SCOTUS Clerkship Movement? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: SCOTUS Clerkship Movement?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:20 pm

Kagan made a number of hires last week. I think she might be full for 2024 and have already hired someone for 2025 but I could be wrong on exact details.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:20 pm
Kagan made a number of hires last week. I think she might be full for 2024 and have already hired someone for 2025 but I could be wrong on exact details.
Can confirm at least one Kagan hire for 2024 last week. Not sure about 2025.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:21 am

Kagan sent letters saying she's already full for 2024.

I haven't heard anything from/about KBJ for 2023, though I second the question up the thread about this in case anyone has heard anything.

I would imagine that Sotomayor's offers for 2023 have gone out given that she was interviewing a few weeks ago but have not heard anything about actual offers going out so don't really know.

I also imagine that it will be near impossible to get information about Breyer because he's only got one clerk, but if anyone has any info, I for one would be grateful if you share it!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:05 pm

YLS —> Srinivasan/Boasberg —> Kagan for OT25

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:05 pm
YLS —> Srinivasan/Boasberg —> Kagan for OT25

Name / source?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:22 pm

Kagan hired a couple of clerks from Srinivasan and a clerk from Thapar. Might have hired more people too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:44 pm

Another bump for KBJ -- anyone heard anything? She had a 12/31 deadline for apps so I would expect there to have been some movement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:23 pm

My question is a bit off topic--but what are some considerations to take for even thinking about applying to SCOTUS?

Will have district court (not thought of as a competitive district) and circuit court clerkship (non-feeder), graduated top 1/3rd at MVP, law review, and diverse candidate. Also not in fed-soc (I identify on the opposite spectrum) but open to clerking for whoever.

I've had a few people tell me I should consider applying, but I can't tell if they are just being nice or if they are serious. Also do connections matter? I have a few connections to people who clerked on SCOTUS and/or know some of the judges personally. Should I work a few years post-clerking then consider applying?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:23 pm
My question is a bit off topic--but what are some considerations to take for even thinking about applying to SCOTUS?

Will have district court (not thought of as a competitive district) and circuit court clerkship (non-feeder), graduated top 1/3rd at MVP, law review, and diverse candidate. Also not in fed-soc (I identify on the opposite spectrum) but open to clerking for whoever.

I've had a few people tell me I should consider applying, but I can't tell if they are just being nice or if they are serious. Also do connections matter? I have a few connections to people who clerked on SCOTUS and/or know some of the judges personally. Should I work a few years post-clerking then consider applying?

Thanks!
To give you an honest, if disappointing, answer, you are not a realistic candidate for SCOTUS. There are only three liberal Justices and absent exceptionally compelling circumstances, you would need to be in the top 5% at YHS to even be in the running. The Chief hires some liberals too, but is extremely demanding in terms of academic pedigree--think top 3-5 people at Yale or Harvard (or occasionally Stanford or Chicago). As a reference point, it is uncommon for even the #1 student at Michigan, Virginia, or Penn to clerk at the Court, much less someone just in the top 1/3. For the conservative Justices, I do not believe there is a single clerk in the upcoming three Terms that did not clerk for at least one conservative feeder judge (i.e., a judge who has fed multiple clerks in the last 5 years).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!
To give you an honest, if disappointing, answer, you are not a realistic candidate for SCOTUS. There are only three liberal Justices and absent exceptionally compelling circumstances, you would need to be in the top 5% at YHS to even be in the running. The Chief hires some liberals too, but is extremely demanding in terms of academic pedigree--think top 3-5 people at Yale or Harvard (or occasionally Stanford or Chicago). As a reference point, it is uncommon for even the #1 student at Michigan, Virginia, or Penn to clerk at the Court, much less someone just in the top 1/3. For the conservative Justices, I do not believe there is a single clerk in the upcoming three Terms that did not clerk for at least one conservative feeder judge (i.e., a judge who has fed multiple clerks in the last 5 years).
Not the OP, but similar off topic question. Do the other conservative justices require truly exceptional academic credentials (say top 5% at a T6 or top 3-5 people at the rest of the T14) as well ? Or do they relax the grades a bit for someone who snagged the right clerkships with semi-feeder or feeder conservative judges? I guess I'm just wondering if like BK or ACB would be more likely to hire a conservative applicant coming from a conservative feeder with great but not exceptional grades, or a moderate applicant coming from a liberal semi-feeder with exceptional grades.

