Three clerkships (with three different courts)? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Three clerkships (with three different courts)?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:02 pm

Current 3L right now. During my 2L application cycle I had sort of blanketed a bunch of courts and ended up with a state supreme court and federal court of appeals clerkship one after the other. However, I really, really want to clerk for a federal district court. I hope to work as an AUSA or in the DOJ doing trial level work and not appellate work. Plus, I like the fast-paced nature of district court work. Now as federal districts are posting applications for 2025 and 2026 I am thinking of applying. My main concern, though, is that three clerkships are not really that common unless you are going to SCOTUS (which I will not be). On the other hand, maybe three clerkships for three different courts is actually good and shows range? As a primer, I am 100% willing (and will probably want to) take a class year cut and I also have no intentions of becoming a partner at a biglaw firm. Would it really be that crazy in my situation to apply for a federal district court clerkship?

Edit: Also maybe I should apply for districts but be more discerning about the district as in only EDNY/SDNY/CDCal/NDIll/DDC?

Anonymous User

Re: Three clerkships (with three different courts)?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:16 pm

Personally, I’d say go for it - I think your reasons for doing it make sense. When it’s for personal satisfaction and/or to get a specific kind of experience, that makes sense to me (as opposed to just wanting more brass rings). But I’d also want to know, is there a firm you’re planning to go back to? 3 clerkships seems like a lot to ask one firm to support, or if you’re planning to find a new firm, 3 clerkships might look a little like you’re a permanent clerk type. Could you instead do the SSC/COA, then work for a few years, then try for a DCt as a way to transition into something else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:16 pm
Personally, I’d say go for it - I think your reasons for doing it make sense. When it’s for personal satisfaction and/or to get a specific kind of experience, that makes sense to me (as opposed to just wanting more brass rings). But I’d also want to know, is there a firm you’re planning to go back to? 3 clerkships seems like a lot to ask one firm to support, or if you’re planning to find a new firm, 3 clerkships might look a little like you’re a permanent clerk type. Could you instead do the SSC/COA, then work for a few years, then try for a DCt as a way to transition into something else?
Anon you're replying to. Yes, that may be a good idea. In that case, maybe I should focus on the 2026 postings as they start to roll in, so there is some firm work in between? The firm I summered at maxes at two clerkship before they roll you back into the general pool.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:09 pm

I did a district and COA clerkship. I may be biased but I don't think there's a better way to learn how to litigate than to clerk on a district court. I don't really see any downside for you to doing one. The salary of a JS-13, which is what you would be, is comparable to an AUSA in most districts so there's no financial reason not to. The one piece of advice I would give is to clerk in the district that you'd like to be an AUSA in if you can. Your judge will have sway over the local office hiring and you develop a fairly good network if you put yourself out there because you see AUSAs and other attorneys every day at the district court (at least in the district I clerked in).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:02 pm
Current 3L right now. During my 2L application cycle I had sort of blanketed a bunch of courts and ended up with a state supreme court and federal court of appeals clerkship one after the other. However, I really, really want to clerk for a federal district court. I hope to work as an AUSA or in the DOJ doing trial level work and not appellate work. Plus, I like the fast-paced nature of district court work. Now as federal districts are posting applications for 2025 and 2026 I am thinking of applying. My main concern, though, is that three clerkships are not really that common unless you are going to SCOTUS (which I will not be). On the other hand, maybe three clerkships for three different courts is actually good and shows range? As a primer, I am 100% willing (and will probably want to) take a class year cut and I also have no intentions of becoming a partner at a biglaw firm. Would it really be that crazy in my situation to apply for a federal district court clerkship?

