Post-Clerkship Recruiter or Self-Apply? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Post-Clerkship Recruiter or Self-Apply?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:00 pm

Hi all. I'm finishing up a federal clerkship and want to return to Chicago to practice business litigation (specifically antitrust/white collar crime). Went to a T25, median grades, strong recommendations from federal judges and law school professors.

I've been told to stay away from certain recruiters, who will do nothing except forward a resume. Is it better to use a recruiter for a post-clerkship position, or just send out applications and network on my own?

Thank you!

Anonymous User

Re: Post-Clerkship Recruiter or Self-Apply?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:43 am

I could have written this post. Exactly the same situation as me. I've heard Chicago is such a big market you don't really need a recruiter, if you just want something general like business lit.

uchioci

New

Post by uchioci » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:16 am

I could be mistaken, but I recall that it is not a good idea to hire a recruiter as a new attorney coming out of a clerkship. It makes the cost too high, for too new of an associate, for firms. This was also in the context of the Chicago market, tho I do not know if its market specific advice.

Antetrust

New

Post by Antetrust » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:26 pm

Hello! Me next year could have written a similar post :). I would love to connect with budding antitrust attorneys such as yourselves! No pressure, but if you'd like to connect then please send me a message. :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:20 am

Not Chicago, but in Houston, I found success with both. I thought the recruiters I worked with had good relationships with boutique firms who wanted a very specific candidate that recruiters could screen for more easily than the firm. I don't think a recruiter helped with the big firms. Of course, again, different market and all ancedotal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:20 am
Not Chicago, but in Houston, I found success with both. I thought the recruiters I worked with had good relationships with boutique firms who wanted a very specific candidate that recruiters could screen for more easily than the firm. I don't think a recruiter helped with the big firms. Of course, again, different market and all ancedotal.
I'm in Texas right now! Which recruiters, if you don't mind? Would you be able to put me in touch with them?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”