Last Semester of Law School Advice Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
brownhairnyc

New

Last Semester of Law School Advice

Post by brownhairnyc » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:21 am

I interned for EDNY judge & big federal agency during law school. Going into biglaw after graduation. Next semester, I really want to intern at USAO. If I do this, then I don't have room in my schedule to take fed courts. Although I might be able to do this solely on a volunteer basis. Is fed courts absolutely necessary? I've heard mixed reviews.

Or, should I do another judicial internship at SDNY/EDNY? I would love to transition to USAO after some time in biglaw.

Share advice as this is stressing me out!!

Anonymous User

Re: Last Semester of Law School Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:28 pm

I didn’t take fed courts and my career has turned out fine (though I do think it’s important to take if you can).

Generally, if you want to get an AUSA gig, interning for a USAO is much more helpful than another judicial externship. It may be that there’s an SDNY/EDNY judge who will go to bat for an intern enough to get you into the USAO, but I think USAO experience is still going to be more helpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:00 pm

brownhairnyc wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:21 am
I interned for EDNY judge & big federal agency during law school. Going into biglaw after graduation. Next semester, I really want to intern at USAO. If I do this, then I don't have room in my schedule to take fed courts. Although I might be able to do this solely on a volunteer basis. Is fed courts absolutely necessary? I've heard mixed reviews.

Or, should I do another judicial internship at SDNY/EDNY? I would love to transition to USAO after some time in biglaw.

Share advice as this is stressing me out!!
One of my mentors who is a highly accomplished lawyer admitted to me that she regrets not having taken Fed Courts. I think interning at USAO is such a great opportunity though, and I wonder if there is any way for you to do both.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:28 pm
I didn’t take fed courts and my career has turned out fine (though I do think it’s important to take if you can).

Generally, if you want to get an AUSA gig, interning for a USAO is much more helpful than another judicial externship. It may be that there’s an SDNY/EDNY judge who will go to bat for an intern enough to get you into the USAO, but I think USAO experience is still going to be more helpful.
I think FedCourts is super important - it just comes up so much when clerking, you really want to have a good handle on the topics.

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:02 pm

the best option is probably to "volunteer" at the USAO if that allows you to take fed courts. if you must choose between them, do the USAO externship

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:53 pm

jotarokujo wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:02 pm
the best option is probably to "volunteer" at the USAO if that allows you to take fed courts. if you must choose between them, do the USAO externship
Seconding this. If you go into fed courts with the goal to just get through it with a B or B+, it probably wouldn't be too much more work or stress than any normal class and you'd hugely benefit vs. not taking it at all or vs. taking some other random class. And I have to imagine the value of having a connect at the USAO dramatically outweighs a better grade on your transcript

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”