Delaware Chancery Court Clerkship 2024-25 Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
gillybean

New

Delaware Chancery Court Clerkship 2024-25

Post by gillybean » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:08 pm

Hi folks,

Has anyone heard anything from the Chancellors? Any interviews already scheduled?

Thank you!

Anonymous User

Re: Delaware Chancery Court Clerkship 2024-25

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:32 am

gillybean wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:08 pm
Hi folks,

Has anyone heard anything from the Chancellors? Any interviews already scheduled?

Thank you!
Current Chancery clerk here. Each judge is putting together a shortlist this week, so I wouldn’t anticipate any interviews being extended until next week at the earliest.

Also, worth noting that there is only one Chancellor. The other judges are Vice Chancellors or Masters in Chancery (our magistrate equivalent).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:33 pm

:D thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:32 am
gillybean wrote:
Hi folks,

Thank you!
Current Chancery clerk here. Each judge is putting together a shortlist this week, so I wouldn’t anticipate any interviews being extended until next week at the earliest.

Also, worth noting that there is only one Chancellor. The other judges are Vice Chancellors or Masters in Chancery (our magistrate equivalent).
Feels like a definitive answer so taking this as a chance to broaden convo/derail

Is there any chance you could provide some perspective on the credential sensitivity/preferences of the VC/CKM?

Curious about the sort of grades/school, but also whether it matters if a candidate has had prior financial industry experience and whether the VCs/C look favorably on law firm experience (particularly whether corporate/lit matters a ton)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
gillybean wrote:
Hi folks,

Thank you!

Feels like a definitive answer so taking this as a chance to broaden convo/derail

Is there any chance you could provide some perspective on the credential sensitivity/preferences of the VC/CKM?

Curious about the sort of grades/school, but also whether it matters if a candidate has had prior financial industry experience and whether the VCs/C look favorably on law firm experience (particularly whether corporate/lit matters a ton)
This is Chancery anon from above. Like all clerkship hiring, the judges' idiosyncrasies create a fair bit of randomness in the process, particularly since there are only ~14 spots to fill. For instance, one judge might like hiring a clerk from their law school every few years and is willing to dip somewhat on grades for the right candidate. Many of the judges also teach short seminars and occasionally hire a student who impressed them. Others might get referred a candidate from one of the large DE firms, where many of the judges worked in a past life.

The one thing that seems to give candidates a bump is ties to Delaware, whether family, school, or work experience. This is far from necessary, but the judges seem pretty uniformly favorable to candidates who can credibly demonstrate that they plan to practice here after the clerkship. Another, more necessary, factor is demonstrable interest in corporate law. This could be work experience or just coursework. We routinely reject people with solid credentials that haven't taken Business Associations or Corporations and don't have another way to demonstrate that interest. Finance/law firm experience is a plus for differentiation, but probably won't get you pulled from the pile absent something else. Lit/corp doesn't seem to matter a ton.

In terms of credentials, I think the easiest way to frame this is in terms of selectivity for candidates that don't have some unusual edge (DE ties, rec from a professor the judge really trusts, etc.). A 3.7+ from a T14, 3.8+ from a T30, or top ~5 in your class outside the T30 will probably get your application a second look. Whether you end up getting an interview is going to depend on the judge's preferences and who else they're considering. It's mostly about fit at that point and there are just way too many qualified candidates to interview everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:48 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
gillybean wrote:
Hi folks,

Thank you!

This is Chancery anon from above. Like all clerkship hiring, the judges' idiosyncrasies create a fair bit of randomness in the process, particularly since there are only ~14 spots to fill. For instance, one judge might like hiring a clerk from their law school every few years and is willing to dip somewhat on grades for the right candidate. Many of the judges also teach short seminars and occasionally hire a student who impressed them. Others might get referred a candidate from one of the large DE firms, where many of the judges worked in a past life.

The one thing that seems to give candidates a bump is ties to Delaware, whether family, school, or work experience. This is far from necessary, but the judges seem pretty uniformly favorable to candidates who can credibly demonstrate that they plan to practice here after the clerkship. Another, more necessary, factor is demonstrable interest in corporate law. This could be work experience or just coursework. We routinely reject people with solid credentials that haven't taken Business Associations or Corporations and don't have another way to demonstrate that interest. Finance/law firm experience is a plus for differentiation, but probably won't get you pulled from the pile absent something else. Lit/corp doesn't seem to matter a ton.

In terms of credentials, I think the easiest way to frame this is in terms of selectivity for candidates that don't have some unusual edge (DE ties, rec from a professor the judge really trusts, etc.). A 3.7+ from a T14, 3.8+ from a T30, or top ~5 in your class outside the T30 will probably get your application a second look. Whether you end up getting an interview is going to depend on the judge's preferences and who else they're considering. It's mostly about fit at that point and there are just way too many qualified candidates to interview everyone.
Is there any chance I could PM? I would really appreciate chance to talk more specifically but do not want to dox

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
gillybean wrote:
Hi folks,

Thank you!

