State Supreme Court then COA Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Hahalawlaw12345

New

State Supreme Court then COA

Post by Hahalawlaw12345 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:34 am

Is it a dumb idea to work at a firm for a year after graduating law school then do a state Supreme Court clerkship followed by a federal COA clerkship?

Anonymous User

Re: State Supreme Court then COA

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:09 am

No, that would be a good idea, especially if it is a well-regarded SSC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:43 pm

I think some nuance to the answer above is helpful. If you already have a federal CoA clerkship lined up and are considering a SSC, I think the situations where it’s worth it are more limited. Unless you plan to practice in the state, I don’t think the SSC would be worth it over a district court clerkship or even an extra year of biglaw pay.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:24 pm

I don't think your question clearly presents the issue you want answered. Is the whole idea bad? No. People do it all the time. Are you asking if it's a bad idea to fill a gap between your COA with a SSC rather than work in biglaw for another year? If so, the previous anon is correct, it's based on your state. Are you asking if it's a bad idea to follow a SSC with a COA? If so, definitely a great idea, and better to knock it out now than going back to practice before doing so later down the road.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”