Losing firm offer if I clerk? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Losing firm offer if I clerk?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:50 pm

I'm currently a 2L. I really want to work in a particular city that only has 2 biglaw firms. I was lucky to secure a summer associate position in litigation--my preferred practice area--with one of those firms. I'd be working in a small satellite office that only has a few people in my practice group.

I may have the opportunity to secure a two-year federal district clerkship immediately after I graduate from law school. The clerkship would be in the same district but not the same city. However, I'm worried that my firm won't be willing to hold my spot for this long; I'm also worried that they won't be able to create a new spot. Obviously, if this happens, I can't count on getting hired at the only other biglaw firm in my preferred city.

Can anyone give guidance on what I should do? I really want to clerk; what are my chances of having an offer at my firm when this clerkship ends? I know people can only speculate, but any information is helpful. Thank you.

Anonymous User

Re: Losing firm offer if I clerk?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:05 pm

Was in a similar situation but I worked for two years at the firm before clerking and then went back to the smaller sat office. I think you need to ask partners in the office for their thoughts. They will have an idea of hiring. I also think it depends on your long term goals. If you are sure you only want to live in that particular city and think you want to work in biglaw at that firm long term, I don't think taking the clerkship is worth the risk. Just my two cents.

not2spicy4

New

Post by not2spicy4 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:50 pm
I'm currently a 2L. I really want to work in a particular city that only has 2 biglaw firms. I was lucky to secure a summer associate position in litigation--my preferred practice area--with one of those firms. I'd be working in a small satellite office that only has a few people in my practice group.

I may have the opportunity to secure a two-year federal district clerkship immediately after I graduate from law school. The clerkship would be in the same district but not the same city. However, I'm worried that my firm won't be willing to hold my spot for this long; I'm also worried that they won't be able to create a new spot. Obviously, if this happens, I can't count on getting hired at the only other biglaw firm in my preferred city.

Can anyone give guidance on what I should do? I really want to clerk; what are my chances of having an offer at my firm when this clerkship ends? I know people can only speculate, but any information is helpful. Thank you.
Is there someone at the firm who you'd be willing to ask this question to? If so, that person will probably be able to give you the best insight. I can't imagine that simply asking about how the firm views clerkships would rub anyone the wrong way.

For what it's worth, the firm I was a summer associate with seemed thrilled to have people clerk, but that was a much bigger office in a more traditional biglaw city than what you appear to be describing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:07 pm

When will you be applying for the clerkship? Is there anyone in the firm you could reach out to and ask about how the firm handles clerkships? There’s no real way to know - if it’s filled with former clerks for the proposed district that’s a good sign, but you’d still probably need to ask someone who’s got inside info.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I highly doubt that thus firm would not welcome back a former summer who clerked right out of school in the district where the firm is located.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I highly doubt that thus firm would not welcome back a former summer who clerked right out of school in the district where the firm is located.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:07 pm
When will you be applying for the clerkship? Is there anyone in the firm you could reach out to and ask about how the firm handles clerkships? There’s no real way to know - if it’s filled with former clerks for the proposed district that’s a good sign, but you’d still probably need to ask someone who’s got inside info.
OP here. In the next couple of days. There aren’t many former clerks in my office (I think there are two: one is in a transactional practice group, and one is a partner), but there aren’t many people in my office, so I don’t know if I should really read into that. I haven’t summered there yet, so I’m nervous to reach out and make this my first impression.

namefromplace

Bronze

Post by namefromplace » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:27 pm

I wouldn't worry about making this decision yet; wait until you have an offer in hand (from the judge and, ideally, the firm) and then bring it up to the firm. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a regional firm that discourages clerking in vague terms, but would be much more surprised if one told you that if you accepted a clerkship offer you wouldn't get a return offer at the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:31 pm

namefromplace wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:27 pm
I wouldn't worry about making this decision yet; wait until you have an offer in hand (from the judge and, ideally, the firm) and then bring it up to the firm. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a regional firm that discourages clerking in vague terms, but would be much more surprised if one told you that if you accepted a clerkship offer you wouldn't get a return offer at the firm.
OP again. I have an interview scheduled with the judge: my law school indicated that I should accept an offer on-the-spot if I receive one. Is this true? If so, should I ask my firm before the interview?

The firm I’m working at is a v100, I’m just in a tiny office.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

namefromplace

Bronze

Post by namefromplace » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:31 pm
namefromplace wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:27 pm
OP again. I have an interview scheduled with the judge: my law school indicated that I should accept an offer on-the-spot if I receive one. Is this true? If so, should I ask my firm before the interview?

The firm I’m working at is a v100, I’m just in a tiny office.
Very few judges give exploding offers nowadays. I would completely disregard whatever advice your law school gives you; their incentives here align with you getting a clerkship, not necessarily you having the kind of career you want to have. If the judge does expect you to accept the offer on the spot, tell them about your concerns about your firm. Either the judge will give you a brief grace period to talk to the firm and decide, call up the firm themselves, or reveal themselves to be the kind of inflexible autocrat that would be painful to spend two years clerking for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:38 pm

You can always just email someone in the firm you trust and/or their recruiting team. I really don't think they'll no-offer a SA just for asking this incredibly reasonable question.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:13 pm

IMO the best approach would be to ask the firm in advance of interviewing for the clerkship. I think you can phrase in a way that doesn't sound like you are not interested in the firm. Even if you are planning on going back there, it can be useful to know. Its not an out of bounds question at all.

On the other hand, you will probably feel a little pressure if you do get the clerkship offer. Even if the judge doesn't give an exploding offer, its probably better to know if you'd like to accept the job before you interview for the job.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”