Pre-Clerkship Summer Associate Hiring Timelines Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Pre-Clerkship Summer Associate Hiring Timelines

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:12 pm

Hi,

I have a COA clerkship lined up immediately after graduation, but I am interested in being a pre-clerkship summer associate while studying for the bar during my 3L summer. Does anyone know the timeline for these positions at firms like MTO, Susman, Kaplan Hecker, or other firms that have these spots? When would one apply?

Anonymous User

Re: Pre-Clerkship Summer Associate Hiring Timelines

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:21 pm

Without knowing you, your desires, or needs, I ask you to reconsider. You have a free(ish) summer. Time is short, and precious. Read a book. Touch grass. Go travel to a city you have never been to. Workout regularly. Fly a kite. Anything but throwing away a rare opportunity for exploration and free time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:49 pm

I did a pre-clerkship SA and it was great. I made a significant amount of money, was basically treated as an associate versus a summer (but one who got to go home at 5), and got to know a new firm that I eventually accepted an offer at post-clerkship. I applied in February or March but not to one of those; pre-clerkship SAs are often one-off arrangements afaik.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:44 pm

If you're graduating this year, I would apply now. I know Susman hired someone for the 3L summer gig a couple months ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:17 pm

I applied and interviewed in August, following my 2L summer program.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”