Withdrawing from clerkship interview w/o another offer Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Withdrawing from clerkship interview w/o another offer

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:58 pm

I accepted an interview for a clerkship that I was initially very excited for, but now I am questioning whether I want to do it. I don't have any other offers -- just second guessing this clerkship. Any tips on what to do here? How to withdraw?

Anonymous User

Re: Withdrawing from clerkship interview w/o another offer

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:10 pm

Generally the advice is that you can withdraw before the interview and it isn't a big deal. If you would no longer consider the opportunity, email the JA or clerk with a graceful note expressing gratitude/regrets/etc. No need to explain yourself much.

But also: what made you initially excited, and what makes you question that now?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:13 pm

Yes, I did it for four judges. (Way, way underestimated my competitiveness—thanks Columbia clerkship office). As long as it is prior to the interview and/or not like literally the day before, it is fine.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:26 pm

If you want to withdraw, withdraw. Just send a tactful email thanking them for the opportunity and stating that you need to withdraw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:13 pm
thanks Columbia clerkship office
I know this is unrelated, but Dean Saavedra literally stopped talking to me because she thought I wasn't a good clerkship candidate. I ended up getting one federal appellate interview, four district court interviews (including D.D.C. and E.D.N.Y.), and five SSC interviews. If anybody is choosing between Columbia and another law school, and clerkship opportunities ends up being what makes or breaks your decision, I'd tell you to stay clear away from Columbia.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:35 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:13 pm
thanks Columbia clerkship office
I know this is unrelated, but Dean Saavedra literally stopped talking to me because she thought I wasn't a good clerkship candidate. I ended up getting one federal appellate interview, four district court interviews (including D.D.C. and E.D.N.Y.), and five SSC interviews. If anybody is choosing between Columbia and another law school, and clerkship opportunities ends up being what makes or breaks your decision, I'd tell you to stay clear away from Columbia.
Person you're replying to. I was at around the 3.8 mark, but I did not have anyone really invested in me or calling for me and had three meh reccomenders. I told them I was open to clerk anywhere so they told me to max out Oscar and then some (I must have ended up applying to like around 160 judges in total) and ended up getting like 15 interview invites lol. I think I had like 6 appellate, 4 district, and 5 SSC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:55 am
Person you're replying to. I was at around the 3.8 mark, but I did not have anyone really invested in me or calling for me and had three meh reccomenders. I told them I was open to clerk anywhere so they told me to max out Oscar and then some (I must have ended up applying to like around 160 judges in total) and ended up getting like 15 interview invites lol. I think I had like 6 appellate, 4 district, and 5 SSC.
They told you that crap with a 3.8?! I only had around a 3.55. That whole office needs to be revamped...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:49 pm

OP - are you a 2L, is this off plan?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:37 am

Same — I’m struggling with this too. I got an interview this week with a CA9 judge in a more remote part of the circuit and I don’t know if I’m excited to live there. When I applied I thought it was a total long shot but now that I have an interview, I’m not sure I want to live there. I’m in my 30s and I think I might be too old to haul my life out there for just 1 year. Am I crazy to consider turning down this opportunity? (Current district court clerk in a large city within CA9, grades a little above median from a T14.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:37 am
Same — I’m struggling with this too. I got an interview this week with a CA9 judge in a more remote part of the circuit and I don’t know if I’m excited to live there. When I applied I thought it was a total long shot but now that I have an interview, I’m not sure I want to live there. I’m in my 30s and I think I might be too old to haul my life out there for just 1 year. Am I crazy to consider turning down this opportunity? (Current district court clerk in a large city within CA9, grades a little above median from a T14.)
This seems a little less obvious. If you're getting a CA9 interview and you're around median in a high t14, and you are happy to clerk for a year, you might not want to turn down a remote area. It doesn't really make much of a difference where you clerk, as long as you don't have the option to clerk in your hometown, which is much different.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:11 pm

I withdrew from consideration after I interviewed with a Ninth Circuit judge, but before getting an offer/rejection. Just email chambers (or whoever your contact for the interview was) with a brief and polite note stating that you appreciated the opportunity to interview but that on further reflection you've decided to withdraw from consideration. It's not a big deal as long as you don't turn down an offer, and even then it's fine as long as you do it tactfully.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:37 am
I think you're a little bit crazy to turn it down just because of geography. Not saying that Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Billings, or Richland are worth visiting for a year just for their own sake, but they're all real places, with opportunities to get outdoors if nothing else. And if it's Boise, Reno, or Anchorage, there's plenty going on. It's just a year, and if you're in your 30s, you know that's not that long.

Is it a can't-miss opportunity? No, of course not, and plenty of people never clerk at all. But if you applied to COA positions because you thought it would be a good next step, you were probably right.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:53 pm

Not only did I withdraw, but I withdrew post-offer from a judge in EDVA and a judge in EDLA. Each gave incredibly bad vibes that were backed up by anecdotes from others.

There were absolutely no career consequences (did 7th Circuit and SDNY instead). Trust your gut. It's just a job.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”