Does the judge call to reject? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Does the judge call to reject?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:56 am

Had an interview recently and was just wondering if the judge ever calls to reject you? I've only ever received letters rejecting me or been ghosted. I know the judge will call to extend an offer, but do they ever call to reject you?

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Does the judge call to reject?

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:28 am

Usually no. But it did happen to me once.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:41 am

When Sotomayor was a Second Circuit judge she would call people she interviewed and then rejected and be really encouraging and nice and giving them advice and just telling them to please not take this personally. No idea if she still does this as a Justice. Regardless, it speaks really highly of her character that she would take the time to do this and make those difficult calls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:54 am

I've never heard of getting a reject call after an interview. It's always an email or letter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:38 pm

A district judge's career clerk called to reject me post-interview when I was applying to district court clerkships in 2017. It's obviously a huge emotional roller coaster.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:42 pm

A judge once called me to reject me. I would have preferred to just get an email, it was very awk.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:44 pm

Yes, some judges do call to reject. It isn’t the norm, but it does happen.

It is a dumb practice. The emotional whiplash from hearing “Hi, this is Judge so-and-so” to “unfortunately…” makes it impossible to actually hear and internalize whatever career advice or personal encouragement the judge thinks they’re giving.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:51 am

My judge had the career clerk call and shot down people he interviewed but didn't go with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:58 am

Happened to me twice. Once the judge left a voicemail and had me call him back to find out I didn't get hired. It was a nice call but still intense whiplash there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:38 pm
A district judge's career clerk called to reject me post-interview when I was applying to district court clerkships in 2017. It's obviously a huge emotional roller coaster.
Yeah, when I was a law student on the west coast, some idiot on the east coast who was a law clerk for a judge I had applied to called me at 6am. I didn't pick up so I received an obnoxiously impersonal rejection voicemail from a law clerk who doesn't know about America's time zones.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”