Pre-Plan CoA Judges - Application Advice? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Pre-Plan CoA Judges - Application Advice?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:05 pm

I came out of 1L in roughly the top 5% + LR at HYSC. I’m not affiliated with FedSoc or ACS (I don’t really feel like either is an ideological home for me) and am planning to send the bulk of my clerkship apps in on the plan next June, but I am also interested in applying early to a few off-plan judges for 2025-26 — conservative is fine so long as they hire non-conservative clerks.

Our clerkship office is fairly unhelpful this early in the process so I’m trying to gather intel on which judges (I’m geographically flexible) I should be targeting pre-plan with my credentials. Any advice would be appreciated!

Anonymous User

Re: Pre-Plan CoA Judges - Application Advice?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:10 pm

You're not really gonna get anywhere at this stage without some sort of connection. Most of these connections are fed soc, but it is possible that it could be through a Professor. My advice is honestly to wait until June and just apply on plan, but if you really, really want to approach your Professors for LORs and then ask if they have any judges they would recommend you apply to. The "ask," of course, is two-tiered. You are trying to discern good matches, but a hope from the ask is going to be that the Professor offers to connect you with the judge.

Again, though, in your situation I would really just try to focus on grades and worry about this later and apply on plan. If you want to do pre-plan, you should be involved in Fed Soc and since you're not pre-plan is probably not going to be in the cards for you

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:56 pm

You're at Chicago, there's no reason to apply on plan if you're willing to clerk for a right-of-center judge. FedSoc isn't the only game in town. You should talk to your professors and then apply to every conservative feeder/semi-feeder known to hire moderates/liberals. If you get one and keep your grades up, you have an outside shot at SCOTUS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:10 pm
[A]pproach your Professors for LORs and then ask if they have any judges they would recommend you apply to. The "ask," of course, is two-tiered. You are trying to discern good matches, but a hope from the ask is going to be that the Professor offers to connect you with the judge.
This is good advice.
Anonymous User wrote:
You're not really gonna get anywhere at this stage without some sort of connection.... My advice is honestly to wait until June and just apply on plan....

Again, though, in your situation I would really just try to focus on grades and worry about this later and apply on plan. If you want to do pre-plan, you should be involved in Fed Soc and since you're not pre-plan is probably not going to be in the cards for you
This is not good advice. After 1L, I secured a clerkship with a conservative semi-feeder who hires liberals. I didn't have FedSoc, I didn't benefit from a professor connection, and I didn't go to HYSC. I just mailed an application.

OP, get talking to potential recommenders immediately and get applications in the mail as soon as you possibly can. Be selective—you're in a great position, especially if you keep building relationships with the right professors at your school. But get cracking, because a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Those relationships can still pay off down the road, of course, and being on top of things right now may improve the odds by signalling to those professors that you're serious.

You can find info on feeders/semi-feeders elsewhere on this forum. Mail applications to all of them you'd be willing to work for. In the course of asking advice from potential recommenders, their connections may come up, but that's gravy. Capitalize on being in pole position right now, rather than hoping to be picked out of the pile in June.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
You're not really gonna get anywhere at this stage without some sort of connection. Most of these connections are fed soc, but it is possible that it could be through a Professor. My advice is honestly to wait until June and just apply on plan, but if you really, really want to approach your Professors for LORs and then ask if they have any judges they would recommend you apply to. The "ask," of course, is two-tiered. You are trying to discern good matches, but a hope from the ask is going to be that the Professor offers to connect you with the judge.

This advice is so bad that it could not have been given by someone actually competent to give advice on the clerkship market. Plenty of judges hire students without Fed Soc or connections off-plan.

I’m not sure what you’re asking specifically OP. Line up rec letters and apply to judges, and do it quickly. You’ll get some bites. More likely for 2025-26 or 2026-27 than for 2024-25 though.

Here’s a quick list of judges I would consider. Most to all of these hire off-plan, aren’t nutty, are reasonably selective, and hire liberals.

2: Park, and if they take apps off-plan (idk), Bianco, Livingston, and Sullivan.
3: Bibas, Hardiman, Phipps. I’m not sure if Matey hires liberals but if he does he’s maybe worth a shot.
4: Richardson. I have heard that clerking for Wilkinson is no longer a good experience and would avoid on that ground, but otherwise would list him.
5: Willett.
6: Kethledge, Larsen, Murphy, Sutton, Thapar.
7: Kirsch.
8: Stras.
9: Bennett, Bumatay, Bress, Collins, Ikuta, Lee. I’m not positive that the first three hire liberals though.
10: Tymkovich, and Eid if she takes apps off-plan.
11: Newsom, Grant. I don’t know enough about Brasher, Carnes, Lagoa, or Luck to recommend or not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:47 pm
11: Newsom, Grant. I don’t know enough about Brasher, Carnes, Lagoa, or Luck to recommend or not.
Lagoa falls somewhere around Samuel Alito on the ideological spectrum. Assuming OP doesn't consider himself or herself to be a conservative, I'd avoid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This advice is so bad that it could not have been given by someone actually competent to give advice on the clerkship market. Plenty of judges hire students without Fed Soc or connections off-plan.

