Return to Old Firm? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
sphyrnidae13

Bronze

Return to Old Firm?

Post by sphyrnidae13 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:56 pm

Hi, everyone

I’m halfway through a one year clerkship and about a month ago reached out to my old firm about returning. They asked for my resume and said that they would be follow up soon. Has anyone heard of the returning clerk market being impacted this year? How long is appropriate to wait before following up? Is it appropriate to apply/reach out to other firms, while waiting to hear back from my old firm, or is that bad form?

Thanks.

BansheeScream

New

Re: Return to Old Firm?

Post by BansheeScream » Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:27 pm

If they're debating whether to take you back I don't see how it could be bad form for you to apply elsewhere. Seems like nothing is guaranteed anymore.

Yeti

New

Post by Yeti » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:29 pm

Agreed with Banshee. I wouldn't hamstring yourself by waiting – it sounds like they haven't guaranteed you a spot back. Go ahead and apply to other firms.

moxcoal

New

Post by moxcoal » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:10 pm

There's another similar thread that might be worth reviewing. Regardless, you should be shopping around even if you liked your old firm. They won't take it personally, just need to look out for yourself unless you've accepted a tangible offer for your next role. Another benefit is negotiating up your clerkship bonus.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”