I know this is probably not an answerable question, but I'm curious to see if anyone has any sense of this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:44 pm
Another bump for KBJ -- anyone heard anything? She had a 12/31 deadline for apps so I would expect there to have been some movement.
I'm curious about this also but, alas, haven't heard anything. I imagine it'll be impossible to get any info about Breyer but while I'm posting, I might as well try to beat that horse again. Anyone heard?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:45 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!
Not the OP, but similar off topic question. Do the other conservative justices require truly exceptional academic credentials (say top 5% at a T6 or top 3-5 people at the rest of the T14) as well ? Or do they relax the grades a bit for someone who snagged the right clerkships with semi-feeder or feeder conservative judges? I guess I'm just wondering if like BK or ACB would be more likely to hire a conservative applicant coming from a conservative feeder with great but not exceptional grades, or a moderate applicant coming from a liberal semi-feeder with exceptional grades.

I know this is probably not an answerable question, but I'm curious to see if anyone has any sense of this.
The former. There are some applicants to get SCOTUS clerkships despite not having sterling grades on both sides of the “aisle” (most visibly non-magna students at schools with Latin honors systems). But conservative justices hiring from liberal semi-feeders is basically not a thing afaik. Having exceptional grades is not enough for a SCOTUS clerkship if you’re liberal, especially if you’re a liberal white man who isn’t at YH.

jamestaylorrecordsas

New

Post by jamestaylorrecordsas » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:07 pm

Many controversial statements so I understand the need for anonymity.
Let me ax you, why so much movement?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:09 pm

KBJ has sent out an email to applicants she's interested in to participate in a writing component.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:09 pm
KBJ has sent out an email to applicants she's interested in to participate in a writing component.
That is hilarious and a bit patronizing, though SCOTUS justices can do anything they want I suppose. Sure, I have your writing sample, recommendations from your judge(s), professors, and a specialized cover letter, but what I really need is another writing test before I can decide on your candidacy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm never gonna clerk on SCOTUS, but I am curious what exactly this writing test is. Could anyone provide more detail?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:46 am
Anonymous User wrote:
That is hilarious and a bit patronizing, though SCOTUS justices can do anything they want I suppose. Sure, I have your writing sample, recommendations from your judge(s), professors, and a specialized cover letter, but what I really need is another writing test before I can decide on your candidacy.
She didn't ask for an initial writing sample.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:46 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I don't see the problem with it but I do think it's pretty unnecessary for district and circuit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!

The former. There are some applicants to get SCOTUS clerkships despite not having sterling grades on both sides of the “aisle” (most visibly non-magna students at schools with Latin honors systems). But conservative justices hiring from liberal semi-feeders is basically not a thing afaik. Having exceptional grades is not enough for a SCOTUS clerkship if you’re liberal, especially if you’re a liberal white man who isn’t at YH.
It's hard to generalize across the conservative justices. Here are my observations, after seeing many friends go through this process:

Roberts. Not at all ideological. Usually has 2-3 liberals per term. Extremely credential conscious. Looks for top students at top schools (especially Harvard, Yale, and Chicago) with top clerkships.

Thomas. Extremely ideological. Every so often a liberal slips through - usually with ambiguous politics and personal connections to "Thomasworld." Not realistic.

Alito. Rarely hires liberals. Has had some counterclerks over the years (including Biden's former White House Counsel, Dana Remus). May be willing to take a flyer on a Christian-Democrat type or on a 3rd Circuit clerk with a moving life story and an interest in public service.

Gorsuch. Looks for off-the-beaten-path clerks. He occasionally hires counterclerks, but doesn't seek them out. As the most anti-establishment justice, he's a natural fit for a civil libertarian with a penchant for originalism.

Kavanaugh. Similar to Roberts, except more emphasis on connections and slightly less on grades. Some terms he has 0 liberals; some terms he has 2-3. The liberals he hires are all moderate, DC-insider sorts.

Barrett. Similar to Alito, except more interested in moderate conservatives than firebrands. Occasionally hires liberals, but not likely to snap up a liberal semi-feeder clerk solely on the basis of grades. Personality and fit matter more.

Kennedy. Now hires almost solely on the basis of connections. Usually hires a liberal or libertarian clerk and loans to Kavanaugh or Gorsuch.

