Older Senior Judge Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Older Senior Judge

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:56 am

I asked this in the clerks taking question forum, but figured I would also ask it here.

I am clerking for a Judge in his/her 80s in 2025 and I know this is morbid, but I am worried what would happen if they die? I know there is a practice in SCOTUS that the clerks get placed with other Justices. Is that typically done on the circuit level too?

Quichelorraine

Bronze

Re: Older Senior Judge

Post by Quichelorraine » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:56 am
I asked this in the clerks taking question forum, but figured I would also ask it here.

I am clerking for a Judge in his/her 80s in 2025 and I know this is morbid, but I am worried what would happen if they die? I know there is a practice in SCOTUS that the clerks get placed with other Justices. Is that typically done on the circuit level too?
It's not guaranteed, but it seems usually to be the practice (with District Judges, too). You've been hired for a year, you're in the system, and judges are happy to have another employee helping out.

This has happened to a few people I know. Each time, they ended up with another judge to finish out their terms . . . with one being kept on an additional year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:03 pm

Quichelorraine wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

It's not guaranteed, but it seems usually to be the practice (with District Judges, too). You've been hired for a year, you're in the system, and judges are happy to have another employee helping out.

This has happened to a few people I know. Each time, they ended up with another judge to finish out their terms . . . with one being kept on an additional year.
Does this apply even if you have not yet started clerking. In other words, the judge dies before I start?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:55 pm

Quichelorraine wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

This happened to the clerks of a deceased senior judge during my term, and iirc they did not get to finish the full term. Due to an AO rule they only could be kept on payroll for a certain number of months. They did get shifted to an active judge for those months though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”