Taking SSC Clerkship after Striking Out on Biglaw from Dist Ct Clerkship? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Taking SSC Clerkship after Striking Out on Biglaw from Dist Ct Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:36 pm

I know it is still early in the 2023 hiring cycle for clerks, but I am coming off a 1-year district court clerkship and have completely struck out gunning for lit in CA, both at big law and mid-size shops. The few nibbles and single callback I have had so far have failed to yield an offer. I did not summer at a law firm either 1L or 2L summer.

I was below median at CCN and got probably lucky to find a d.ct. clerkship in the first place, although I'm 100% sure my judge likes me and has spoken/will speak highly about me if asked.

My judge is also well-liked in my state and has told me they think I would enjoy a clerkship at the state's supreme court. The state is not really close to California but I do enjoy clerking. My end goal is still a firm that pays close to market so I can service my debt. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Taking SSC Clerkship after Striking Out on Biglaw from Dist Ct Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:43 pm

I think a SSC is generally a good experience, but two main things:

First, I think it’s too early to say you’ve struck out - many (if not most) firms don’t start looking at clerks till February or later. (That said, no previous firm experience may be an issue.)

Second, unless your judge knows of a vacancy or can really pull strings, most state supreme court justices will have hired for next fall already.

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:21 am

waaaay too early to say you've struck out. Unless every CA firm has already rejected your application, I wouldn't say that until like May

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:30 am

agreed with others on too early to say you struck out. Also, is your dist ct clerkship in CA? I'd maybe see about just jumping to a big firm in NYC that has a CA office or something.
I'd only take the SSC clerkship if it was in a market I wanted to practice in (or maybe right next to it, since some cities are trans-state cities like Las Cruces/El Paso, Memphis w/ northern Sipp, tri city areas etc).
If you enjoy clerking though and just want the xp I don't think it'll hurt, but you have not yet struck out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:52 am

Presumably your clerkship ends in September. It’s January 8th. You haven’t struck out. Things are just getting started. I didn’t get my offer until June.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:55 pm

OP, is your district clerkship in an area without much biglaw?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:55 pm
OP, is your district clerkship in an area without much biglaw?
Yes - there are no market paying firms here. For personal reasons I cannot leave the state in which I am clerking, except for southern California (where my SO's family can help with childcare).

Thanks to everybody letting me know I haven't struck out but I would like to plan as soon as possible for my job next year - so far, not having an offer for employment in the next seven months is very scary.

I am aware that at least two justices on the SSC in my current state have vacant clerkship positions. I don't really have any interest in criminal prosecution or defense. I don't see any move other than the SSC clerkship (or another federal clerkship) that could potentially help me land big law at some point.

Antetrust

New

Post by Antetrust » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:58 pm

Thanks to everybody letting me know I haven't struck out but I would like to plan as soon as possible for my job next year - so far, not having an offer for employment in the next seven months is very scary.
You gotta risk it for the biscuit. If not, it sounds like applying for the SSC clerkship is your only option. But you will probably have to accept an offer if your judge sticks their neck out to get you the offer. Then you will have to deal with any pangs of regret when you start getting offers from high-paying firms in a few months.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:58 pm
I know that it's scary, but fwiw, it's also normal. It's very abnormal for employers to hire that far out. And frankly if you do a SSC clerkship you're probably going to be in the same situation a year from now going through this all over again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:36 pm
I know it is still early in the 2023 hiring cycle for clerks, but I am coming off a 1-year district court clerkship and have completely struck out gunning for lit in CA, both at big law and mid-size shops. The few nibbles and single callback I have had so far have failed to yield an offer. I did not summer at a law firm either 1L or 2L summer.

I was below median at CCN and got probably lucky to find a d.ct. clerkship in the first place, although I'm 100% sure my judge likes me and has spoken/will speak highly about me if asked.

