SCOTUS Clerkship Movement? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

SCOTUS Clerkship Movement?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:02 pm

Anyone have information about hiring/interview timelines for SCOTUS clerkships or other SCOTUS clerk hiring news? I know we have the Lat round-ups, but those are infrequent. And I'm sure there are plenty of TLS denizens that would like to know (for any number of reasons) if, e.g., a justice has interviewed or is interviewing. I'd most like to know if Sotomayor hired up for OT23, but any information not previously shared in the Lat round-ups could be useful. Seems like this type of information is routinely shared for circuit/district courts on TLS but not for SCOTUS, and I'm not sure why. (Maybe it's because the information is too closely held, but it can't hurt to ask, right?)

comingoffalittleshy

New

Re: SCOTUS Clerkship Movement?

Post by comingoffalittleshy » Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:02 pm

Why Sotomayor?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:28 am

Well, I've heard Kagan is done for OT23, but I don't know that for sure. Jackson circulated a letter from chambers saying that she will start looking early in the new year. So while any information could be valuable, I'm most interested in Sotomayor (and Breyer). But seems like TLS might not have any inside info, which is understandable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:52 am

Sotomayor has started moving.

Chokenhauer

New

Post by Chokenhauer » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:52 pm

How does someone even become aware of a Justice’s hiring schedule in a given year? Is this inside info given to certain schools/feeders’ chambers? As someone with absolutely no shot, I’d be interested in learning more just to know about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:26 pm

Chokenhauer wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:52 pm
How does someone even become aware of a Justice’s hiring schedule in a given year? Is this inside info given to certain schools/feeders’ chambers? As someone with absolutely no shot, I’d be interested in learning more just to know about it.
It varies from Justice to Justice. Several rely on their past clerks to identify candidates and, in some cases, conduct the first stages of the application and interview process. Those clerks are spread throughout firms, government, and academia, so information can trickle out that way.

But generally, the top schools have their dean and at least one faculty member (usually a SCOTUS alum) closely attuned to the process. Your school contacts you if they believe you are a strong candidate, advises you on how to build the strongest application possible (i.e., directing you to take courses and/or do research with the right professors), and handles the logistics of the application process for you, including placing phone calls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:28 pm

Chokenhauer wrote:
School I'm at tracks historical hiring practices (both timing and credentials) for current justices in clerkship database, but presents at a high level of generality.

Since most applicants double clerk before applying to SCOTUS, they are a few years alum by time they are going through that cycle. Seems like the school admin involvement is probably more "you should be applying to feeders" rather than selectively sharing SCOTUS info with law students who are likely future candidates 5-6 years down the road.

barstudyer2019

New

Post by barstudyer2019 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:26 pm
Chokenhauer wrote:
It varies from Justice to Justice. Several rely on their past clerks to identify candidates and, in some cases, conduct the first stages of the application and interview process. Those clerks are spread throughout firms, government, and academia, so information can trickle out that way.

But generally, the top schools have their dean and at least one faculty member (usually a SCOTUS alum) closely attuned to the process. Your school contacts you if they believe you are a strong candidate, advises you on how to build the strongest application possible (i.e., directing you to take courses and/or do research with the right professors), and handles the logistics of the application process for you, including placing phone calls.
Everyone on TLS always says this, but I don't think it's necessarily true. I've clerked twice, and both of my judges enthusiastically encouraged me to apply for SCOTUS. But my school (Yale) has never reached out about it. I've also never heard a real-life person from Yale talk about getting outreach from the Dean or anyone else in the school administration. Of course, professors will discuss it with students they know but even then my impression is that, in the main, the burden is on the student to express interest, etc. Which doesn't seem weird to me--that's how every other job works. If you want a job in the White House, you don't sit around and wait for a call from the Dean. Professors (or even the Dean! If you've worked with her) will help you, but it's on you to drive the train.

Anyway, I suppose it's possible that the administration secretly is doing outreach to a select few and those people are good at keeping secrets. Does anyone from Yale have firsthand experience with this? Am I completely wrong?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:17 pm

Yeah the “if you have to ask you aren’t competitive” cliche is wrong, at least at my former school (one of HSC). Or if it’s right it’s only for super-special applicants, not all applicants who are reasonably competitive for SCOTUS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:21 pm

I’ve heard through the grapevine that Kagan has extended a 2024-25 interview, but I’m by no means super plugged in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:52 am
Thanks for the response! Helpful if a bit disappointing (not that I really expected any differently). Do you think this means she has given out all the interviews she intends to and (relatedly) that she will be done for 2023-24 before the holiday break?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:17 pm
Yeah the “if you have to ask you aren’t competitive” cliche is wrong, at least at my former school (one of HSC). Or if it’s right it’s only for super-special applicants, not all applicants who are reasonably competitive for SCOTUS.
I think it depends on the school. YSHC probably has enough spots a year to give someone the opportunity to clerk for SCOTUS that isn't even in the top 3 of their class and an insane, once in a decade star. Once you get in the bottom of the T14 ( and probably even NYU/CLS/Penn) and into the T20 I think you need at least some sign that you're competitive for feeders to have a reasonable chance at SCOTUS that makes it worth pursuing

