Overlap in two clerkship dates Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Overlap in two clerkship dates

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 06, 2023 9:05 pm

I'll be clerking for the 2023-24 term and have been submitting applications for a second clerkship for 2024-25. The first position goes until the end of summer 2024. Should I not be applying for clerkships that have a start date before the end of summer 2024, or cross that bridge if I get to it?

Anonymous User

Re: Overlap in two clerkship dates

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2023 9:52 am

I'd be wary of springing that on a judge in an interview, and especially wary of bringing it up after receiving an offer. You probably have your 2023–24 clerkship on your resume, but if you do want to apply, I would additionally mention up front in your cover letter that you are applying "to follow [your] clerkship in [judge's] chambers concluding [date]." Then the ball is in the hiring judge's court.

You could also reach out to your current judge, emphasizing that you're committed to staying for the full term as you've promised, and asking for advice on whether judges may be flexible. If there are specific positions you're interested in, your judge might know from past experience (or knowing the judge personally).

My intuition, not based on any experience, is that an overlap of one month might be workable, but that more than that likely is not.

Anonymous User

Re: Overlap in two clerkship dates

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2023 8:05 pm

I doubt a big overlap would be feasible but that should only come up with judges who have multiple turnovers—the vast majority of judges turn over in August or September anyway. Also just FYI most start dates on OSCAR are approximate, plus or minus a month or so.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”