My judge is also well-liked in my state and has told me they think I would enjoy a clerkship at the state's supreme court. The state is not really close to California but I do enjoy clerking. My end goal is still a firm that pays close to market so I can service my debt. Thoughts?
I had very good credentials and a V5 job, left for a SSC clerkship, and found it significantly hurt my marketability. I would not recommend them for Big Law. But YMMV.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:45 pm

ughbugchugplug wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I had very good credentials and a V5 job, left for a SSC clerkship, and found it significantly hurt my marketability. I would not recommend them for Big Law. But YMMV.
Can you speak more on this? In what ways did it hurt your marketability?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:45 pm
ughbugchugplug wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I have a hard time seeing a SSC actively *hurt* someone's marketability in a vacuum. I can see the above specific sequence of events raising questions for employers - why did they leave a V5 job for a SSC clerkship? were they going to get fired from the V5? did they not want to be in biglaw? Whether or fair or not, I think that leaving a V5 job for a "mere" SSC (assuming it wasn't with one of the few sort of feeder-y state justices) could look unusual. Also, depending on where the SSC clerkship was (and where the V5 was), what did it suggest about where they wanted to practice (like was the SSC in/near the market they targeted after the fact)?

I think the impact of a SSC for someone who's never had a law firm job and is trying to break into a law firm would be different. It may not add much after already doing a federal clerkship, admittedly.

That said, I still think it's too early to say that the OP has struck out, and that if they bail on the job search now to take another clerkship, they're going to be in the exact same position next year. If the SSC is in their target market, they clerk for an established/well-known/well-liked judge who goes to bat for their clerks, and they spend the year locally networking their ass off, then it may help them in their job search, but they will have to put in that work. Given that the SSC isn't in their target market, it would depend probably on how close the legal markets are.

(WRT getting into mid/biglaw, the other thing that hasn't really come up is what experience the OP actually has - if they didn't work in a firm either 1L or 2L year, what did they do instead?)

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:30 am

nixy wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:06 am
Anonymous User wrote:
ughbugchugplug wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I have a hard time seeing a SSC actively *hurt* someone's marketability in a vacuum. I can see the above specific sequence of events raising questions for employers - why did they leave a V5 job for a SSC clerkship? were they going to get fired from the V5? did they not want to be in biglaw? Whether or fair or not, I think that leaving a V5 job for a "mere" SSC (assuming it wasn't with one of the few sort of feeder-y state justices) could look unusual. Also, depending on where the SSC clerkship was (and where the V5 was), what did it suggest about where they wanted to practice (like was the SSC in/near the market they targeted after the fact)?

I think the impact of a SSC for someone who's never had a law firm job and is trying to break into a law firm would be different. It may not add much after already doing a federal clerkship, admittedly.

That said, I still think it's too early to say that the OP has struck out, and that if they bail on the job search now to take another clerkship, they're going to be in the exact same position next year. If the SSC is in their target market, they clerk for an established/well-known/well-liked judge who goes to bat for their clerks, and they spend the year locally networking their ass off, then it may help them in their job search, but they will have to put in that work. Given that the SSC isn't in their target market, it would depend probably on how close the legal markets are.

(WRT getting into mid/biglaw, the other thing that hasn't really come up is what experience the OP actually has - if they didn't work in a firm either 1L or 2L year, what did they do instead?)

I went to the SSC after a year at the V5 because I already had it before law school ended. The post clerkship hiring market was terrible and most firms do not want SSC compared to district court clerks. I think I had maybe 3 interviews despite being T14 top 5%. I attribute this to being because the SSC was out of state, but who knows. In my experience in general people overstate how valuable large firms find clerkships.

But yeah, it’s way too early to think the post clerkship hiring market is over, and another round of clerking will leave you in the same spot you’re currently in. The best time for post clerkship hiring in my experience is June+ because then you can get jobs that are just open because they need someone rather than being hired way in advance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:11 am

ughbugchugplug wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:30 am
nixy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ughbugchugplug wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I went to the SSC after a year at the V5 because I already had it before law school ended. The post clerkship hiring market was terrible and most firms do not want SSC compared to district court clerks. I think I had maybe 3 interviews despite being T14 top 5%. I attribute this to being because the SSC was out of state, but who knows. In my experience in general people overstate how valuable large firms find clerkships.

But yeah, it’s way too early to think the post clerkship hiring market is over, and another round of clerking will leave you in the same spot you’re currently in. The best time for post clerkship hiring in my experience is June+ because then you can get jobs that are just open because they need someone rather than being hired way in advance.
Were you not able to go back to your prior firm?

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:11 am
ughbugchugplug wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:30 am
nixy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ughbugchugplug wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Were you not able to go back to your prior firm?
No, I couldn’t do that either. Staffing was rough my first year - the first year lit associates started a weekly book club meeting because nobody had any work to do, and they pushed like 3-4 of us into PE (not me though). I think I billed like 700 (and about the same amount in pro bono to keep myself busy). Doubt i would’ve been laid off, but I think they took the opportunity of the clerkship to trim the headcount a bit.

