Back-to-back Federal Magistrate Clerkships? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Back-to-back Federal Magistrate Clerkships?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:11 pm

I'm in the second year of a federal magistrate clerkship in a remote district. I've been considering doing another federal magistrate clerkship in a highly-sought after district, think NDIL, DDC, SDNY. I'm only considering a one-year magistrate clerkship.

Would this be advisable? I have read that people who take more than two years of clerkships without going up the hierarchy (e.g. magistrate to district, etc.) are seen as red flags. The biggest benefit here is that the judges would be in cities where networking would be easy, and where I want to live and work long-term.

Would a one-year bankruptcy clerkship in these districts be good, if I eventually want to do restructuring?

Any and all thoughts welcome!

username5101520

New

Re: Back-to-back Federal Magistrate Clerkships?

Post by username5101520 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:09 pm

I really doubt not moving up the hierarchy is seen as a red flag. But, regardless, what you're describing IS moving up the hierarchy, so to speak, because you're describing moving from a less competitive to more competitive district.

I think if you want to do restructuring, a bankruptcy clerkship seems very applicable.

Remember, of course, that there's more to clerking than just resume value. Vibe with judge. Their teaching style. Location location location. Caseload. The judge's connections and background. Your question seemed to ask about mainly resume value, though, so my above answer was limited to that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:30 am

If the alternative is unemployment, then why not?

SDNY or bust. SDNY MJs get a ton of MJPs, MTDs, and MSJs referred to them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:06 pm

Does anyone know what kinds of cases DDC mag judges get? Especially for someone interested in the clerking->govt honors path

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:40 pm

I interviewed about two years with DDC magistrate so take that for what it’s worth, but then it was a lot of FOIA that was passed down by judges who didn’t want to do it, a fair bit of discovery, and criminal work related to January 6 (which had just occurred).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:40 pm
I interviewed about two years with DDC magistrate so take that for what it’s worth, but then it was a lot of FOIA that was passed down by judges who didn’t want to do it, a fair bit of discovery, and criminal work related to January 6 (which had just occurred).
I thought DDC had a dedicated criminal clerk (at least they did when I was there pre-Jan6. IMO, DDC is one of the "better" districts to clerk because you don't get habeas.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:06 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:40 pm
I thought DDC had a dedicated criminal clerk (at least they did when I was there pre-Jan6. IMO, DDC is one of the "better" districts to clerk because you don't get habeas.
Shared criminal clerk rings a bell. I think you’re right. I interviewed about a week after J6, so it’s possible that to the extent that other clerks were lending a hand and my memory isn’t completely wacky, that was just the immediate effect.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:43 am

I wouldnt take another MJ clerkship over any reputable (like, 2/3s market and up) firm.

username5101520

New

Post by username5101520 » Mon May 08, 2023 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:43 am
I wouldnt take another MJ clerkship over any reputable (like, 2/3s market and up) firm.
This is terrible, hopelessly broad advice. So many other variables play into the decision. Do NOT listen to this poster.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”