Maximizing chances at SCOTUS Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Maximizing chances at SCOTUS

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:39 pm

Recent CCNMVP grad (sorry trying to avoid being too specific for anonymity reasons), 3.9X GPA (school does not officially rank but I would imagine I’m within the top 3-5 grads), liberal, have circuit court clerkship on 2/9 lined up followed by district court clerkship (DDC/SDNY). Neither clerkship is with a feeder (though both judges have fed on occasion). Currently working in big law at a top firm—but one that does little to no appellate work.

Have been encouraged by my school’s clerkship office to try for SCOTUS down the line, and figured I might as well shoot my shot. Professors (a handful of big names and more junior faculty — I was not particularly strategic during law school) have agreed to push hard when the time comes. Clerkships office has not been traditionally strong at placing students at SCOTUS.

Knowing that I wouldn’t apply for at least a couple more years, what are the things I should consider doing to maximize my chances? [Not really looking for comments about how my chances are minimal — I’m a liberal, and I know the odds are incredibly long.]

Aim to break into appellate practice in DC after clerking? Try to gain more experience on the con law/admin front somehow (public interest fellowships)? Make sure I stay on my faculty’s radar? Impress my judges while clerking so they can vouch for me as “one of their best clerks ever” or something (not sure if this even will matter much if they’re not feeders/they don’t have the ears of specific Justices)? Would appreciate any thoughts from folks with insight into the process. Trying to get a sense of what singlemindedly chasing this for a few years (with failure practically certain) would look like.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”