Chance me for CA2 - missing classes Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Chance me for CA2 - missing classes

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:24 pm

T6, FedSoc, borderline summa, but missing a number of key clerkship classes (mainly Evidence and FedCourts but more rigorous than average student, probably). 3L.

Mostly interested in CA2, so really asking how hardline those judges are about specific classes

Anonymous User

Re: Chance me for CA2 - missing classes

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:24 pm
T6, FedSoc, borderline summa, but missing a number of key clerkship classes (mainly Evidence and FedCourts but more rigorous than average student, probably). 3L.

Mostly interested in CA2, so really asking how hardline those judges are about specific classes
rufkm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Talk to your fed soc contacts. You're probably fine especially if you do it through fed soc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:06 am

Confused why you haven’t applied already as a Fed Soc 3L, though I guess CLS and NYU don’t give good clerkship advice. Your odds are good in my opinion as a former CA2 clerk but you should apply beyond CA2 (e.g. Chagares and Matey in Newark). Probably nobody’s going to be able to answer something as niche as how Sullivan feels about admin and it’s not in your control anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Why don't you just take at least one of Fed Courts or Evidence now? T6 borderline summa is obviously competitive regardless. And why mainly interested in CA2?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:42 am

Does court of appeals care about evidence? I thought that’s a d.ct. concern, given that evidence isn’t actually introduced at Appellate level.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:42 am
Does court of appeals care about evidence? I thought that’s a d.ct. concern, given that evidence isn’t actually introduced at Appellate level.
I don't think they necessarily care for the knowledge, but it is considered a "difficult" class that they like to see. Also sometimes there are evidence issues on appeal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:06 am
Confused why you haven’t applied already as a Fed Soc 3L, though I guess CLS and NYU don’t give good clerkship advice. Your odds are good in my opinion as a former CA2 clerk but you should apply beyond CA2 (e.g. Chagares and Matey in Newark). Probably nobody’s going to be able to answer something as niche as how Sullivan feels about admin and it’s not in your control anyway.
Not really the point of this thread, but Matey is the only Newark CA3 Fedsoc judge. Chagares basically only hires liberals despite being a Republican appointee.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:03 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I don't think they necessarily care for the knowledge, but it is considered a "difficult" class that they like to see. Also sometimes there are evidence issues on appeal.
I disagree. I think Evidence is one of the few classes that judges expect to see on a transcript.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I think everyone is kinda getting away from the important things here

If you are fed soc + T6 + summa grades + above average rigour, you are almost certainly fine. There are people with below median grades at my school who pulled COA clerkships via fed soc pipeline before 2L grades even dropped.

Fed courts is the bigger omission than evidence, but take it this semester?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:56 am

What are the "must take" clerkship classes outside of the 1L stuff: Contracts, Con Law, Torts, Crim, Civ Pro, and Property? Fed Courts, Admin, and Crim Pro?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:42 pm

Piggybacking: what do you guys think of 2L with five black letters, two seminars, and an externship? (As opposed to six black letters, one seminar, and an externship.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:42 pm
Piggybacking: what do you guys think of 2L with five black letters, two seminars, and an externship? (As opposed to six black letters, one seminar, and an externship.)
That's fine if this is a semester system, in fact, it is above fine. The general consensus is try to take 2 black letters a semester/quarter.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:28 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I disagree. I think Evidence is one of the few classes that judges expect to see on a transcript.
Yeah, I mean, the vast majority of criminal appeals involve evidentiary issues (civil have a lot, too, esp. experts). That said, I think the degree to which judges want to see specific classes varies a lot. Unless you have very insider knowledge, it's going to be really hard to assess from the outside which judges will care (and you should still apply anyway, let them reject you).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:35 am
Anonymous User wrote:

If you are fed soc + T6 + summa grades + above average rigour, you are almost certainly fine. There are people with below median grades at my school who pulled COA clerkships via fed soc pipeline before 2L grades even dropped.

Yeah the only reason they wouldn’t be fine is that they’re apparently limited to CA2

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:28 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, I mean, the vast majority of criminal appeals involve evidentiary issues (civil have a lot, too, esp. experts). That said, I think the degree to which judges want to see specific classes varies a lot. Unless you have very insider knowledge, it's going to be really hard to assess from the outside which judges will care (and you should still apply anyway, let them reject you).
This isn’t right fwiw, the vast majority of criminal appeals are from guilty pleas and evidentiary objections are nearly unreviewable on appeal. Evidence came up a lot in my SDNY clerkship and literally never in my CA2 one from what I can remember. But you should take it just bc it’s pretty essential knowledge for legal practice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:56 am
What are the "must take" clerkship classes outside of the 1L stuff: Contracts, Con Law, Torts, Crim, Civ Pro, and Property? Fed Courts, Admin, and Crim Pro?
Fed Courts, Evidence, Crim Pro, Advanced Civ Pro, Admin are all better to have than to not have. My hot take is that you should also take Bankruptcy—it comes up a good amount, involves basically an entirely different legal system, and is important to understand for practice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:50 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:05 pm
This isn’t right fwiw, the vast majority of criminal appeals are from guilty pleas and evidentiary objections are nearly unreviewable on appeal. Evidence came up a lot in my SDNY clerkship and literally never in my CA2 one from what I can remember. But you should take it just bc it’s pretty essential knowledge for legal practice.
Okay, that's fair, I realized I was assuming based on my state COA clerkship, where criminal appeals do often raise evidentiary issues, because more state cases go to trial (also plenty of published federal COA opinions are trial cases that do involve evidentiary issues, but admittedly that doesn't mean they'll make up a lot of a given clerk's caseload in one term). And obviously what a state appeals court judge wants is moot here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:28 pm

Does Professional Responsibility count as black letter?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:48 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:35 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah the only reason they wouldn’t be fine is that they’re apparently limited to CA2
yeah, and even then - someone like Menashi is almost certainly going to take them

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:28 pm
I’m not the authority on this stuff by any means but since the class is literally required to graduate I just can’t imagine judges blaming you for taking it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:21 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:28 pm
I’m not the authority on this stuff by any means but since the class is literally required to graduate I just can’t imagine judges blaming you for taking it
At my school PR was 2 credits instead of 4, so it felt like half a BLL class. No judge is going to ding you for it as it is required, but I was advised to be extra safe and take PR with two other BLLs just in case. Was that overly neurotic? Maybe, but it was no big deal since PR was kind of a joke anyways.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”