Draft orders / opinions as writing samples (with judge's permission)? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Draft orders / opinions as writing samples (with judge's permission)?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:03 am

My judge has given all former interns permission to use their draft opinions as writing samples, so long as it is the first draft. However, I have seen people on here advising against doing that (although my school's clerkship office doesn't see it as an issue).

Is this really a red flag if your judge has explicitly granted permission? I saved all first drafts, and this particular judge had interns essentially owning the drafting process from start to finish, so I would be quite comfortable presenting it as my work. But, if some judges would view it as a red flag, will of course abstain. Would appreciate any insight people might have!

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Re: Draft orders / opinions as writing samples (with judge's permission)?

Post by Fireworks2016 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:28 am

I think it’s fine and normal. I would just include a cover page explaining that you have permission etc

Anonymous User

Re: Draft orders / opinions as writing samples (with judge's permission)?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:31 am

It's fine if your judge signs off on it I think, most do not which is why there is advice here against it. Also, even if your judge does not ask you to do this, I would change the names or redact any highly personal information in the case that is not relevant. Definitely note on the cover page that the judge has given you permission, though, to avoid any mix ups.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”