Fourth Letter of Rec Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Fourth Letter of Rec

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:50 pm

Is it okay to submit four letters of recommendation--three from professors, and one from my district court judge? Will it have an effect one way or the other?

Anonymous User

Re: Fourth Letter of Rec

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:01 pm

Same question here. Situation slightly different. If things go well this semester, by the time the Plan opens I may be able to gather four recommenders - all professors. Do I need to drop one of them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:23 pm

Is there a reason why you think you need four? Is there something that the fourth is going to add that the other three can't provide?

I don't think four rec letters is some kind of issue that's going to get you auto-dinged, I just think it's rare that adding another letter is going to help you.

Wrt a letter from a judge, if your judge is willing to write a letter, yes, I'd drop one of the professors. It would also be fair to submit three letters from profs and say that your judge would be happy to take a phone call about you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:50 pm
Is it okay to submit four letters of recommendation--three from professors, and one from my district court judge? Will it have an effect one way or the other?
Just drop a professor letter. Most letters are the same generic crap, better to have a federal judge signing it than a professor.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”