest, clerking for a year would not be a huge financial sacrifice and could conceivably help me “level up” to bigger/better paying public interest organizations in the future.
  • I know and have good relationships with two judges who were recently appointed by Biden, but I think they’d still be evaluating me on my merits and not just letting me coast on the relationships.
I want to clerk for a bit of a “reset” on my career, to learn more about different subject matter areas, and to experience more general litigation. Also, let’s be honest, I have some FOMO about failing to get a gold star that so many of my classmates have achieved. (I know this is a stupid reason, but I might as well let you all know so I can get honest advice.)

Anonymous User

Re: Too late?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2023 9:42 am

No reason not to give it a shot, especially with those recent appointees !

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon May 08, 2023 9:56 am

I agree. If you can find a judge who 1) likes work experience and 2) has a background in your PI niche, you could look very attractive. You will likely need to be geographically flexible. And the applications don’t take a ton of time, assuming you have people you can ask to write letters.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2023 11:32 am

Per the recent Biden appointees I wouldn't sell yourself short. This is a big connections game and having a relationship with these newer judges would probably lead them to look past grades. Also newer judges tend to want work experience (especially new district court judges). I would 100% defintely try your luck with those two more recent appointees.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”