Alumni Clerkship Competitiveness Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Alumni Clerkship Competitiveness

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:18 pm

Alumni (2-years of WE), Top 3% T25, Coif, No LR, Secondary E-Board, Published Note. 1 Strong Recommender (former SCOTUS clerk), unique(ish) WE at Federal regulatory agency (Honors Program).

Planning on applying broadly, but curious where I would be competitive?

10th Cir, 8th Cir? Assuming no 2nd/9th/DC Cir.
Assuming not D.D.C./SDNY/NDCal etc., but what about other major cities e.g., NDTX, SDFL, D-Mass, etc.

Anonymous User

Re: Alumni Clerkship Competitiveness

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:18 pm
Alumni (2-years of WE), Top 3% T25, Coif, No LR, Secondary E-Board, Published Note. 1 Strong Recommender (former SCOTUS clerk), unique(ish) WE at Federal regulatory agency (Honors Program).

Assuming not D.D.C./SDNY/NDCal etc., but what about other major cities e.g., NDTX, SDFL, D-Mass, etc.
School name can make a big difference here, but I’d say you are “competitive” in all the places you mentioned.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Definitely competitive. T25 suggests a strong regional school (USC, UF, Minnesota, etc.) as opposed to a national school; if that's the case, you will be strongest in your school's section of the country.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:29 pm

You’re very competitive. And selectivity depends a lot on judge vs. circuit; your credentials are comfortably better than e.g. Pooler’s clerks’.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:36 pm

I actually do not think you're not competitive for SDNY/DDC/2d/9th. Those are big districts and circuits and there are some judges in each of those who hire summas from T25s. I would say DC Cir. is out though. In a nutshell, I wouldn't be surprised if you did not end up getting any of SDNY/DDC/2d/9th, but I also wouldn't be floored if you ended up getting one of those courts. All this is to say is apply broadly and that you have circuit potential.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:29 pm
You’re very competitive. And selectivity depends a lot on judge vs. circuit; your credentials are comfortably better than e.g. Pooler’s clerks’.
lol I know it’s popular to shit on Pooler, but I’ve seen a few of her clerk’s credentials and they’re strong? At least from my law school, they’ve been high grades, law review, etc

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
lol I know it’s popular to shit on Pooler, but I’ve seen a few of her clerk’s credentials and they’re strong? At least from my law school, they’ve been high grades, law review, etc
Agreed that that was a weird call out to Pooler, although I guess I get it because it is a good example of why Second Circuit is not closed to OP. Pooler's clerks do tend to be below the median of the typical circuit clerk resume-wise that you see from the T6, but that does not mean they're not impressive. They're still noticeably above the median T6er—clerking or non-clerking—by nature of the fact that they have a circuit clerkship. I mean Pooler probably still gets a ton of applications, I think she just undervalues normal clerkship things like grades and overvalues demonstrated progressive bona fide compared to your normal leftist judge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Pooler has some clerks with strong credentials, but she also hires quite a few people with weak credentials (relative to CA2) but strong upstate ties. E.g. I don’t think anyone else on CA2 hires from Albany or Syracuse Law.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Because she doesn’t take from “top” schools, and some gunner assholes on here take it personally that someone got the same job they did/the job they couldn’t get despite their school rank.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Because she doesn’t take from “top” schools, and some gunner assholes on here take it personally that someone got the same job they did/the job they couldn’t get despite their school rank.
Pooler has a poor reputation because she writes bad opinions, not because she hires bad clerks. But anyway like you note she’s not as credential-conscious as her peers, which was the point of using her as an example.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Which honors program? One with a more public interest-ey bent?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:32 am

OP here, not going to get into specifics but think EPA/DOL. Resume and current work experience are very public interest(y).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”