Chances of clerking Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Chances of clerking

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:49 pm

Around top 20% after 1L at one of CLS/NYU, if I stay in this range and am geographically flexible what are my odds of being able to clerk in a flyover district postgrad in 2024?

Anonymous User

Re: Chances of clerking

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:18 pm

If you don’t have ties to the areas you are targeting, Fed Soc, URM, or some other plus beyond grades and school, still not great unless you raise your grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:49 pm
Around top 20% after 1L at one of CLS/NYU, if I stay in this range and am geographically flexible what are my odds of being able to clerk in a flyover district postgrad in 2024?
Good if you are actually geographically flexible and leverage local ties. People exaggerate the grades needed to be a competitive clerkship applicant from the top schools. A lot of judges just want solid grades from a good school and a person that will be enjoyable to work with for a year. Ballpark top 1/3 from Columbia/NYU is going to be competitive for many districts. Sure, you probably aren’t getting SDNY or EDNY but you are competitive for like D. Conn or D.N.J. The main thing working against you is that many district judges now prefer some work experience. COA will be a stretch but it’s absolutely still worth applying for those. You also could be in the 10-15% range after 2L if you keep grinding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:39 am

I'm from NYU and chances are good especially after having a few years of work experience. You're prob not gonna get SDNY/EDNY though absent URM or Fed Soc

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:47 pm

How do you clerk a few years out? Do you apply on plan or once you're at your firm? Don't judges in NYC hire several years out?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:18 pm
If you don’t have ties to the areas you are targeting, Fed Soc, URM, or some other plus beyond grades and school, still not great unless you raise your grades.
second this. work experience increases your chances though

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:49 pm
It really depends on your academic performance. If you stay in the top 20% of your class at CLS/NYU, you stand a good chance of being able to clerk in a flyover district postgrad in 2024. However, it also depends on a variety of other factors such as your connections and networking abilities. I would suggest reaching out to your school's career services office to get more information on the process and how to increase your chances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:47 pm
How do you clerk a few years out? Do you apply on plan or once you're at your firm? Don't judges in NYC hire several years out?
Yeah apply as a 3L or once you're at a firm. And yes NYC judges hire a few years out. So there is like a year or two of assumed work experience, but if you're a 3L or a current associate and will have 3-4 years of work experience before you start that can help you stand out for a lot of judges.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:44 pm

I graduated with a 3.55 GPA at Columbia, so that's roughly Top 30% from my estimate. I also had law review. I applied to probably like 90ish clerkships around the country. I received interview offers for district court judges in EDPA, ND Ohio, DDC, and EDNY, a 10th Circuit judge, and a few state supreme court justices. So, you absolutely have a chance at clerking.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:44 pm
I graduated with a 3.55 GPA at Columbia, so that's roughly Top 30% from my estimate. I also had law review. I applied to probably like 90ish clerkships around the country. I received interview offers for district court judges in EDPA, ND Ohio, DDC, and EDNY, a 10th Circuit judge, and a few state supreme court justices. So, you absolutely have a chance at clerking.
If this was during your 2L summer I think this speaks more towards you having a stellar application/other factors than OP's chances in particular. Congrats, though, those are incredible results.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
DDC with those stats is impressive. Any advice for current students? (Also, fedsoc?)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
DDC with those stats is impressive. Any advice for current students? (Also, fedsoc?)
Is there a Fed Soc bump for District Judges? I don't know much about DDC, but I always assumed jurisprudence/ideology is less important at the trial court level.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Is there a Fed Soc bump for District Judges? I don't know much about DDC, but I always assumed jurisprudence/ideology is less important at the trial court level.
Random flyover district court? Eh, maybe, but not so much. Friedrich or Nichols on DDC? Yeah, they are only hiring fedsoc lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:07 pm
If this was during your 2L summer I think this speaks more towards you having a stellar application/other factors than OP's chances in particular. Congrats, though, those are incredible results.
Nope, I applied the first year after I graduated law school. I had been working at a pretty prestigious public interest org at that time, though. And I had a few decently placed law review publications. Those were probably the only additional bonuses on my application (plus local ties with one of the judges).
Anonymous User wrote:
No FedSoc. The DDC one was a bit unique admittedly because the judge was involved with the advisory committees on federal rules. The judge wanted a clerk to specifically help him with tasks related to those committees and was looking for someone whose ultimate goal was legal academia (which is mine). I didn't get to interview for it though because I'd already accepted a clerkship for that term; was kinda bummed about it.

I don't have any stellar advice, to be honest. Apply broadly. Really focus on having an excellent writing sample (having evaluated applications now, you'd be surprised how terrible some samples can be from otherwise good applicants). Pick recommenders who can write specifics about you. Having a personal narrative can also help. For instance, I was clearly focused on public interest work and academia, and so I got picked up by judges with similar backgrounds/interests. Come across as a pleasant person in your interests section and interviews, as there's many applicants who just come across as weirdos IRL unfortunately. And don't waste time on tailoring your cover letters unless you have local ties.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Nope, I applied the first year after I graduated law school. I had been working at a pretty prestigious public interest org at that time, though. And I had a few decently placed law review publications. Those were probably the only additional bonuses on my application (plus local ties with one of the judges).
Anonymous User wrote:
No FedSoc. The DDC one was a bit unique admittedly because the judge was involved with the advisory committees on federal rules. The judge wanted a clerk to specifically help him with tasks related to those committees and was looking for someone whose ultimate goal was legal academia (which is mine). I didn't get to interview for it though because I'd already accepted a clerkship for that term; was kinda bummed about it.

I don't have any stellar advice, to be honest. Apply broadly. Really focus on having an excellent writing sample (having evaluated applications now, you'd be surprised how terrible some samples can be from otherwise good applicants). Pick recommenders who can write specifics about you. Having a personal narrative can also help. For instance, I was clearly focused on public interest work and academia, and so I got picked up by judges with similar backgrounds/interests. Come across as a pleasant person in your interests section and interviews, as there's many applicants who just come across as weirdos IRL unfortunately. And don't waste time on tailoring your cover letters unless you have local ties.
No need to be humble hahahaha. Well placed publications + T6 + a desirable niche for many judges (elite PI) is an incredible candidate

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No need to be humble hahahaha. Well placed publications + T6 + a desirable niche for many judges (elite PI) is an incredible candidate
Yeah, agreed you're quite a great candidate, don't sell yourself short.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, agreed you're quite a great candidate, don't sell yourself short.
OP who asked about fedsoc, law review publications are definitely an impressive plus on their own!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”