SCOTUS Clerkship Movement? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: SCOTUS Clerkship Movement?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:03 pm
feugueltsi wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:00 pm

Justices come and go, but Yale remains.
Oceans rise, empires fall....
Honestly, how does Yale do so well with essentially every justice? Is the faculty this well connected? I go to a lowly T6 that is horrendous at placing students with SCOTUS.
Probably section bias. SCOTUS-quality applicants cluster at Yale.
I don’t think there’s such a thing as a “SCOTUS-quality applicant” at the time selection occurs, before you start law school. Some exceptions obviously like e.g. this guy.

https://www.gibsondunn.com/lawyer/hammer-stephen-j/
Idk man, every time i look up these SCOTUS guys linkedin they tend to have something there even if it is "just" like summa/magna cum laude at HYPS. I've never seen one of these guys that I think wow I would have never guessed this guy would end up at SCOTUS.
Sure but being an exceptional undergrad is basically required to get into all of the T6 (or at least all of HYSC, CLS and NYU are admittedly a bit looser on GPA), not just YLS. And tons of students with that don’t get SCOTUS.
Stephen Hammer also just an elite tier name, gets u pulled from the pile every time

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:51 pm

New Lat drop. Looks like Kavanaugh might be full for 2025, and confirms that KBJ is full for 2023.

Grant and Kovner look like the big winners from this drop from a quick skim. Plus Friedrich as usual.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:51 pm
New Lat drop. Looks like Kavanaugh might be full for 2025, and confirms that KBJ is full for 2023.

Grant and Kovner look like the big winners from this drop from a quick skim. Plus Friedrich as usual.
As expected, gotta pony up the money to see...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:38 pm

Saw on Twitter that Roberts hired a NU ‘22 grad for OT 2024. It appears that this person hasn’t even clerked at the COA level yet (but is about to).

Does this mean that it can be worth applying to SCOTUS even before beginning to clerk on a lower court? Like maybe if an applicant’s grades are just that good or on the off chance that something else unusual in an application catches a Justice’s eye? My understanding was that, at least for non-HYS grads, one isn’t a plausible candidate for the Court until one at least begins a (usually feeder) clerkship. But if it might make sense to begin applying earlier…

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:38 pm
Saw on Twitter that Roberts hired a NU ‘22 grad for OT 2024. It appears that this person hasn’t even clerked at the COA level yet (but is about to).

Does this mean that it can be worth applying to SCOTUS even before beginning to clerk on a lower court? Like maybe if an applicant’s grades are just that good or on the off chance that something else unusual in an application catches a Justice’s eye? My understanding was that, at least for non-HYS grads, one isn’t a plausible candidate for the Court until one at least begins a (usually feeder) clerkship. But if it might make sense to begin applying earlier…
On this person's Munger website they did intern for Boasberg. Wonder if that played a role? My guess is surely it wouldn't but who knows. The person also seems to be number one in the class so maybe they had phenomenal grades (~4.3) and Roberts (who famously likes really high grades) felt comfortable taking her now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:59 am
Anonymous User wrote:

On this person's Munger website they did intern for Boasberg. Wonder if that played a role? My guess is surely it wouldn't but who knows. The person also seems to be number one in the class so maybe they had phenomenal grades (~4.3) and Roberts (who famously likes really high grades) felt comfortable taking her now.
She also interned at SCOTUS. But yes some people get hired early. It’s also been reported that Kavanaugh hired a 3L at YLS (though it’s Tom Hungar’s daughter and everyone knows how much the justices like hiring their buddies’ kids)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:31 pm

When do SCOTUS apps happen (I go to a school where nobody knows, though I have a tiny shot).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:48 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

She also interned at SCOTUS. But yes some people get hired early. It’s also been reported that Kavanaugh hired a 3L at YLS (though it’s Tom Hungar’s daughter and everyone knows how much the justices like hiring their buddies’ kids)
Kavanaugh has hired 2 YLS 3L's.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:31 pm
When do SCOTUS apps happen (I go to a school where nobody knows, though I have a tiny shot).
I believe no liberal is hiring until December.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The NU grad is also connected to the larger DC community via her parents, so that may explain it in part.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Kavanaugh has hired 2 YLS 3L's.
Poster who initially asked about the Northwestern future Roberts clerk. Yes, I’ve heard of people from YLS and HLS getting hired while they’re still in law school, but (as someone who was number one or thereabouts at a school between HYS and Northwestern) I thought the rest of us mere mortals had to ride it out a little longer to have a real—though still long—shot. Was just wondering if anyone had any intel about this person that makes her the exception, or whether we should all just be lobbing applications asap!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:31 pm
I believe no liberal is hiring until December.
I have also heard this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

She obviously has the credentials, but also a family connection. I wouldn't treat her path as one just anyone is able to follow.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:30 pm

I was reading about some professor at Harvard being upset about the graduate school accepting money and renaming itself after Ken Griffin. The Crimson article mentioned that the professor's son had worked as a clerk for Sotomayor, which sparked my curiosity about the number of liberal clerks with parents who are Ivy League professors. I can name about 3 off the top of my head, are there more?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:32 pm

Has anyone heard anything from KBJ? I think last year she sent writing competition invitations about a month after the application deadline, so I would expect something similar this year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:32 pm
Has anyone heard anything from KBJ? I think last year she sent writing competition invitations about a month after the application deadline, so I would expect something similar this year.
writing competition started this week

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:38 pm

Has anyone heard from SS?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:36 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:32 pm
writing competition started this week
Any details for people who are never applying to SCOTUS on what this writing competition entails? First I've ever heard of a judge asking for something like that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:09 pm

Anyone hear if Sotomayor has reached out to anyone yet or if Jackson has reached out to anyone after the writing thing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:53 am

Hearing that the Chief has hired at least one more, I think for '25. NDLS, Thapar/Beaton. Not sure CJR has hired from ND before.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:08 pm

Chicago ('21) --> Gallagher/Heytens --> Kavanaugh ('26)
Chicago ('24) --> Thapar --> Kavanaugh ('25)
Chicago (''21) --> Pryor/Rao --> Thomas ('25)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:53 am
Hearing that the Chief has hired at least one more, I think for '25. NDLS, Thapar/Beaton. Not sure CJR has hired from ND before.
A little surprising given that the Chief is a Catholic from Northwest Indiana.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
If this is right, I'm like 90% I know them and, if so, good for them. they shockingly dont suck

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
When does the Chief hire? My outdated, non-HYS info was that he doesn't hire right now.

Also, I thought Sotomayor was hiring now but haven't heard anything from friends.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
When does the Chief hire? My outdated, non-HYS info was that he doesn't hire right now.

Also, I thought Sotomayor was hiring now but haven't heard anything from friends.
To my (flawed) knowledge: Recently the Chief has hired some in the fall and some in the spring. Recently Sotomayor waits until after the New Year. Obviously there are exceptions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”