Is there any chance I could PM? I would really appreciate chance to talk more specifically but do not want to dox
Sure, if you make a non-anon post I’ll try and PM you. Not sure how much help I can realistically provide on specifics. There are a finite number of things you can do to boost your chances (work in DE, get recs from corporate profs, boost grades, etc.). Everything else is going to be judge specific and I just don’t have insight into everyone’s hiring preferences.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:29 pm

Thanks a lot for all your insight! It is very helpful to know how things work there, and what are the aspects that would stand out to the judges.

If you had to pick the most rewarding/surprising/exciting aspects of your work as a clerk, what would you tell us?

I really appreciate you taking the time to feed our curiosity!

Good luck to all the candidates on landing an interview!

lawschoolistough23

New

Post by lawschoolistough23 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
gillybean wrote:
Hi folks,

Thank you!

Sure, if you make a non-anon post I’ll try and PM you. Not sure how much help I can realistically provide on specifics. There are a finite number of things you can do to boost your chances (work in DE, get recs from corporate profs, boost grades, etc.). Everything else is going to be judge specific and I just don’t have insight into everyone’s hiring preferences.
Responding un-anon; thanks so much!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:03 pm

lawschoolistough23 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:53 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
gillybean wrote:
Hi folks,

Thank you!

Well, this sucks. It looks like my account doesn't have enough history to PM. At the same time, I use the same username across different platforms and coming off anon would make me pretty easy to dox.

Any chance you can ask your questions at a sufficient level of abstraction to avoid doxing? If you're worried about being identifiable to chambers, I'm not sure it'll really matter (interview picks should be wrapping up) or that anyone would bother.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:49 pm

Do u live in Philly or Wilmington?

Would you mind disclosing your monthly salary? :oops:

lawschoolistough23

New

Post by lawschoolistough23 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well, this sucks. It looks like my account doesn't have enough history to PM. At the same time, I use the same username across different platforms and coming off anon would make me pretty easy to dox.

Any chance you can ask your questions at a sufficient level of abstraction to avoid doxing? If you're worried about being identifiable to chambers, I'm not sure it'll really matter (interview picks should be wrapping up) or that anyone would bother.
Agh, I am a future applicant, so somewhat worried of doxxing going forward. But fair point on the "no one cares" take. I guess i am curious specifically about whether you have any insight into VCL, CM, or VCZ idiosyncratic preferences

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:49 pm
Do u live in Philly or Wilmington?

Would you mind disclosing your monthly salary? :oops:
Not the same user but Del. Supreme Court pays $55k and change annually. I imagine Chancery is similar. As someone from the area, I highly highly recommend against living in Philly. You will grow to hate that commute so much. Sure Wilmington doesn't have as much to offer, but its much better than the extra rent and the commute to Philly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:45 pm

Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Agh, I am a future applicant, so somewhat worried of doxxing going forward. But fair point on the "no one cares" take. I guess i am curious specifically about whether you have any insight into VCL, CM, or VCZ idiosyncratic preferences
I can’t really get into individual hiring preferences without (a) making it obvious who I work for or (b) speculating.

I will say that VCZ has a well known preference for hiring clerks that are going to stay in Delaware. She also hires for two-year clerkships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:56 pm

Hello anonclerk!

Would you be so kind to tell me your honest opinion about my chances to make it to the interview round?

I am a Brazilian M&A partner in the largest Brazilian firm and HYS 2023 LLM graduate. I hold a PhD in corporate law from OxBridge/visited another HYS as a scholar in 2019/teach US corporate law at a prestigious Brazilian university as an adjunct.

BUT I AM NOT A US CITIZEN (HOLD A VISA ONLY) AND DO NOT HAVE A JD.

Should I simply forget about it or worth applying next year?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:49 pm

Does the court send rejections to unsuccessful applicants?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:56 pm
Hello anonclerk!

Would you be so kind to tell me your honest opinion about my chances to make it to the interview round?

I am a Brazilian M&A partner in the largest Brazilian firm and HYS 2023 LLM graduate. I hold a PhD in corporate law from OxBridge/visited another HYS as a scholar in 2019/teach US corporate law at a prestigious Brazilian university as an adjunct.

BUT I AM NOT A US CITIZEN (HOLD A VISA ONLY) AND DO NOT HAVE A JD.

Should I simply forget about it or worth applying next year?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Anon clerk here. I would definitely apply! I think your unconventional profile would get some attention. The two concerns would be (a) visa issues and (b) non-native English.

I think DE Supreme/Chancery regularly has clerks that aren’t US citizens, but I don’t personally have any familiarity with how that works from a visa perspective.

On the English front, drafting nuanced opinions on complex topics is a big part of the job so near-native writing skills are a must. A recommendation from a professor familiar with your writing would be helpful and is something I might flag in a cover letter to make sure it gets read.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:23 pm

How many people get interviewed by each judge?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:03 pm

:| :| :| :| :| :|
dying to hear back…

xodimo

New

Post by xodimo » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:13 am

Today is the day! I can feel it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:15 am

Today is the day!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:25 am

today is the day, i hope . . . *crosses fingers*

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:26 pm

has anyone received an interview invite today?

gillybean

New

Post by gillybean » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:09 pm

Nope…! :?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:28 pm

no :cry:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!