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:37 am

ughbugchugplug wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:28 am

No, I couldn’t do that either. Staffing was rough my first year - the first year lit associates started a weekly book club meeting because nobody had any work to do, and they pushed like 3-4 of us into PE (not me though). I think I billed like 700 (and about the same amount in pro bono to keep myself busy). Doubt i would’ve been laid off, but I think they took the opportunity of the clerkship to trim the headcount a bit.
wow that is super frustrating because that kind of behavior by the firm basically disincentivizes peoples to clerk...I hope you don't feel regrets about your clerkship, and it sounds like you probably don't because you landed somewhere else

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:35 am

jotarokujo wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:37 am
ughbugchugplug wrote:

wow that is super frustrating because that kind of behavior by the firm basically disincentivizes peoples to clerk...I hope you don't feel regrets about your clerkship, and it sounds like you probably don't because you landed somewhere else
Oh I regret it quite a bit. I didn’t even like the SSC clerkship. I did land somewhere else but the stress of losing my (expected) job and then having bad opportunities in the post clerkship market took a real toll. I developed panic attacks and ultimately turned down a job offer at Quinn in lieu of a mid sized firm because I didn’t think I could hack it in big law after that experience. Would not recommend!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:01 pm

ughbugchugplug wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:35 am
jotarokujo wrote:
ughbugchugplug wrote:

Oh I regret it quite a bit. I didn’t even like the SSC clerkship. I did land somewhere else but the stress of losing my (expected) job and then having bad opportunities in the post clerkship market took a real toll. I developed panic attacks and ultimately turned down a job offer at Quinn in lieu of a mid sized firm because I didn’t think I could hack it in big law after that experience. Would not recommend!
I don’t understand how you said a few posts ago that your marketability decreased significantly, but then you say how you turned down an offer from Quinn and had multiple offers post-clerkship. Do you see the disconnect here? It’s a little disingenuous.

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:01 pm
ughbugchugplug wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:35 am
jotarokujo wrote:
ughbugchugplug wrote:

I don’t understand how you said a few posts ago that your marketability decreased significantly, but then you say how you turned down an offer from Quinn and had multiple offers post-clerkship. Do you see the disconnect here? It’s a little disingenuous.
Fair point. At OCI, I interviewed with 25 firms and had many, many offers at many good firms. Out of my clerkship, Quinn was the only big firm to give me an offer and one of 4 that interviewed me.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:13 pm

Yeah, I don’t think the SSC clerkship here actually hurt, rather than just not helping compared with a DCt clerkship (which you didn’t have). I suppose it hurt to the extent that leaving for the clerkship provided the opportunity for the V5 to cut you, but it sounds like the issue is much more that your firm was shitty and the job market was shitty.

Totally get wishing you hadn’t done it under those circumstances, but I don’t think the logical conclusion is that the SSC made you less marketable, just that the circumstances/timing were unfortunately really bad. Post-clerkship hiring is never the same as OCI (which goes to your point that clerkships aren’t as desirable as people think, which I generally agree with - they’re great credentials but I don’t think they usually transform candidates for biglaw jobs).

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:30 pm

nixy wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:13 pm
Yeah, I don’t think the SSC clerkship here actually hurt, rather than just not helping compared with a DCt clerkship (which you didn’t have). I suppose it hurt to the extent that leaving for the clerkship provided the opportunity for the V5 to cut you, but it sounds like the issue is much more that your firm was shitty and the job market was shitty.

Totally get wishing you hadn’t done it under those circumstances, but I don’t think the logical conclusion is that the SSC made you less marketable, just that the circumstances/timing were unfortunately really bad. Post-clerkship hiring is never the same as OCI (which goes to your point that clerkships aren’t as desirable as people think, which I generally agree with - they’re great credentials but I don’t think they usually transform candidates for biglaw jobs).
Fair point. I truly regret the clerkship, but it may have really been more the firm than the clerkship itself that caused the problem.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:34 pm

ughbugchugplug wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:30 pm
nixy wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:13 pm

Fair point. I truly regret the clerkship, but it may have really been more the firm than the clerkship itself that caused the problem.
Yeah, and to be clear, I’m not trying to say it wasn’t a shitty situation to be in, especially if the clerkship itself wasn’t a great experience.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”