Edit: Also maybe I should apply for districts but be more discerning about the district as in only EDNY/SDNY/CDCal/NDIll/DDC?
Go for it. If you actually want to be an AUSA in a certain district, a clerkship in that district is better than any other district unless you somehow snag a district feeder like Kovner or Friedrich and want to apply to SCOTUS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:44 pm

Person who asked the question here. It sounds like I should go for it. In applying should I put the fact that I am clerking twice before on my resume or cover letter or would having two prior clerkships maybe be a red flag. I get that it is often good to have one clerkship on your resume when you are snagging a second, but maybe it is different when you're trying to snag a third, non-SCOTUS one?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:44 pm
Person who asked the question here. It sounds like I should go for it. In applying should I put the fact that I am clerking twice before on my resume or cover letter or would having two prior clerkships maybe be a red flag. I get that it is often good to have one clerkship on your resume when you are snagging a second, but maybe it is different when you're trying to snag a third, non-SCOTUS one?
It's an idiosyncratic process, but overall, I can't see you clerking twice hurting you more than helping you with judges. That isn't to say there isn't a judge who won't see it as a negative, but there are almost certainly more judges that would see it as a positive, particularly at the D. Ct. level where it is helpful to have experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:49 pm

Hard to see it as a negative for judges, and you'd have to explain what you're doing those two years anyway. The issue is for firms later, not judges.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:49 pm
Hard to see it as a negative for judges, and you'd have to explain what you're doing those two years anyway. The issue is for firms later, not judges.
OP here. To the extent it would be a negative for firms, would that negativeness be alleviated somewhat if I explicitly said in my cover letter I want a class year cut.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
OP here. To the extent it would be a negative for firms, would that negativeness be alleviated somewhat if I explicitly said in my cover letter I want a class year cut.
Why negotiate against yourself?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:22 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Why negotiate against yourself?
I figured coming in as a fourth year was such a nonstarter that I wouldn't be seriously considered without that concession in the cover letter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:22 pm

I think this is one of the few justifiable reasons to do three—when one is a SSC (which imo is a very valuable and underrated experience assuming you’re clerking for a good judge on a good court). The main risk is that you’ll get bored imo but district clerking is pretty different from appellate clerking.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Ok so OP here. I am compiling district applications and want to send them out. I should explicitly note my two clerkships on my resume and cover letter you think? I was planning on maybe omitting the SSC and just explicitly mentioning appellate (obviously won't like about it if it comes up though), but it seems like SSC is actually a plus to my app so I guess I'll keep it on?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:14 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Ok so OP here. I am compiling district applications and want to send them out. I should explicitly note my two clerkships on my resume and cover letter you think? I was planning on maybe omitting the SSC and just explicitly mentioning appellate (obviously won't like about it if it comes up though), but it seems like SSC is actually a plus to my app so I guess I'll keep it on?
Yes, definitely keep it on. Judges like to see clerking experience and will probably wonder why you have an empty year if you leave it off.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:51 am

Personally, I generally think its not a good idea to do three except in very limited circumstances. Its basically a given that you won't be credited or compensated for the third year which means the opportunity cost is pretty high, and honestly I think firms would prefer that you only clerk 1-2 years versus clerking for three so you can get relevant firm experience.

That said, if you want to be an AUSA, there could be some benefit. I personally would strongly recommend clerking in the district where you would like to be an AUSA though. I don't think the value of the district court clerkship outweighs the cost of doing a third year otherwise (as a person who generally is pretty positive on district clerkships)

I would mention all of your clerkships on the application

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:51 am
Personally, I generally think its not a good idea to do three except in very limited circumstances. Its basically a given that you won't be credited or compensated for the third year which means the opportunity cost is pretty high, and honestly I think firms would prefer that you only clerk 1-2 years versus clerking for three so you can get relevant firm experience.

That said, if you want to be an AUSA, there could be some benefit. I personally would strongly recommend clerking in the district where you would like to be an AUSA though. I don't think the value of the district court clerkship outweighs the cost of doing a third year otherwise (as a person who generally is pretty positive on district clerkships)

I would mention all of your clerkships on the application
Thanks! This is all very helpful. I'll apply narrowly in the district I want to be an AUSA. Definitely will not just blanket districts though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”