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:55 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:52 am
Thanks for the response! Helpful if a bit disappointing (not that I really expected any differently). Do you think this means she has given out all the interviews she intends to and (relatedly) that she will be done for 2023-24 before the holiday break?
I don’t think all interviews have gone out yet, but she has definitely begun doing her outreach to recommenders.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:24 pm

barstudyer2019 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Chokenhauer wrote:

Everyone on TLS always says this, but I don't think it's necessarily true. I've clerked twice, and both of my judges enthusiastically encouraged me to apply for SCOTUS. But my school (Yale) has never reached out about it. I've also never heard a real-life person from Yale talk about getting outreach from the Dean or anyone else in the school administration. Of course, professors will discuss it with students they know but even then my impression is that, in the main, the burden is on the student to express interest, etc. Which doesn't seem weird to me--that's how every other job works. If you want a job in the White House, you don't sit around and wait for a call from the Dean. Professors (or even the Dean! If you've worked with her) will help you, but it's on you to drive the train.

Anyway, I suppose it's possible that the administration secretly is doing outreach to a select few and those people are good at keeping secrets. Does anyone from Yale have firsthand experience with this? Am I completely wrong?
This is the OP you responded to--appreciate this, and this may be a distinction between YH and the rest (my advice is from UVA). It's certainly on our applicants to drive the train themselves, but the administration and faculty clerkship committee were pretty active in getting high-achieving 1L's connected with feeders (I was there just before the Plan revived, but conservative feeders still hire 1L's now), and then in counseling 2L's, 3L's, and young alums who both had a feeder clerkship and were in the top 4-5 students overall in how to approach applying for the Court.

My assumption was that Chua fills (or at least filled, pre-2019) a similar role at Yale, but it sounds like it's done a bit differently. UVA does seem to be more proactive than its fellow mid-T14s in trying to place students (and not just potential SCOTUS applicants) in clerkships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:24 pm
barstudyer2019 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Chokenhauer wrote:

This is the OP you responded to--appreciate this, and this may be a distinction between YH and the rest (my advice is from UVA). It's certainly on our applicants to drive the train themselves, but the administration and faculty clerkship committee were pretty active in getting high-achieving 1L's connected with feeders (I was there just before the Plan revived, but conservative feeders still hire 1L's now), and then in counseling 2L's, 3L's, and young alums who both had a feeder clerkship and were in the top 4-5 students overall in how to approach applying for the Court.

My assumption was that Chua fills (or at least filled, pre-2019) a similar role at Yale, but it sounds like it's done a bit differently. UVA does seem to be more proactive than its fellow mid-T14s in trying to place students (and not just potential SCOTUS applicants) in clerkships.
Another Yale graduate here who has never heard of outreach from the Dean about applying to SCOTUS. Chua pushed her favorites (and sometimes others who asked for her help), but it's not like she acted as a centralized clearinghouse who picked the most competitive candidates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:14 am

To return this thread to its original topic: I have also heard that Justice Sotomayor has reached out to recommenders. Does anyone know if that means interviews are likely to go out soon?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:28 am
Well, I've heard Kagan is done for OT23, but I don't know that for sure. Jackson circulated a letter from chambers saying that she will start looking early in the new year. So while any information could be valuable, I'm most interested in Sotomayor (and Breyer). But seems like TLS might not have any inside info, which is understandable.
What does the letter say/who was it circulated to?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:31 pm

Any one have any updates? I heard that some interviews have gone out for some of the liberals but nothing recent on the conservative side?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:25 pm

edit
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:28 am
This seems like an especially long shot, but anyone have any info whatsoever about Breyer? Has he already hired for OT23? If not, timeline for when he will? How/when he hired for last Term? Has his process changed since he retired? Would love any info anyone has!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:31 pm
Any one have any updates? I heard that some interviews have gone out for some of the liberals but nothing recent on the conservative side?
David Lat has reported that all 6 conservatives are done for 23. CT, NMG, and BMK are done for 24. BMK has hired at least 2 for 25.

On the liberal side, EK is done for 23 and has begun hiring for 24.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:34 pm

This is so helpful thanks! Anyone know if Sotomayor or Breyer are interviewing for 2023?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:12 am

When does one typically apply to Thomas, Gorsuch, and Alito?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:34 pm
This is so helpful thanks! Anyone know if Sotomayor or Breyer are interviewing for 2023?
I don't know if Breyer is interviewing, but Sotomayor is interviewing this week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:54 pm

Has anyone heard of KBJ movement after the 12/31 submission deadline for apps?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”