Send out applications now or wait after fall grades? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Send out applications now or wait after fall grades?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:50 pm

Current 3L planning to send out apps after fall grades came out, but feel like I completely bombed one of my exams—idk why just felt out of my element. Wondering if I should pre-empt that and send my applications now just to get my foot in the door. My current grades are good, just barely within top ten percent at Duke/Michigan/Berkeley/Northwestern. The fear though is that after fall, my grades may be dragged down. I'll admit, though, I am not the best at predicting how well my exams go and have felt horrible about a previous exam I got a high grade on (but also once felt good on an exam I got a bad grade on). So maybe it is best to chill out and stop being neurotic.

Anonymous User

Re: Send out applications now or wait after fall grades?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:10 pm

I went to one of those schools and was in your position last year (except with slightly worse grades) - might as well apply now to anyone you're interested in, but they'll probably ask for your fall grades at some time in the process (there might be judges that will review apps, interview, and extend offers between now and mid-January, but there probably aren't many). FWIW I ended up getting a clerkship from an interview in Feb/March despite my fall 3L grades being a bit lower than my 2L grades, so it'll be OK even if you didn't do that great on the exam (but who knows, maybe everybody else also didn't do great!)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:10 pm
I went to one of those schools and was in your position last year (except with slightly worse grades) - might as well apply now to anyone you're interested in, but they'll probably ask for your fall grades at some time in the process (there might be judges that will review apps, interview, and extend offers between now and mid-January, but there probably aren't many). FWIW I ended up getting a clerkship from an interview in Feb/March despite my fall 3L grades being a bit lower than my 2L grades, so it'll be OK even if you didn't do that great on the exam (but who knows, maybe everybody else also didn't do great!)
Thanks for this! If you don't mind me asking, how much did they drop after fall grades?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks for this! If you don't mind me asking, how much did they drop after fall grades?
I don't remember exactly (and apparently didn't keep any of my transcripts except the last one), but I would guess by like 0.05 or something? So not a huge drop, but I remember being concerned about a negative trend - it didn't stop me from getting several interviews & an offer though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:48 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I don't remember exactly (and apparently didn't keep any of my transcripts except the last one), but I would guess by like 0.05 or something? So not a huge drop, but I remember being concerned about a negative trend - it didn't stop me from getting several interviews & an offer though.
Thanks, and congrats on the offer that is good hear! Fingers crossed I'm worrying for nothing though, but hey at least it's good to know even if it ends up poorly I'm probably alright

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:50 pm
Current 3L planning to send out apps after fall grades came out, but feel like I completely bombed one of my exams—idk why just felt out of my element. Wondering if I should pre-empt that and send my applications now just to get my foot in the door. My current grades are good, just barely within top ten percent at Duke/Michigan/Berkeley/Northwestern. The fear though is that after fall, my grades may be dragged down. I'll admit, though, I am not the best at predicting how well my exams go and have felt horrible about a previous exam I got a high grade on (but also once felt good on an exam I got a bad grade on). So maybe it is best to chill out and stop being neurotic.
It's normal to feel a bit anxious when sending out applications and it can be difficult to predict how exams will go. In my opinion, I don't think you should rush yourself into sending your applications now if your grades are currently good. You've worked so hard up to this point, and you don't want to ruin that. I think it is best to stay positive and focus on the present.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:32 pm

Update, I waited and got a B+. Took a big hit to my gpa, but I should be still around approximately top 15ish percent. Anyone know how a judge would view someone going from top 5% to top 15% because of one shitty semester. I have no real excuses like family emergency, etc..., guess I just screwed up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”