To summarize, of the conservative justices Roberts is the only one who regularly hires liberals solely based on exceptional grades. Other conservative justices may still be in play, but only if 1. you're the right type of liberal and 2. you have the right background, interests, and connections.

To that end, if you're a liberal open to clerking for a conservative SCOTUS justice you should try to counterclerk for a conservative feeder rather than a liberal semi-feeder. Kavanaugh or Gorsuch will feel much better hiring you if someone like Thapar, Wilkinson, or Sutton assures them that, in addition to being brilliant, you're trustworthy and are able to work well in a conservative environment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:53 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!

It's hard to generalize across the conservative justices. Here are my observations, after seeing many friends go through this process:

Roberts. Not at all ideological. Usually has 2-3 liberals per term. Extremely credential conscious. Looks for top students at top schools (especially Harvard, Yale, and Chicago) with top clerkships.

Thomas. Extremely ideological. Every so often a liberal slips through - usually with ambiguous politics and personal connections to "Thomasworld." Not realistic.

Alito. Rarely hires liberals. Has had some counterclerks over the years (including Biden's former White House Counsel, Dana Remus). May be willing to take a flyer on a Christian-Democrat type or on a 3rd Circuit clerk with a moving life story and an interest in public service.

Gorsuch. Looks for off-the-beaten-path clerks. He occasionally hires counterclerks, but doesn't seek them out. As the most anti-establishment justice, he's a natural fit for a civil libertarian with a penchant for originalism.

Kavanaugh. Similar to Roberts, except more emphasis on connections and slightly less on grades. Some terms he has 0 liberals; some terms he has 2-3. The liberals he hires are all moderate, DC-insider sorts.

Barrett. Similar to Alito, except more interested in moderate conservatives than firebrands. Occasionally hires liberals, but not likely to snap up a liberal semi-feeder clerk solely on the basis of grades. Personality and fit matter more.

Kennedy. Now hires almost solely on the basis of connections. Usually hires a liberal or libertarian clerk and loans to Kavanaugh or Gorsuch.

To summarize, of the conservative justices Roberts is the only one who regularly hires liberals solely based on exceptional grades. Other conservative justices may still be in play, but only if 1. you're the right type of liberal and 2. you have the right background, interests, and connections.

To that end, if you're a liberal open to clerking for a conservative SCOTUS justice you should try to counterclerk for a conservative feeder rather than a liberal semi-feeder. Kavanaugh or Gorsuch will feel much better hiring you if someone like Thapar, Wilkinson, or Sutton assures them that, in addition to being brilliant, you're trustworthy and are able to work well in a conservative environment.
This is great information/insight - would you be willing to rip similar anecdote based summaries of the liberal bloc's hiring patterns? Had a few friends go through the process but not enough for any sort of pattern recognition

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:16 pm

Has KBJ started interviewing following her writing competition?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

throwawayt14

New

Post by throwawayt14 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:22 pm
This is great information/insight - would you be willing to rip similar anecdote based summaries of the liberal bloc's hiring patterns? Had a few friends go through the process but not enough for any sort of pattern recognition
The short answer is no one knows for KBJ, and for Kagan and Sotomayor, your best chance is to get top grades at Yale or Harvard and then clerk for liberal feeders.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:53 pm

throwawayt14 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:24 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
The short answer is no one knows for KBJ, and for Kagan and Sotomayor, your best chance is to get top grades at Yale or Harvard and then clerk for liberal feeders.
Sotomayor almost certainly looks for public interesty oriented people as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:15 pm

throwawayt14 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Are there prominent "liberal feeders" anymore? Seems like all the prominent feeders (thinking Sri) are willing to flex on ideology to the point of being apolitical (to the extent someone is not far right)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:15 pm
throwawayt14 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Are there prominent "liberal feeders" anymore? Seems like all the prominent feeders (thinking Sri) are willing to flex on ideology to the point of being apolitical (to the extent someone is not far right)
Not really with Garland and Katzman gone (and neither one of them was enormously ideological, they fed to CJR at least). Pillard and Friedland are probably the closest thing, but neither is a classic "big feeder." The liberal Justices are hiring overwhelmingly from Sri, Boasberg, and then people like Thapar, Sutton, and Wilkinson who are conservative jurists but hire and place across the spectrum.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”