I’m not sure what you’re asking specifically OP. Line up rec letters and apply to judges, and do it quickly. You’ll get some bites. More likely for 2025-26 or 2026-27 than for 2024-25 though.

Here’s a quick list of judges I would consider. Most to all of these hire off-plan, aren’t nutty, are reasonably selective, and hire liberals.

2: Park, and if they take apps off-plan (idk), Bianco, Livingston, and Sullivan.
3: Bibas, Hardiman, Phipps. I’m not sure if Matey hires liberals but if he does he’s maybe worth a shot.
4: Richardson. I have heard that clerking for Wilkinson is no longer a good experience and would avoid on that ground, but otherwise would list him.
7: Sykes, Kirsch
9: Bybee, Bennett, Bumatay, Bress, Collins, Ikuta, Lee. I’m not positive that the first three hire liberals though.
Agree with all the names on the list. Some friendly additions in bold.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:28 am

OP here — these replies are incredibly helpful, especially the recommended list of judges. I really appreciate the time you took to put that together. I have recommenders lined up and am preparing apps to go out by the end of the month hopefully.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I am the poster who wrote this. I know when I'm wrong and I'll withdraw—appears I have gotten bad information.

I do stand by my quasi-fake ask which judges I should apply to thing with the hopes that a Professor offers to connect you with someone as that worked for me and my friends.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:23 am
Anonymous User wrote:

2: Park, and if they take apps off-plan (idk), Bianco, Livingston, and Sullivan. Livingston was on plan as of 2-3 years ago at least. Park saved a spot or two for the plan in prior years, and is pretty 'best athlete' in hiring.
3: Bibas, Hardiman, Phipps. I’m not sure if Matey hires liberals but if he does he’s maybe worth a shot. Matey has hired liberals (and is a great guy by all accounts)-- would help with him in particular to have a professor call. Bibas seems pretty non-ideological in hiring.
9: Bybee, Bennett, Bumatay, Bress, Collins, Ikuta, Lee. I’m not positive that the first three hire liberals though. This is second-hand but pretty sure Bumatay hires liberals.
my comments in italics, also agree generally with list

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

2: Park, and if they take apps off-plan (idk), Bianco, Livingston, and Sullivan. Livingston was on plan as of 2-3 years ago at least. Park saved a spot or two for the plan in prior years, and is pretty 'best athlete' in hiring.
3: Bibas, Hardiman, Phipps. I’m not sure if Matey hires liberals but if he does he’s maybe worth a shot. Matey has hired liberals (and is a great guy by all accounts)-- would help with him in particular to have a professor call. Bibas seems pretty non-ideological in hiring.
9: Bybee, Bennett, Bumatay, Bress, Collins, Ikuta, Lee. I’m not positive that the first three hire liberals though. This is second-hand but pretty sure Bumatay hires liberals.
Judge Bybee is a great judge to work for, but he follows the plan.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

9: Bennett, Bumatay, Bress, Collins, Ikuta, Lee. I’m not positive that the first three hire liberals though.
Bumatay hires clerks with a provable interest in originalism, which means he generally hires conservatives, but that's a function of what sort of person is most interested in originalism rather than a function of his political preferences. Moderate/progressive originalists with good grades are very much in the mix, and he's hired some before.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:17 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Bumatay hires clerks with a provable interest in originalism, which means he generally hires conservatives, but that's a function of what sort of person is most interested in originalism rather than a function of his political preferences. Moderate/progressive originalists with good grades are very much in the mix, and he's hired some before.
Can you elaborate on why Wilkinson is no longer a good experience?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:28 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My understanding is that he doesn’t go into the office anymore

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:15 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is that just because of COVID? Would love to know the answer b/c I am seriously thinking about applying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:23 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is that just because of COVID? Would love to know the answer b/c I am seriously thinking about applying.
Different anon confirming. It’s because of Covid, but as of this term, he still isn’t going into the office and his clerks don’t interact with him much. He also used to have all of his clerks run with him but now only picks one, which sounds trivial, but when it’s your only real interface with your judge that’s a big deal. He may change back eventually but my general impression is that his tendency towards eccentricity has increased as he’s aged.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:23 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Different anon confirming. It’s because of Covid, but as of this term, he still isn’t going into the office and his clerks don’t interact with him much. He also used to have all of his clerks run with him but now only picks one, which sounds trivial, but when it’s your only real interface with your judge that’s a big deal. He may change back eventually but my general impression is that his tendency towards eccentricity has increased as he’s aged.
What are the other eccentricities?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:30 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can confirm on both counts. He also does not hire ideologically.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:30 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can confirm on both counts. He also does not hire ideologically.
Bibbas definitely hires left leaning people, have a friend who was involved in ACS who clerked for him

cirilec805

New

Post by cirilec805 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Eid hires off plan and she definitely hires liberals. The only issue is she is very slow. If she were interested, she probably wouldn’t move until just about after every other judge on this list.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:11 pm

cirilec805 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:21 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Eid hires off plan and she definitely hires liberals. The only issue is she is very slow. If she were interested, she probably wouldn’t move until just about after every other judge on this list.
I believe that Eid used to exclusively hire from Chicago, Colorado, and Denver, though I don’t know if that’s still true since she was elevated. I know that age continues to hire heavily from Chicago.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”